"The Muppet Movie" returns to theaters July 25 and July 30 2019 for its 40th anniversary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good Morning America announced the wonderful news we knew was coming this morning.

Get your tickets now:

'The Muppet Movie' is heading back to theaters for its 40th anniversary

Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and Fozzie Bear are coming back to a theater near you.

"The Muppet Movie" returns to theaters for two days this July to mark the film's 40th anniversary. The joint announcement was made Monday by Fathom Events, The Jim Henson Company and Universal Pictures.

The movie will play in more than 600 theaters on Thursday, July 25, and Tuesday, July 30, at 12:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. local time, both days.

“‘The Muppet Movie’ is a cinematic treasure, a delightful film that may have been made 40 years ago but is truly timeless, thanks both to its iconic characters and to its always-stirring theme of following your dreams and believing in your own abilities,” said Tom Lucas, Fathom Events Vice President of Studio Relations.

"The Muppet Movie" was an offshoot of the popular "Muppet Show," which premiered in 1976 and ran through 1981. Several other Muppet shows followed, with the most recent iteration, "The Muppets," airing on ABC from 2015-2016.

Tickets to "The Muppet Movie," which features the Oscar-nominated song "Rainbow Connection," are available at local box offices and at the Fathom Events website.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
If someone can find what theaters it'll be playing here in PR for me I'd appreciate it since I couldn't find anything when this announcement was first made on toughpigs.

Also, if it were to be aired in theaters here in PR, I'm not sure if the July 25 showings would be possible since that date is a local holiday celebrated as Constitution Day (akin to the 4th of July) and local mass business establishments might be closed for the day.

BertsNose

Reaction score
Seeing it in theatres would definitely be an experience. though I don't think it would be possible for me, even though I looked this up before and know where it would be playing in my area. I ended up getting it on VHS since I plan to see another movie at the beginning of July elsewhere which is also a limited showing. It would also be expensive since not only am I seeing a movie I'm getting Chinese Food with my mom since there's a place nearby.

Not sure how much tickets for the Muppet Movie would be but I'm guessing expensive, especially if my mom is coming along. I doubt I can convince her to go with me since again, I now own it on VHS. Either way whoever plans to see it, Have a wonderful time.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Very cool! Thanks to Fathom Events, I've seen a number of films on the big screen that I missed the first time. I may have actually seen TMM on the big screen when I was younger but I don't remember it. This will be a wonderful thing to behold!

My only question...it's being presented by UNIVERSAL Pictures? Doesn't Disney own all the rights these days?

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
My only question...it's being presented by UNIVERSAL Pictures? Doesn't Disney own all the rights these days?
I'm guessing it was either misinformation or the rights for theatrical distribution are different from home video/tv. The only movie I know of that Universal had distributed with the Muppets was The Great Muppet Caper, as The Muppet Movie was released independently by ITC, so that makes things interesting too.

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I still have a gift card to go to the movies so I just might go and see it (if my local theater is playing it)

Cookie3001

Reaction score
I don't think the movie should be under the name of Disney or Universal, the movie was done by jim henson and lord grade, if Disney owned the muppets when the movie came out then whatever but not this time

Status
Not open for further replies.