Muppets in Toyfare's 100 Greatest Toys

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Hello fellow Muppet fans

I just thought I would share some info on among one of mine (and I'm sure your's) favorite toy line, The Muppets. Well I'm a reader of Toyfare magazine and in this issue, October 2007, for their 10th anniverisary, they did a list of the 100 greatest toys of the Decade (1997-2007), and guess what a few of our favorite Muppets made the list, :excited: :wink: . Which include

1) Jareth The Goblin King from Neca (needless to say not part of the Muppet line, but since it's from Jim Henson's classic film, I thought I would mention it anyway.) At number 91

2) Sweetums at number 42

3) Fozzie Bear from series 2 at 38

4)The Swedish Kitchen with Swedish Chef playset at 25

5) Super Gover at number 21

And making it to the top 20, the Muppet figure that I guess Toyfare considers the greatest of all the Muppet figures...

Adventure Kermit at number 15.

Now needless to say, we all think different, so let's disscuss, any figures you would have wanted on a list? Agree with the list? What? I personally might have put Janice (series 5) on my list and probably Rowlf (series 3). But overall I'm just happy this many Muppet figures gets the respect this line deserves and made the list at all.

matleo

Reaction score
Well, I'm a little surprised ot see Fozzie on there. He's a good figure no doubt, but there are a number of characters I think they did better. But as i think about it, most of those characters are the more obscure ones (Lew, Pops, Johnny, etc.) and I guess out of the real main 6 or 7 characters he really is the best besides Kermit (who is already kinda on there with the Adventure Kermit figure)

I'm also a little disappointed that the backstage playset isn't on the list. To be honest (and my apologies oty Ken Lilly wherever you are) but the kitchen was laways my least favorite set. I know it has a lot of detail and it came crammed with stuff, but it never quite worked for me as a playset. Now the backstage on the other hand! I love that thing! And i personally believe that that and Sweetums are the two greatest Muppets toys ever made. Awesome display piece and a great way to close out the line.

--Matt

rexcrk

Reaction score
I would've put Gonzo from Series 5 in my list definitely. Probably mostly due to character-bias since he's my favorite but it was an amazing sculpt too!

And JJandJanice, I was wondering if you could either pm me a list of the rest of the figures or post it here. I'm curious to see what other toys are on the list :smile:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I would've put Gonzo from Series 5 in my list definitely. Probably mostly due to character-bias since he's my favorite but it was an amazing sculpt too!

And JJandJanice, I was wondering if you could either pm me a list of the rest of the figures or post it here. I'm curious to see what other toys are on the list
Yeah I think Gonzo would be a good choice as well. As far as posting the rest of the list, sure Rexcrk I'll be happy to, I'll just post it here on this thread.

This list really should of been called the 100 greatest action figures though.

100) Iron Man from the Marvel minimates line made by Diamond Select Toys/Art Asylum (This figure was packaged with Ghost Rider)
99) The Joker from Justice League by DC Direct.
98) Ultimate Warrior from the WWE Classic Superstar line by Jakks Pacific
97) Angel from Buffy Palz by Palisades Toys.
96) Phantom Of The Opera Playset from McFarlane Monsters by McFarlane toys.
95) Hal Jordan Green Lantern by DC Direct
94) Gandalf The White Lord Of The Rings Minimates from Art Asylum
93) Nightcrawler X2: X-Men United by Toy Biz
92) The Horrid Spawn, McFarlane Toys
91) Jareth The Goblin King Labyrinth by Neca
90) Supergirl DC Stars from Tonner Doll. (This is really a doll, but one nice looking doll valued at $100)
89) Mandarin Spawn Spawn, McFarlane toys
88) Cobra Commander G.I Joe Sigma 6 from Hasbro
87) Crazy 88 Director Quentin Tarantino Kill Bill, Neca
86) Ice Armor He-Man Masters of the Univerise by Mattel
85) Jack Skellington The Nightmare Before Christmas from Neca
84) Guile Street Fighter from SOTA
83) Wolverine (Brown Costume) Marvel Legends Toy Biz
82) Marv Sin City from McFarlane Toys
81) Stormtrooper Star Wars Vintage Original Trilogy Collection, Hasbro

Well I'm sorry but I have to start getting ready for some things for today, but don't worry I'll be sure to post the rest of the list later. As for what I think so far of this list...

