Little things we've noticed

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Is it just me or were some of the Sony Wonder backcovers with the character on ie more interesting than the characters are they chose on front?

Examples is how they put Monty on the back of Sing Your Self Sillier or Little Chrissy and The Alphabeats on Rock n Roll.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
To be honest, I never liked the Sony covers to begin with. Thought they were kind of plain and boring. :smirk:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
To be honest, I never liked the Sony covers to begin with. Thought they were kind of plain and boring. :smirk:
Maybe it’s just me but I like the simplicity, though I wasn’t the biggest fan when the photoshopped

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
One thing I’ve wondered about the SS.org upload of “Fat Cat” is if the upload came from an episode featuring the song, moreso transitioning from another segment, because it seems to have a “light switch” effect at the very beginning before it starts.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Is it just me or were some of the Sony Wonder backcovers with the character on ie more interesting than the characters are they chose on front?

Examples is how they put Monty on the back of Sing Your Self Sillier or Little Chrissy and The Alphabeats on Rock n Roll.
With those characters not being main characters, maybe they didn’t think they were popular enough to put on the cover. Though Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats were on the original cover of Rock and Roll.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
With those characters not being main characters, maybe they didn’t think they were popular enough to put on the cover. Though Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats were on the original cover of Rock and Roll.
If that was the case, why did they feel fine with putting Forgetful Jones on the front cover of Play-Along Games and Songs with Elmo on the back

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I’m going to assume the characters picked are either at random or had a main role in the framing scenes.

I mean, for goodness sake, Cookie Monster for some reason is on the front of the Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies Tape.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I’m going to assume the characters picked are either at random or had a main role in the framing scenes.

I mean, for goodness sake, Cookie Monster for some reason is on the front of the Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies Tape.
That Cookie Monster poser was clearly photoshopped on the Sing Yourself Sillier at the Movies cover.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If that was the case, why did they feel fine with putting Forgetful Jones on the front cover of Play-Along Games and Songs with Elmo on the back
I did think about that after posting, But to be fair, he wasn’t alone on the cover. Big Bird was there with him, so it’s not just a minor character by himself carrying the release.

also, Forgetful Jones was more of a “core” Sesame Street Muppet than Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats. Even if the rerelease came after they stopped making new material with him and they were only occasionally showing him in the background (though they still showed old Forgetful Jones segments).

Though I wonder if they were careful about character selection or if the Sesame Street brand would have been enough to sell. I’d be really interested in seeing how well the original Random House release of Rock& Roll sold. Of course there have been Sesame Street books starting secondary or lower characters.

In thinking more about it, I wonder if it's best that the cover had Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats or if it should have been Little Jerry and the Monotones. Little Chrissy is featured in two back to back songs, while Little Jerry does have a bit of a plotline in this. Still, by 1990 I think Little Jerry and the Monotones were a bit obscure. While not really major, I was more aware of Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats at the time, don't think I was really aware of the Monotones (aside from noticing Big Jeffy in the background in A Muppet Family Christmas). Still, as a Sesame Street fan, I probably wouldn't have cared who was on the cover or if I was familiar with whatever Muppets were on the cover. Of course I never had that one until it came to DVD, though it was one of the Sesame Street videos that I really wanted at the time (mostly for some of the songs listed on the back).

Last edited:

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I did think about that after posting, But to be fair, he wasn’t alone on the cover. Big Bird was there with him, so it’s not just a minor character by himself carrying the release.

also, Forgetful Jones was more of a “core” Sesame Street Muppet than Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats. Even if the rerelease came after they stopped making new material with him and they were only occasionally showing him in the background (though they still showed old Forgetful Jones segments).

Though I wonder if they were careful about character selection or if the Sesame Street brand would have been enough to sell. I’d be really interested in seeing how well the original Random House release of Rock& Roll sold. Of course there have been Sesame Street books starting secondary or lower characters.

In thinking more about it, I wonder if it's best that the cover had Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats or if it should have been Little Jerry and the Monotones. Little Chrissy is featured in two back to back songs, while Little Jerry does have a bit of a plotline in this. Still, by 1990 I think Little Jerry and the Monotones were a bit obscure. While not really major, I was more aware of Little Chrissy and the Alphabeats at the time, don't think I was really aware of the Monotones (aside from noticing Big Jeffy in the background in A Muppet Family Christmas). Still, as a Sesame Street fan, I probably wouldn't have cared who was on the cover or if I was familiar with whatever Muppets were on the cover. Of course I never had that one until it came to DVD, though it was one of the Sesame Street videos that I really wanted at the time (mostly for some of the songs listed on the back).
I am curious to know if there was some marketing research with some of the covers because a lot of the ones that feature Telly always had him with another character like Elmo or Big Bird.

Last edited: