The Food Thread (Non Instagram Edition)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I think the single most unhealthy thing I have ever eaten in my entire life was when Steak n Shake had what they called a 7X7 steakburger, which was seven beef patties and seven slices of cheese. Oh my gosh, that thing was nearly impossible to eat . . . all of these grease from the patties and everything, the burger kept crumbling to the point that I pretty much had to eat it with a fork because it'd just fall apart in my hands. I don't even remember if I was able to finish it or not, I just remember I felt sick to my stomach for a few days after that.

Yeah . . . I just ate it for the sake of being able to say that I ate it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I think the single most unhealthy thing I have ever eaten in my entire life was when Steak n Shake had what they called a 7X7 steakburger, which was seven beef patties and seven slices of cheese. Oh my gosh, that thing was nearly impossible to eat . . . all of these grease from the patties and everything, the burger kept crumbling to the point that I pretty much had to eat it with a fork because it'd just fall apart in my hands. I don't even remember if I was able to finish it or not, I just remember I felt sick to my stomach for a few days after that.

If I was a condemned man on Death Row. I’d order that as my last meal. Hopefully that will kill me before I get to the electric chair.

That Wendy’s pretzel pub cheeseburger is great, but a single is plenty. Eating a triple seems like a suicide mission.

A few years ago when I saw a similar video on Cracker Barrel, showing some dishes with all their fat, calories and salt, it makes me wonder how some of us are still standing.

Granted, eating stuff like this once in a great while won’t kill you. Living on it will.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I had Starbucks iced coffee for the very first time yesterday:

Once upon a time, iced coffee didn’t really exist. Iced tea, yes. But some time in the 80’s I tried it for the first time. You could make it at home. Brew regular coffee, or instant. Chill it in the fridge overnight. Pour over ice, then add your cream, sugar, whatever.
Then slowly over time you started seeing iced coffee at fast food joints. First Dunkin Donuts, then Starbucks, then McDonald’s

I learned to drink iced coffee black. No cream, no sugar, no nothing. Same when I go out to restart, I’ll get unsweetened iced tea. It’s easy to get carried away with cream, sugar, flavored syrup, caramel, whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, etc. Throw in an espresso shot while you’re at it.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score

A pizzeria near my school would sell subs with fries and mozerella sticks in them. Just saying

D'Snowth

Reaction score
If I was a condemned man on Death Row. I’d order that as my last meal. Hopefully that will kill me before I get to the electric chair.
Yeah, you wouldn't want what happened to Michael Jeter happen to you.
A few years ago when I saw a similar video on Cracker Barrel, showing some dishes with all their fat, calories and salt, it makes me wonder how some of us are still standing.
Remember MrsPepper from the old days? She told me when she was in the US one time, she ate a Cracker Barrel and was nearly sickened by how salty she perceived their food to be.

Granted, I live in the salty and buttery land of the south, so I guess I'm just used to it . . . but let it be said, southerns do not skimp on the seasonings when it comes to cooking.
A pizzeria near my school would sell subs with fries and mozerella sticks in them. Just saying
When I was in 8th grade, for whatever reason, it became something of a fad to sprinkle chips onto your sandwich at lunch.

I'm talking like in addition to the two main menu items they had each day, they also offered two pre-packaged options: one was a salad, and the other was a hoagie that came with a small bag of chips and some other kind of side item (like an apple or something) . . . usually Fritos were the chip that came with those hoagies, but yeah, that was the thing to do that year: sprinkle your Fritos into your hoagies.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
New York is not as salty and buttery as down South. Probably because we have so many influences from all over the world. Whereas you have Paula Dean, we have Bobby Flay.

Some things that scream New York the most, are ordinary things you get from street vendors. On just about any street corner in Manhattan, you can get a hot dog (it has to be Sabrett), a hot pretzel, or around Christmas, roasted chestnuts

Around Christmas in Bryant Park, they open up an ice skating rink. That’s the only place in New York you can get this amazing hot chocolate. This isn’t opening a packet of chocolate powder and adding hot water.
This is called sipping chocolate. It’s incredibly rich and creamy. One time I had only one sip and it made my eyes roll back in my head. It is that good.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Whereas you have Paula Dean, we have Bobby Flay.
L M A O! Accurate!
Some things that scream New York the most, are ordinary things you get from street vendors. On just about any street corner in Manhattan, you can get a hot dog (it has to be Sabrett), a hot pretzel, or around Christmas, roasted chestnuts
Whenever I think of New York food, I tend to think of things like bagels, foldable pizza, black-and-white cookies, and such, lol.
Around Christmas in Bryant Park, they open up an ice skating rink. That’s the only place in New York you can get this amazing hot chocolate. This isn’t opening a packet of chocolate powder and adding hot water.
This is called sipping chocolate. It’s incredibly rich and creamy. One time I had only one sip and it made my eyes roll back in my head. It is that good.
We have a local dairy farm down here that produces and distributes some of the most delicious milk you have ever tasted . . . unfortunately, it's incredibly expensive, but as they say, you get what you pay for. Anyway, their chocolate milk is to die for, but when it's winter time, it's nice to heat a cup of that stuff up in the microwave, plop in some marshmallows, and voila, instant hot cocoa. I know you can actually get hot chocolate mixes at the store (like Swiss Miss and such), but if you just heat up chocolate milk, not only does it still taste exactly the same, but it's also considerably less messy since there's no powder to deal with bubbling over the edges of the cup.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Instant cocoa is just okay, but can be so much better.
There’s a similar dairy farm close to here called Applegate’s. They make better quality milk than you’ll find in the supermarket. It’s more expensive too, but it’s worth it. They feed the cows better quality grains, and that creates better milk. They sell chocolate milk too. All the milk comes in glass bottles as opposed to plastic.
But their big moneymaker is their ice cream.
They only make six flavors- vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, butter pecan, coffee, and chocolate chip mint. But in the summertime their stand is packed with customers. Even in the dead of winter, people still line up for ice cream.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Same with our dairy farm; they have a little store right smackdown in the middle of downtown where they sell ice cream by the score: you can walk in and get a cone with all kinds of crazy toppings and coatings, or you can get a pint from their coolers. However, they carry some rather . . . odd and unconventional flavors like lavender honey, saffron and cardomom, toasted coconut, and the like. I never tried any of them myself, but my mom is absolutely obsessed with their ice cream flavors.