Ultimate Warrior at number 98: For anyone who a 80's/ early 90's wrestling fan this is one figure you can't do without, the greatest figure of the Warrior man ever.

Jareth The Goblin King (91) This is a figure fans have been waiting 20 years for and man it pretty much worth the wait. Neca did a great job, as they always do with there figures.

SuperGirl (90) This is a doll I would be proud to have and call a doll. Heck at the risk of losing Macho points if all Barbies looked like Supergirl here I would probably start collecting Barbies, :concern: , Supergirl even has bouncy curls. Amazing.

Jack Skellington (85) Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my all time favorite movies and once agian Neca does this movie justice with the figures. Jack is a must have for any fan of this Tim Burton classic film. Although I think Sally was also one awesome figure and if this list was made by me, I probably would of added her. (She didn't make the list at all.)

Well like I said I'll be sure to post the rest of the list later, probably with more of my thoughts, :smile: . Later :wink:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Well as I said I'm going to do more of the Toyfare list. I ended last on 81, so...

80) Starscream World's smallest transformers, Takara
79) Mr. Spock Star Trek, The Original Series, Art Asylum
78) Han Solo & Tauntaun Star Wars Collection series, Hasbro
77) Hulk Marvel Legends Face Off, Toy Biz (package with The Leader)
76) Green Lantern Dc Deluxe, DC Direct
75) Meister Transformers Alternators, Hasbro
74) Batman DC Super Heroes
73) Grimlock Transformers Classics, Hasbro
72) Storm Shadow G.I Joe 25th Anniversary 5-packs, Hasbro
71) Harry Potter Harry Potter And the Order Of Phoenix
70) Stephen Hawking Simpsons, Playmates
69) Final War Godzilla Microman Kiguru, Takara
68) 10th Anniversary Spawn Spawn McFarlane toys
67) Captain America Marvel Legends, Toys Biz
66) Clubber Lang (Street Gear) Rocky III, Jakks Pacific
65) Kaneda W/ Motorcycle 3-D Animation From Japan, McFarlane Toys
64) Patrick "Iron" O'Brian Gangsters, Mezco
63) Catwoman Microman, Takara
62) Darth Vader Real Action Heroes, Medicom
61) Bowser W/ Go-Cart Super Mario Kart, Toy Biz
60) Green Goblin Marvel Lengends Toy Biz
59) Mechana Segmented Robot w/Bear
58) Boba Fett Stars Wars Vintage Original Trilogy Collection, Hasbro
57) Hulk Bester Iron Man Marvel Legends Toy Biz
56) Batman DC Deluxe Dc Direct
55) Kilowog Green Lantern, DC Direct
54) Ultimate Iron Giant The Iron Giant, Trendmasters
53) Colossus Marvel Legends Toy Biz
52) Unicron Transformers: Armada, hasbro
51) Monev The Gale Trigun: The Planet Gunsmoke, Kaiyooo
50) Hawkman Superman/Batman, DC Direct
49) Juggernaut Marvel Legends, Toy biz
48) "Pipper's Pit" Rowdy Roddy Pipper WWE Classic Superstars, Jakks Pacific
47) Helm's Deep Legolab Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers, Toy Biz
46) Devastator Transformers Classics, Hasbro
45) VF-1A Veritech Fighter (1/60 scale) Macross Do You Remember Love, Yamato
44) Quick Slinger Xevoz, Hasbro
43) Soundwave MP3 Player Transformers Music Label, Takara
42) Sweetums The Muppets, Palisades Toys
41) "Graduation Day" Buffy Buffy The Vampire Slayer Deluxe Series, Diamond Select Toys
40) Kwik-E-Mart W/ Apu Simpsons, Playmates
39) Robocop Hot Toys
38) Fozzie Bear The Muppets, Palisades Toys
37) Eva-01 Revoltech, Kaiyoo
36) Predator The Hunter Alien & Predator, McFarlane
35) Hyper Guardian Xevoz, Hasbro
34) Alien Queen Movie Maniacs, McFarlane toys
33) Bela Lugosi As Dracula Flatt World Figures
32) Mecha Hulk Incredible Hulk Toy Biz
31) Gundan RX-78-2
30) First Appearance Batman Hasbro (figure was package with a Masterpiece Edition book)
29) Lex Luthor DC Super Heroes, Mattel
28) Wetsuit lara Croft Tomb Raider 2: The Cradle Of Life, SOTA Toys
27) Millennium Falcon Han Solo & Chewbacca Stars Wars Transformers, Hasbro
26) Ultimate Bruce Lee Art Asylum
25) Swedish Kitchen w/ Swedish Chef The Muppets, Palisades
24) Keldor Masters Of The Universe, Mattel
23) Millennium Falcon #4504 Star Wars, Lego
22) Snake Eyes (version 2) G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary, Hasbro
21) Super Grover Sesame Street, Palisades
20) Cloud Strife w/Fenrir Final Fantasy: Advent Children Play Arts, Square Enix
19) Royal Naboo Starship Star Wars: Episode 1, Hasbro
18) Galactus Marvel Legends, Toy Biz
17) Masterpiece Megatron Transformers, Takara,
16) Sigma Strike Duke w/ P.O.W.E.R Armor G.I. Joe: Sigma 6, Hasbro
15) Adventure Kermit The Muppets, Palisades Toys
14) Balrog Lord Of The Rings Epic Scale, NECA
13) Darth Maul Lords Of The Sith, Sideshow Toys,
12) Indiana Jones Toys McCoy
11) Sentinel Marvel Legends series 10, Toy biz
10) LT. Stone G.I. Joe: Sigma 6, Hasbro
9) Superman JLA DC Direct
8) Deluxe Hellboy w/ Japanese Heads Hellboy, Mezco
7) Masterpiece Voltron Toynami
6) Pitt Legendary Comic Book Heroes, Marvel Toys
5) Space Ghost Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast, Toycom
4) Trap Jaw Masters Of The universe, Mattel
3) Sauron LOTR, Toy Biz
2) Amazing Spider-Man Spider-Man 2, Toy Biz
1) 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime Hasbro

