What's the name of that toy... if it ever existed

Vic Romano

Reaction score
So I was watching VH1's "I Love The 80's 3D" and they were talking about this toy called the "Fashion Designer" or something like that. Essentially, you put these plastic plates that had raised lines of figures of people that you could switch with different heads, torso and legs with different clothes. You'd then put you're organized plates in this tray and a piece of paper over the plates and lock it down in the tray. You'd then do a rubbing of the plates, giving you line art of the figure which you'd remove from the tray and color as you pleased.

Now call me crazy, but I could have sworn I had a Muppet version of this. Anyone know what I'm talking about? What it was called, if I can find it on ebay or something, what year it came out, who made it, etc.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
Oh my gosh I used to love those!!! I don't think I've ever seen a Muppet one though. Sorry.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Well, it may be because you're a bit younger then me. If this thing did exist, I played with it when I was very little. I know that the general basis of the "Fashion Designer" lived on for quite a while.

KermiClown

Reaction score
Hey Dave!

I know exactly what you are talking about. I had the Muppet "fashion designer" thingy. In fact, I'm pretty sure I still have it somewhere buried in my Muppet collection in storage. But you're definitely not imagining it!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks, Anthony. Any idea what the actual name of it was? I'd like to see if I could find it. Next to my Muppet stick figures, that was my favorite Muppet thing back in the day.

FuzzMonkey

Reaction score
I believe that was called Fashion Plates. Although I heve never seen a Muppet version, I have the monster super hero version. It's still pretty fun to play with, too. I would love a Muppet version of that.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Um Dave, Vic... You might be getting your MC members confused. KermieBaby47's Anthony. Will leave it up to KermiClown to clarify the mix-up regarding his name if he wishes to disclose it himself.

You might want to do a search for Muppets at eBay, choosing to search within the Toys & Hobbies category with Newest Items First in the Time field and open it up to 200 items per page. At least, that's how I do searches there. Methinks there are a few of these Fashion Dress-up Dolls of Piggy and Kermit from 1982 listed. Then again, these might not be what you're looking for.
Hope it helps and have a good night buddy.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
So I was watching VH1's "I Love The 80's 3D" and they were talking about this toy called the "Fashion Designer" or something like that. Essentially, you put these plastic plates that had raised lines of figures of people that you could switch with different heads, torso and legs with different clothes. You'd then put you're organized plates in this tray and a piece of paper over the plates and lock it down in the tray. You'd then do a rubbing of the plates, giving you line art of the figure which you'd remove from the tray and color as you pleased.

Now call me crazy, but I could have sworn I had a Muppet version of this. Anyone know what I'm talking about? What it was called, if I can find it on ebay or something, what year it came out, who made it, etc.
You know, I think I remember this too. Was Gonzo one of the characters? When I was in first or second grade in the early 80s, a friend of mine got a Muppet fashion designer set for her birthday. I distinctly remember Gonzo being one of the figures. Is this the same thing you're thinking of?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Um Dave, Vic... You might be getting your MC members confused. KermieBaby47's Anthony. Will leave it up to KermiClown to clarify the mix-up regarding his name if he wishes to disclose it himself.

You might want to do a search for Muppets at eBay, choosing to search within the Toys & Hobbies category with Newest Items First in the Time field and open it up to 200 items per page. At least, that's how I do searches there. Methinks there are a few of these Fashion Dress-up Dolls of Piggy and Kermit from 1982 listed. Then again, these might not be what you're looking for.
Hope it helps and have a good night buddy.
D'oh! I was rushing last night. I'm sorry, David! Thanks for the correction, Ed.

I did a search on ebay and Muppet Wiki, but no luck. I thought if I had a specific name, I'd have better luck.

You know, I think I remember this too. Was Gonzo one of the characters? When I was in first or second grade in the early 80s, a friend of mine got a Muppet fashion designer set for her birthday. I distinctly remember Gonzo being one of the figures. Is this the same thing you're thinking of?
Quite possibly. I know there was definitely Kermit and Piggy and I'm 90% sure Animal was a character too. It'd make sense that Gonzo and Fozzie were characters too. A Google search only yields GMC because of Piggy posing as a fashion designer.

I swear, this is becoming a real obsession to figure out what the heck this thing is.

EDIT: Here's the regular fashion plates.

muppetperson

Reaction score
Found it on ebay.It was made by Crayola and called color plates.
item 270114559946