Is this rumor about the Electric Mayhem true?

Aerosmith

Reaction score
I heard a rumor a while back that Animal was inspierd by Keith Moon of the Who, Dr.Teeth was inspired by Jerry Garcia of the Greatful Dead, Zoot was inspired by Jim Morrison. Is this true if so that the coolest thing ive heard!

Aerosmith

Reaction score
Oh and that Janice is inspired by Janice Joplin and Floyd is inspired by John Lennon. So can anyone give me info on this if its true?

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Nope

The Keith Moon rumor was officially denied by the Henson company. They're just a compendium of musician types.

The only band member based off of a particular musical personality was Dr. Teeth, who was based off of and named after the blues musician Dr. John. The rest of the band (except Animal) have name roots in the music world. Floyd's full name is Sgt. Floyd Pepper, and his namesake and clothing are derived from the Beatles' album Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band; the Floyd part, it has been speculated, may have come from Pink Floyd. Janice was named after Janis Joplin but not specifically based off of her; she was meant to have sort of a Mick Jagger/Janis Joplin mouth. Zoot was named after jazz musician Zoot Sims; there used to be a site, electricmayhem.net, that said who Zoot was meant to look like. There were a few people, one was Chuck Mangione but I can't remember the rest.

Hope that helps!

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

matleo

Reaction score
Dr. Teeth is based on Dr. John??? I thought he was based in Mac Rebbenack. Are you sure about this?

--Matt

PS--Just kidding. FYI: Dr. John IS Mac Rebennack.

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
At MuppetFest someone-- can't remember which muppeteer, Jerry?-- said Janice was intended to be a 'sort of hip Mary Travers type.' That's Mary from Peter, Paul, & Mary. If you see pictures of Mary from the late 60s and early 70s, there is a similarity.

grouchman

Reaction score
Jerry told me there was a subtle "pink floyd" connection, but it wasn't supposed to be any big deal....just kind of a throwaway gag. he also mentioned the sgt. pepper uniform tie-in. but floyd wasn't supposed to be inspired by any one performer.

Aerosmith

Reaction score
You know Zoot sorta looks like Jim Morrison the hat, the glasses, and the shirt. He also acts like Jim which I mean hes on Acid. :big_grin: :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I always thought that some of Dr. Teeth is based on Elton John. I mean, look at his clothes. Seriously, In an original Michael Frith sketch, his name was something like Leon "Doctor" Eltonjohn Dontshoot, the Piano player.