karamazov80

Reaction score
First off, JJandJanice, thanks a lot for posting that. It was very nice of you to spend your time doing such. Regarding the Muppets, I think, of the ones that I have, anyway, that Dr. Teeth belongs. He is too cool.

On a general note, being a collector of all kinds of figures, I am a little surprised by some of the choices overall. However, 20th Anniversary Prime does deserve first place in my opinion. That is one of the greatest toys I have ever seen or owned.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
First off, JJandJanice, thanks a lot for posting that. It was very nice of you to spend your time doing such. Regarding the Muppets, I think, of the ones that I have, anyway, that Dr. Teeth belongs. He is too cool.

On a general note, being a collector of all kinds of figures, I am a little surprised by some of the choices overall. However, 20th Anniversary Prime does deserve first place in my opinion. That is one of the greatest toys I have ever seen or owned.
Yeah it did take a bit of time, but you're welcome karamazov80.

Yeah that 20th Anniversary Prime is a great figure, although I, myself, don't own it.

But I would like to mention that I am also a collector of many figures and Pitt at number 6 I believe is as deserve. That is the best build a figure ever and I had to buy all six figures (one of which includes one of my favorite comic books heroies Witchblade) to build that bad boy and I have a hard time keeping my eyes off it, it's wonderful.

What are a few of the choices you're surpised at? If you don't mind me asking.

karamazov80

Reaction score
What are a few of the choices you're surpised at? If you don't mind me asking.
Well, first off, the Snake Eyes V2 from the Joe 25th series is vastly inferior to the V1 that came out, in my opinion, but the latter isn't even on the list (though I definitely agree that the Storm Shadow from the 5-pack belongs). Also, the only 2 Transformer Classics listed are Grimlock and Devastator, which are both u-g-l-y in my opinion, especially in comparison with the awesome Starscream, Ramjet, and SDCC seekers, the Jetfire/Skyfire, which is amazing, the Bumblebee and Cliffjumper repaint, and even the strange Megatron with neon green wings, which are all from that same line. Additionally, I see only one Transformer Alternators on that list, which is shocking to me (though I guess I can understand trying to give a fair shake to the different toy lines) and I can't see why they would add a Microman, which to me are awful, awful toys that do not belong on that list. Other than that, the list looks OK to me, though I think that Sideshow Toys deserves a little more respect, and I'm kind of surprised to not see any DC Select Sculpt Series figures there, but its kind of a new line and none of its figures are really amazing or novel (they're really just DC versions of Marvel Legends with slightly different joint configurations), so I guess that's ok.

