Breakthrough Guest Star on TMS?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
This is something I've been pondering for a while now.

On Wikipedia I read that the Muppet Show had started being taken seriously when Rudolf Nureyev was a guest star in season 2. But I remember hearing somewhere else that it was when Lena Horne guest starred in season 1 that people started taking notice. Does anyone have any idea when the breakthrough for the series was?

Also, on the subject of guest stars, can someone who saw TMS in it's first run fill me in on something: Were alot of the stars A-listers at the time? There are alot of names that are still around, but alot of the guest stars are only vaguely familiar and I have to google them. I

t makes me wonder how famous they were, and if the guest stars weren't always the front of the line movie stars at the time, maybe that's why it's hard to pinpoint when the show struck a chord with the audience by having a great, familiar guest star?

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Also, on the subject of guest stars, can someone who saw TMS in it's first run fill me in on something: Were alot of the stars A-listers at the time? There are alot of names that are still around, but alot of the guest stars are only vaguely familiar and I have to google them.
Hmmm...I'm really not sure who the first breakout guest star on TMS was, Pepper, but I can give you a quick rundown on the stars in that first season, and what they were best known for when they did the show.

Jim Nabors - actor and singer; appeared on The Andy Griffith Show and his own sitcom, Gomer Pyle.

Sandy Duncan - stage, film and TV actress; appeared in Neil Simon's The Star-Spangled Girl and the Disney flick The Million Dollar Duck. Later she replaced fellow first-season guest Valerie Harper on the sitcom Valerie's Family, renamed The Hogan Family when Sandy came aboard. The show featured a young Jason Bateman.

Rita Moreno - Oscar, Emmy and Tony-Award winning actress who played Anita in the film version of West Side Story, and was one of the regulars on The Electric Company.

Ruth Buzzi - at the time, Buzzi was known as a Broadway actress, but she made her mark on pop culture as a regular on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In, a late 60s/early 70s sketch comedy show that featured then-unknowns such as Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin.

Joel Grey - Tony and Oscar-winning actor and singer, who appeared in the original Broadway version of Cabaret (1966) as the Emcee, and reprised the role in the 1972 movie. In 1987, he played the role again in a revival of the show. Grey has appeared in film, and several other Broadway shows including George M! (based on the life of Broadway legend George M. Cohan--the same figure played by James Cagney in the classic film Yankee Doodle Dandy) and the 1996 Broadway revival of Chicago.

Paul Williams - singer, composer and actor, Paul of course wrote tunes for The Muppet Movie and The Muppet Christmas Carol. When he appeared on the show, he had released several albums and had many of his songs covered by other artists, including "Old Fashioned Love Song" by Three Dog Night. Paul wrote several hits for the Carpenters, and appeared in films such as The Loved One, Phantom of the Paradise and one of the last (if not the last) sequels to Planet of the Apes. Was also a regular on game shows.

Lena Horne - legendary singer whose career dates back to the 1930s.

Peter Ustinov - a supurb award-winning actor and playwright (among many other talents), Ustinov was one of the biggest guest stars of the first season.

Florence Henderson - Carol Brady, of course. But also a singer, actress and commercial spokesperson. Appeared in many musicals, including revivals of several Rodgers and Hammerstein classics.

Valerie Harper - sitcom star from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show," whose character got her own spinoff, "Rhoda."

Candice Bergen - daughter of ventriloquist Edgar Bergen, by '76, Candice was an established actress, playwright and photographer. She had recently appeared in The Wind and the Lion prior to her TMS gig. Later headed her own sitcom, "Murphy Brown."

Bruce Forsyth - popular British entertainer who had been in the business almost 40 years by the time he did TMS, and he's still active today. Host of several popular game shows over the years, and was awarded the TV Times Male TV Personality of the Year Award four years in a row. Was also awarded the Greatest U.K. Game Show Host of All Time twice, and has other awards, including an O.B.E. The London Palladium has a bronze bust of Bruce.

Harvey Korman - comic actor whose most notable film role at the time was probably Blazing Saddles. A regular on The Carol Burnett Show.

