Shakespeare!

peyjenk

Reaction score
Here's some proof that Shakespeare could write a bad play:

Timon of Athens
Henry VIII
The Two Noble Kinsmen

And yet I've seen fantastic productions of all three. Go fig.
Funny you list Henry VIII and Two Noble Kinsmen... those are actually plays that Shakespeare collaborated on. He didn't even write 'em by himself! :smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
One of my favorite Hamlet parodies is A Night In Elsinore, in which classic Hollywood comedians enact the play:

http://www.shakespeare-parodies.com/hamlet.html

Groucho Marx is Hamlet

Chico Marx is Horatio

Harpo Marx is The Ghost

Margaret Dumont is Gertrude

Oliver Hardy is Rosencrantz

Stan Laurel is Guildenstern

First Player is Moe Howard

Second Player is Larry Fine

Third Player is Curly Howard

Fortinbras is Bob Hope

Good stuff!:zany:

Beakerfan

Reaction score
One of my favorite Hamlet parodies is A Night In Elsinore, in which classic Hollywood comedians enact the play:

http://www.shakespeare-parodies.com/hamlet.html

Groucho Marx is Hamlet

Chico Marx is Horatio

Harpo Marx is The Ghost

Margaret Dumont is Gertrude

Oliver Hardy is Rosencrantz

Stan Laurel is Guildenstern

First Player is Moe Howard

Second Player is Larry Fine

Third Player is Curly Howard

Fortinbras is Bob Hope

Good stuff!:zany:
Oh. My. GOSH! You're kidding! I must see this (is it on tape?)

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Oh. My. GOSH! You're kidding! I must see this (is it on tape?)
LOL!

I WISH such a production actually existed! No, this is just a fan-made script, in which the author imagined how "Hamlet" would play with comedians from the 1930s and 1940s.

As far as I know, Groucho Marx never attempted Hamlet!:stick_out_tongue:

Although, he did appear in a televised (and I think stage) version of Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Mikado," as the Lord High Executioner.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
You know, I probably should have mentioned this earlier, but here it is anyway: one of my major requirement courses this semester was a 400-level course on Shakespeare. For our final project, we each had to take a scene from any play (or we could even do a sonnet) and describe how we would stage it. And we were told that we could go all-out on this. And one of my classmates did "The Tempest," as performed by the Muppets.

As I recall, she casted Patrick Stewart as Prospero, Kermit as Ferdinand, Miss Piggy as Miranda, Gonzo as Caliban, Red Fraggle as Ariel...and I know she had Statler and Waldorf in there somewhere, and I think Lew Zealand... She brought in several sketches of the scene, including very accurate drawings of the Muppets.

(My project was a little more prosaic - I did a scene from "Macbeth," as it would be seen on Court TV. Interviews with witnesses and suspects, descriptions of the site of Duncan's murder, that sort of thing, and the action takes place in New Jersey within the last ten years, instead of ancient Scotland.)

Beakerfan

Reaction score
LOL!

I WISH such a production actually existed! No, this is just a fan-made script, in which the author imagined how "Hamlet" would play with comedians from the 1930s and 1940s.

As far as I know, Groucho Marx never attempted Hamlet!:stick_out_tongue:

Although, he did appear in a televised (and I think stage) version of Gilbert & Sullivan's "The Mikado," as the Lord High Executioner.
Oh. Darn. I was wondering why I had never heard of such a thing....