Regarding those Legendary Heroes figures, by the way, I came dang close to getting Madman when I saw him at Wal-Mart, but I never cared for any of those other comics, including PITT. I haven't even seen that BAF put together yet, but I'm going to have to check it out given your recommendation.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wow! I am so happy the figures are still getting their due.

I worked a little on some of the figures so there is undoubtedly a bias, but here goes. Out of fairness the ones I worked on (both credited or uncredited) are starred.

The best of the Palisades line:

1* Gonzo (Series 5 or Steppin' Out) best face likness, better paint SO version.
2. Beauregard - he's a solid, chunk of a figure and a good likeness.
3* Uncle Deadly - dear to my heart and incredible in many ways.
4* Sweetums - ooozes coolness (not in an icky way).
5. Lew Zeland - they hit this one out of the park.
6* Sam the Eagle - especially the shifty-eye version.
7* Pops - down to the glasses, a sweet reprodution.
8* Johnny Fiama - likeness.
9. Janice - fun sculpt and cool to have.
10* Marvin Suggs - yeah, he was sticky, but oh so cool and suggsish.

My pics. Personally, I didn't think Adventure Kermit was the best sculpt. The best Kermit body is Smollet, the best head Scout Master Kermit (I never received Rainbow Connection Kermit so I wouldn't know for sure about him).

The biggest disappointment in the line (aside from Steppin' Out Fozzie) is definitely Piggy in all three forms. It just never seemed like her.

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Regarding those Legendary Heroes figures, by the way, I came dang close to getting Madman when I saw him at Wal-Mart, but I never cared for any of those other comics, including PITT. I haven't even seen that BAF put together yet, but I'm going to have to check it out given your recommendation.
Oh yes, I think very highly of that BAF, the paint job is amazing,the figure is big. For me, personally, I just starting doing the whole build a figure thing. I have Marvel Legends (Toy Biz) Mojo complete and build and I start the Blob from the series 2 Hasbro Marvel legends, which still isn't done. I feel like I wasted my time (and money) with the Blob once I did Pitt, now that's a BAF. Needless to say, I'm not the only one who thinks this as three BAF's made the list on Toyfare with Galactus (18), Sentinel (11) and Pitt making the top ten at number 6. So that's saying something.

Wow! I am so happy the figures are still getting their due.

I worked a little on some of the figures so there is undoubtedly a bias, but here goes. Out of fairness the ones I worked on (both credited or uncredited) are starred.

The best of the Palisades line:

1* Gonzo (Series 5 or Steppin' Out) best face likness, better paint SO version.
2. Beauregard - he's a solid, chunk of a figure and a good likeness.
3* Uncle Deadly - dear to my heart and incredible in many ways.
4* Sweetums - ooozes coolness (not in an icky way).
5. Lew Zeland - they hit this one out of the park.
6* Sam the Eagle - especially the shifty-eye version.
7* Pops - down to the glasses, a sweet reprodution.
8* Johnny Fiama - likeness.
9. Janice - fun sculpt and cool to have.
10* Marvin Suggs - yeah, he was sticky, but oh so cool and suggsish.

My pics. Personally, I didn't think Adventure Kermit was the best sculpt. The best Kermit body is Smollet, the best head Scout Master Kermit (I never received Rainbow Connection Kermit so I wouldn't know for sure about him).

The biggest disappointment in the line (aside from Steppin' Out Fozzie) is definitely Piggy in all three forms. It just never seemed like her.
Oh yeah these figures derseve there due, Palisades did the Muppets justice here. For a good action figure line has to have great likeness and many characters like Muppets, Simpsons WOS, Star Wars or even the WWE Classic Superstar line.

Yeah if I were to make a list, I probably would put Janice, but she's also one of my favorite Muppets and I play the guitar, so for me it's also like these figure has everything. I would also probably would of put the Mayhem playset, although I can't say for sure due to that being of one the few figures I don't own in my Muppet action figure collection, yet.

As for Adventure Kermit, well it's wasn't just about sculpt of Kermit, it was also about how interesting of a figure that is, I mean really where esle are you going to find a Kermit toy that has Kermit with a whip and picking heat, :smile: , it's cool.

I actually have all the Miss. Piggy figures in my collection and I agree with you, none did Piggy justice although Palisades did an amazing job with just about the rest of the line. I think my favorite Piggy in my collection is the All American Miss. Piggy and that's not an action figure it's a PVC. And the series one Miss. Piggy would probably make the list for 100 worst toys of the last decade, :mad: .