The RHLC!

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
I remember when I first learned about who Richard was, and then later heard this verse in "Saying Goodbye." For the first time I didn't just hear it as Scooter singing, I realized there was a person behind the performance. It was quite an amazing moment. :wink:
It took me till I was about nine to figure out there were pupeteers under the puppets. I honestly thought there were Fraggles and Gorgs and Doozers under my house until I was about 12. I didn't know who played who until maybe this year. I was so caught up in who they were for me as a child. However, since I really started moving on from my scaring childhood experience I can honestly say it was Richard's characters that got me there. Beaker who just made me giggle. Janice who was just like rully there fer me like fer sure. Scooter just kind of embodies me. I'm always running around trying to help people trying to keep a happy face and keep things as smooth and least crazy as possible by getting my homework done. Running around my house with a little note pad "You need what? Okay, *writes* needs cereal, and you need *writes* help with Math test tomorrow. I'll quiz you. And Romeo and Juliet thursday? Lets act it out right now." It's litterally what I do. So, to say I didn't know him until I was 16. Untrue, I knew him as a three year old kid when I started experiementing with flavors of pop corn. :big_grin:

Puckrox

Reaction score
I remember when I first learned about who Richard was, and then later heard this verse in "Saying Goodbye." For the first time I didn't just hear it as Scooter singing, I realized there was a person behind the performance. It was quite an amazing moment. :wink:
I honestly don't know when I made the connection that there were people underneath/operating the Muppets. I know I knew about Jim at a young age, because I asked my parents who Jim Henson was and they told me. But even so, I don't think I quite realized... I think it must've been sometime in middle school. Maybe. But it was only in the last few months when I started being really invested in the Muppeteers.

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
I honestly don't know when I made the connection that there were people underneath/operating the Muppets. I know I knew about Jim at a young age, because I asked my parents who Jim Henson was and they told me. But even so, I don't think I quite realized... I think it must've been sometime in middle school. Maybe. But it was only in the last few months when I started being really invested in the Muppeteers.
Yeah that's like the exact same thing for me. Once I put two and two together I plunged in feet first and tried to figure out as much as possible.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
I honestly thought there were Fraggles and Gorgs and Doozers under my house until I was about 12.
:excited: THEY'RE REAL I TELL YOU! [i still hold out they are... a small, slim hope, but a hope none the less]

it's neat to hear about your guardian angel.

i always knew about the puppeteers... well, it was as though one day the puppets moved on their own and the next i knew they didn't. i never had a big reality shaking moment. as a kid i was always told about Jim Henson and he created the muppets and he was Kermit and he died. so i always though he was the only one on the muppets, as i got older i knew it wasn't true, and i believed everyone else was alive since the muppets were still around.

the painful moment in all of it was when i was 17-18, and i had just gotten my mom season 3 of the muppets, and my sister and i were really getting back into it. my sister began researching the muppeteers, and that's when i found out Richard died. that hurt, it was as though he had been alive all my life and then, he had died, the day i decided i would meet the man who had taught me so much, and had bin such a big part of my childhood, had died that day and i would never be able to tell him. it may sound dumb [and i know i've explained it before] but it felt that way, and retelling it, i can still remember how it felt. :sympathy:

then i remember he doesn't like sentimentality and i hear 'your face' :boo:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh I mean I always knew about Jim Henson and Frank Oz, I was watching the Henson's Place documentary at 5 years old, lol. And later I saw Jerry, Dave, Kevin, Fran and Steve on The Jim Henson Hour (thank you Nickelodeon's Muppet Matinee!). I'd read about Richard in the Sesame Street Unpaved book and I was intrigued but I didn't learn much else about him and I didn't realize he performed Scooter. So to me the other "core" Muppet Show character performers were still something of a mystery to me. That's why finally connecting Scooter with Richard was such a special moment. :wink:

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
I wore my Beaker shirt yesterday to my state's Catholic Youth Rally and I'm not even joking about this so call me crazy if y'all wish but I think I met my guardian angel yesterday. I just was sitting there in this light and I was crying and singing and I felt someone holding my hands. Then I saw someone smiling at me and it was really awesome. I wasn't sure who's hands they were but they were soft and warm and his laugh was happy when we sang together his voice was so strong and sweet. It was an experience I'm not forgetting soon.
Crazy right?
Sweet story, GoboDeadly95 - and really touching, too.

I'm with you guys - when I heard "Saying Goodbye" for the first time, I'd just started to match up the characters with their respective performers. I knew the names, but not much about the people themselves.

And it was sad - shortly after I learned who Richard was, I saw MCC for the first time, and it was then I learned that Jim and Richard had both died. I've said this a lot - but I definitely remember feeling the loss.

Oh, dear, we are getting sentimental - Your Face!

Ah, much better.

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
Sweet story, GoboDeadly95 - and really touching, too.

I'm with you guys - when I heard "Saying Goodbye" for the first time, I'd just started to match up the characters with their respective performers. I knew the names, but not much about the people themselves.

And it was sad - shortly after I learned who Richard was, I saw MCC for the first time, and it was then I learned that Jim and Richard had both died. I've said this a lot - but I definitely remember feeling the loss.

Oh, dear, we are getting sentimental - Your Face!

Ah, much better.
You know what's funny? I say that to my little brother all the time when he's upset and he giggles and it's SUPER cute! We watched Fraggle Rock and we sang Follow Me together today SO CUTE! He dances around and he's so adorable and I LOVE HIM! I can't tell who his favorite is yet. Personally I love Gobo, Wembly, Pa Gorg, Junior and The gray rat thing that hangs out by the Trash Heap, I think that ones Gunge? Which ever one Richard is, I can't remember the name. But I know fer sure that he's the gray one.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
lol that's cute, my friends sometimes get into a 'your face' off, basically we yell back and forth until someone get's bored and pulls out the trump card 'your mom's face' we're thinking about upping that one with 'i was frozen today' but it hasn't been made official yet. [and now you've caught a glimpse of my world :wink:]

no matter how big my sister and i get, we always kill ourselves in 'The Gorge Who Would be King' during Pa and Junior's banter. best line has to be 'I must do what my father before me did, try and glue one of those leave back on the tree before anyone notices.'

anyone else hear about the Fraggle Rock movie being put to a halt? sad we won't see a new Fraggle Rock, but i'm happy, it prevents a bad movie as well as my eventual rants about the voices being wrong, and Juhl being a better writer and so on :coy:

GoboDeadly95

Reaction score
I totally agree about the movie but in all honesty I'd probably hate it. Especially the way that they were going to have to edit the original script to make the movie 'edgier' Fraggle Rock wasn't supposed to be edgey it was supposed to be sweet and innocent.
Plus, I'd hate the fact that Junior and Gunge would just sound wrong. Gunge and his little Jersy accent is soooo cute. Plus if they put Cantus in there . . . just uhhhhh . . . don't even make me go there. I know Red, Boober and Wembly could still be salvaged IF they would let the orriginal pupeteers preform and voie which they weren't going to allow. Again don't get me started on how t-off I was about that either.
My major questions are 1) why edgier? 2) Why wreck a good wholesome plot with modernization even if it is older, still good, I mean Thomas the Tank Engine hasn't changed why should Fraggle Rock? 3) WHY NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL PREFORMERS!
Okay 'm done ranting now.