New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Status
Not open for further replies.

GroovyMuppet6

Reaction score
A slightly-related newsworthy tidbit from a just-released D23 news update announcing more of the new original non-fiction shows in the works for Disney+:

https://d23.com/marvel-616-is-among...ymfdfZVzbZgYnuTrlbWQiY1D45ZCvb3JSeCxsSgB7dDX0

Specifically this part:

"Cinema Relics: Iconic Art of the Movies(working title)
This anthology series that takes a unique look at beloved films—including Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Mary Poppins, The Muppet Movie, Tron, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit—through the props and costumes (now modern ‘artifacts’) that made them unique. We’ll hear from the craftspeople who created them, the actors who interacted with them, and the collectors/archives who own and cherish them in the show, which will be hosted by film historian/collector Dan Lanigan."
I heard about this! I'm so excited to see a documentary on The Muppet Movie, and all those other films too.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Disney is announcing a ton of stuff for their new streaming service as we speak. Hopefully we get some Muppet news soon!

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Unless there's stuff still going on, they didn't announce anything Muppet-related, new or old, unless they're just being lumped in with general stuff. And their own press release makes no mention of them.
Well, considering that The Muppets Studio is part of Disney Consumer Products & Interactive Media, it falls under the “Disney” banner, as it is not an independent division like Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Fox, etc.

Also keep in mind that they only announced the first crop of content for just the first year of the streaming service. And if it means having to wait a little while longer for new Muppet shows and films on Disney+, perhaps it’s a good sign that they’re really taking their time to make sure they get it right, whereas the 2015 series was rushed into production before they could work out the kinks, which is part of why that previous show failed. (It would also increase the likelihood of any new Muppet stuff being more successful, popular and profitable so The Muppets Studio can finally be able to sustain itself both creatively and financially and become an independent subsidiary like the others.)

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Well, considering that The Muppets Studio is part of Disney Consumer Products & Interactive Media, it falls under the “Disney” banner, as it is not an independent division like Pixar, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Fox, etc.

Also keep in mind that they only announced the first crop of content for just the first year of the streaming service. And if it means having to wait a little while longer for new Muppet shows and films on Disney+, perhaps it’s a good sign that they’re really taking their time to make sure they get it right, whereas the 2015 series was rushed into production before they could work out the kinks, which is part of why that previous show failed. (It would also increase the likelihood of any new Muppet stuff being more successful, popular and profitable so The Muppets Studio can finally be able to sustain itself both creatively and financially and become an independent subsidiary like the others.)
I'd be more willing to believe that if there weren't rumors of it happening as far back as February of last year.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah, at this point, I feel like we may have another cancelled Muppet project on our hands :sigh:.
I'm super bummed out, but not surprised.

Duke Remington

Reaction score
Yeah, at this point, I feel like we may have another cancelled Muppet project on our hands :sigh:.
I'm super bummed out, but not surprised.
It’s wrong to jump to conclusions.

Man, the pessimism of Muppet fans these days is SICKENING and goes against the Muppet/Henson way! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.