Sesame Street Season 49 Episode 4931 - Grocery Games

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4931 - Grocery Games
HBO Premiere: Saturday June 15, 2019

To make food shopping more fun, Alan turns it into a game. Elmo, Abby, and Cookie Monster need to find three foods that start with the letter C from different sections of the grocery store. Can they get the food in Alan's cart before he finishes checking out?

This episode features an all-new street story, a new Abby's Amazing Adventures ("Stock Clerks") and a new Elmo's World ("Supermarkets").

If you saw "Grocery Games" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
That was rather amusing, actually, especially the little bit with the Count.

And wasn't there supposed to be a song with Solange Knowles in this episode?

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
That was rather amusing, actually, especially the little bit with the Count.

And wasn't there supposed to be a song with Solange Knowles in this episode?
  • The press kit also incorrectly states that a song by Solange Knowles called "I Can Remember" would be in this episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It still feels weird that the word "supermarket" has been making a comeback after nobody said it for years.

But this was a really interesting episode in that it mostly took place somewhere outside the street, and yeah, the garlic bit with Count was amusing.

Actually, when you think about it, there were a couple of missed opportunities to add to the letter C curriculum: the free samples Cookie was tempted to take were cheese, which is another food that starts with C - he could have grabbed a handful on his way to check out, and they could have gotten an extra point for finding a fourth food that starts with C. Also, after Alan gives the cashier his card, she could have asked him should she swipe it as credit or debit, to which he could have said credit, pointing out that it also starts with C.

So yeah, this was actually an interesting one. I think my favorite part, for whatever reason, was this little exchange:
ABBY: So Alan, do you like your pasta flat or squiggely?
ALAN: Well, it really depends on the day.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
The cold open with Big Bird and Oscar was fun. I hope we get more interactions with them. The street story was pretty good. I liked seeing a new location on the street, Jen performing the unenthused intercom lady was funny, "Who writes this?" Marty, Pam, Tyler and Stephanie's performances of the employees were fun, and the garlic joke with the Count was funny. The new Amazing Adventure was interesting, not a lot of stores would make their displays look like a specific shape. Ernie appearing and the I can Remember reference in the new EW was fun.

Flintstonefan

Reaction score
I think this is the first time I've seen Matt's big bird interact with Eric's Oscar. But it's really cool to see. And we'll be seeing the 2 interact much more now that they have separate performers

zhelder

Reaction score
I thought this was very good for a current gen episode. The supermarket set looked great (it had to have cost a fortune to build) and there were some funny bits (the Count with the garlic, Cookie Monster expressing his desire to go to the supermarket). I also loved the callback to the iconic Loaf of Bread, Container of Milk, and Stick of Butter sketch in the Elmo’s World sketch. Nice job on this one!

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Grocery Games" premieres on PBS this Monday March 2. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.