The Frog Prince nitpicks

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I thought I'd share some nitpicks about The Frog Prince. Who would like to join me?

First nitpick involves Taminella being scarred of what would happen if the king found out that she was a witch and was the one who cast the evil spell on Melora. But if he did find out, what power would he really have against her? Taminella has magical powers, the king has no known magic.

Also, the king was very gullible. When Taminella made the king think she was pointing at Featherstone, the king asked him if he cast the spell, and all it took was for Featherstone to just say no and the king believed him. If Melora told her father that Taminella cast the spell, would he believe it if Taminela just told him that she didn't cast it?

I have been wondering recently if Sweetums was under a spell by Taminella. I don't know why Taminela was keeping an ogre, maybe as her pet, but at the end, Sweetums appears among the crowd, singing with the peaseants, and doesn't seem to be upset that Taminella turned into a bird (but then again, we only see Sweetums in one crowd shot, during the closing song, so we don't know if he saw her turn itno a bird). He also didn't seem to want to run up to the castle and attack Sir Robin. He seemed a bit friendly (even if we aren't given much of an idea of whetehr he had changed his behavior).

Then again, Kermit got Sweetums to let Robin out of his cage by impersonating Taminela's voice and making him let Robin out while still sleeping. I don't know if he was ever aware that Taminella didn't really make him let Robin go, but he was angered when he realised that he'd let Robin go, and wanted breakfast then. It's possible that he thought Taminela told him to let Robin go, and in his anger chose to turn against her because of it. He saw Kermit a few times, but I don't know if he noticed that Kermit and Robin were two different frogs. And it's possible that he was so preoccupied with trying to capture Robin that he didn't notice that Taminella wasn't in the dungeon.

Also, Taminella kept Sweetums in the dungeon, but I wonder if the king was even aware that there was a monster in the dungeon of the castle.

Kermit was drinking punch in the same room as the others as they ate lunch. Robin kept trying to tell the king that Taminella was realy a witch, but Taminella kept sticking popovers into Robin's mouth. I wonder why Kermit didn't try to say anything. I would gues that either
  • a) he was too drunk to think about it
  • b) he didn't want them to know that he was there, or
  • c) he had the same logic as in Hey Cinderella ("Who listens to frogs")

at the very end, Robin gets Taminela to drop her cane and break her magical ball just by biting into her wrist. I didn't think frogs could bite (since they don't have teeth).

Finally, when the king announces that Taminela will be the new queen, the peaseants go against what Featherstone tells them and act very angry. I wonder if Taminella had done anything evil to them. But the king and Fetaherstone both seem oblivious to them not cheering when Featehrstone told them to.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
When I was little I asked my Dad why Sweetums was crying at the end, and he said, "He's sad because the witch turned into a bird and went away." Lol, so I guess I always had that notion. But now I just think it was meant to be a quick sweet moment, not that he's upset over the witch.

Yeah, the joke during dinner is that Kermit is quickly getting drunk. Lol, pretty shocking! :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
When I was little I asked my Dad why Sweetums was crying at the end, and he said, "He's sad because the witch turned into a bird and went away." Lol, so I guess I always had that notion. But now I just think it was meant to be a quick sweet moment, not that he's upset over the witch.
I didn't think Sweetums was sad.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
My mother thought it was meant to be implied that Sweetums was under a spell. In other words a man transformed into a monstrous ogre.
She said that when I saw this movie as a kid and I think it makes sense since when he appears singing with the peasants at the end he seems to have shrunk down to their size and stature and his two fang-like bottom teeth have disappeared.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
She said that when I saw this movie as a kid and I think it makes sense since when he appears singing with the peasants at the end he seems to have shrunk down to their size and stature and his two fang-like bottom teeth have disappeared.
Ah that is interesting, I'll have to check that out again!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Only for his fang-like bottom teeth to grow back later by his next apearance...