Parachutes

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Does anyone know how they filmed the muppets on parachutes scene of The Great Muppet Caper, i mean they obviously didn't actually throw the puppets out of a plance, but does anyone know how they did it?

Also, just for fun, I tried to list from memory the muppets in that scene, am i missing any
Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Dr. Teeth, Animal, Floyd, Janice, Zoot, Lips, Sam, Statler, Waldorf, Bunsen, Beaker, Pops, Lew Zealand, Swedish Chef, Rizzo

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Well, for the shot of the Muppets actually coming out of the plane, it wouldn't be too farfetched to throw them off a real one (my only other guess would be a model).

Otherwise, any shots where the characters are singing would have been filmed in a soundstage. Another great trick is while Pops is singing. Jerry is performing him in a close-up, but as the camera pulls away, Jerry's gone and the puppet is floating away. A pretty easy trick, but I loves it!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think I've read a post by Mike Quinn somewhere that said that puppets were actually thrown out of an actual plane.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
Well, for the shot of the Muppets actually coming out of the plane, it wouldn't be too farfetched to throw them off a real one (my only other guess would be a model).

Otherwise, any shots where the characters are singing would have been filmed in a soundstage. Another great trick is while Pops is singing. Jerry is performing him in a close-up, but as the camera pulls away, Jerry's gone and the puppet is floating away. A pretty easy trick, but I loves it!
i guess that makes sense to perform in the closeups, but weren't there a few shots where you see a character talking in a full body shot, i need to watch it again to check

minor muppetz

Reaction score
i guess that makes sense to perform in the closeups, but weren't there a few shots where you see a character talking in a full body shot, i need to watch it again to check
I think so. The mouths were probably radio-controlled.