Charles Aznavour - popular French singer and actor; appeared in the leading role in Francois Truffaut's Shoot the Piano Player.

Ben Vereen - another award-winning actor and singer, Ben appeared in such musicals as Hair, Jesus Christ Superstar (as Judas) and originated the role of the Player in Pippin.

Vincent Price - stage and screen actor, who often played leading men before becoming a horror icon in the 1950s, with films such as House of Wax, The Fly, The House on Haunted Hill, House of Usher, The Pit and the Pendulum, Theatre of Blood, The Abominable Dr. Phibes and more. Price was also a noted gourmet, and author of several cookbooks; he was also a serious collector of art, and shared his knowledge with the public through lectures and advice in magazines. Possibly season 1's biggest guest star, with almost 100 films to his credit.

Twiggy - iconic British model from the 1960s; broke into film with Ken Russell's musical The Boy Friend.

Phyllis Diller - legendary stand-up comic, still active today; discovered by Bob Hope, whom she appeared with on stage and in film. Made many TV appearances.

Ethel Merman - Broadway belter, who starred in the original productions of Anything Goes and Gypsy, among others.

Connie Stevens - actress and singer from the 1950s/1960s.

Avery Schreiber - comedian, part of the comedy team Burns and Schreiber. The "Burns" is Jack Burns, head writer for the first season of the show.

Juliet Prowse - dancer and entertainer; work in film includes Elvis Presley's first post-Army flick, G.I. Blues.

Kaye Ballard - actress and singer; a familiar face on sitcoms and game shows.

Mummenschanz - mime group.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Well, I (obviously) wasn't around for the first run, but I know the majority of the guest stars from season one also appeared on other popular variety shows from that time like Flip Wilson (one of my favorites).

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think the general feeling is they were all experienced and well known artists in the entertainment field, though some may have been more "mainstream" than others.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mummenschanz - mime group.
I wonder if that made them mainstream with that appearance. Certainly, you can tell that they were the exact sort of act Jim Henson himself liked (as is evident in his earlier works, and films like Timepiece). they even incorporated it into an episode of Muppet babies... I'm not sure what the episode is, but they are clearly visable in this clip

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Actually I was very surprised. I mentioned Mummenschanz to my Father and he instantly knew who I was talking about (and he had no idea they'd been on The Muppet Show). Apparently, they did have a following at that time in the '70s. Which makes sense, there was also a show called Shields and Yarnell on TV in the '70s, hosted by two mimes.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Thanks for the breakdown, Winslow. Alot of them I knew the names but were unfamiliar with what they did. Alot of the guest stars (Brooke Shields comes to mind) did quite a bit more after their guest appearances which is how I know them.

So somehow TMS managed to get really famous people off the bat, which is cool. But still sort of answered is whether or not there was a guest start/act on the show that really helped TMS break into the mainstream? I mean, it's not the most syndicated show for nothing, right? Or rather is imore likely that instead of a breakthrough guest, its a combination of all the guest stars over time?

peyjenk

Reaction score
What I have heard over and over is that most of the big-name first season stars like Ethel Merman were other clients of Henson's agent; and that when Nureyev agreed to do season 2, that opened the door to other big stars asking to do the show instead of being asked.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Or rather is imore likely that instead of a breakthrough guest, its a combination of all the guest stars over time?
I'm pretty sure (I could be wrong) that prior to Nureyev, it was more the show, rather than a certain guest star that made TMS take off. The Muppets had been around for over 20 years by the time TMS debuted, and I assume those first audiences either grew up with them from the Sam & Friends/Jimmy Dean/Ed Sullivan days, or kids who had watched Sesame Street. So as far as season 1 is concerned, I don't think it was a particular guest, per se, but rather the novelty of seeing a (mostly) new batch of Muppets in primetime.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Actually I was very surprised. I mentioned Mummenschanz to my Father and he instantly knew who I was talking about (and he had no idea they'd been on The Muppet Show). Apparently, they did have a following at that time in the '70s. Which makes sense, there was also a show called Shields and Yarnell on TV in the '70s, hosted by two mimes.
I actually first heard about Mummenschanz from TMS. Shields and Yarnell were guests on TMS in season 4.