Kermit in Sesame Street merchandise

Cookie3001

Reaction score
This is a topic I have always been really interested in and it's about time I made a thread.

GoldHattedGonzo

Reaction score
Great idea! It's such a fascinating subject. Like, you'd think there'd be more, but when you actually look at it, there's very little. The strangest thing is that beanie from like, 2005. That was after The Muppets were sold to Disney, so it's very mysterious (to the point where I'm almost wondering if it was sold without Disney's approval.)

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
Last I checked, the Muppet Wiki said the only piece of Kermit merchandise sold under the “Sesame” brand was the Magic Talking Kermit plush from 1999 (for the 30th anniversary).

Cookie3001

Reaction score
There is more than that. I was actually looking at the rather horrifying Sesame Street Halloween costumes made by Ben Copper and apparently there was a kermit costume made. I'm a bit iffy thought because it looks like the Baby Kermit costume and might just be a factory error

CoolGuy1013

Reaction score
I think I know what’s haunting my nightmares tonight…

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The packaging on that mask does not say which character it is, so maybe somebody put a Kermit mask in the wrong box (is it pictured on the back?).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I used to think Kermit didn't appear in much Sesame Street merchandise because I used to think that both Henson and Sesame Workshop co-owned the Sesame Street characters until 2000 and maybe Henson didn't want their fully owned character in Sesame Workshop merchandise. But I think it might be more a branding thing, with one company being able to release Sesame Street merchandise and others being allowed to release The Muppets/The Muppet Show merchandise and it'd make more sense for Kermit to be part of the Muppets merchandise, and sometimes the same companies would license both Muppet and Sesame Street merchandise (but I think they still wouldn't be allowed to freely use characters from different properties as part of the same collection).

Though Sesame Street began seven years before The Muppet Show, and there wasn't much official merchandise with Kermit included before that (though the first Kermit toy was released before Sesame Street premiered). That could have been plenty of time to include Kermit in more Sesame merchandise, unless Henson was already preparing for him to be part of The Muppet Show (likely), or in case one of the pre-TMS specials got some merchandise.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Kermit was removed for one season as he was deemed too commercial so that's more than likely the reason why he wasn't included in merchandise that much

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Kermit was removed for one season as he was deemed too commercial so that's more than likely the reason why he wasn't included in merchandise that much
And yet the other Sesame Street characters got to appear in plenty of commercial products and merchandise with no problem.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
Here is one interesting appearance. The Silly Storytime DVD. I think it's really cool that they made a whole new reporter Kermit photo puppet just for the cover of this DVD. This was after Disney bought the Muppets so he's listed as a special guest but that's still pretty cool