Sesame Street Season 49 Episode 4912 - Elmo's Happy Little Train

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4912 - Elmo's Happy Little Train
HBO Premiere: Saturday February 2, 2019

Elmo, Rosita, and Zoe play train and pretend to be the driver, conductor and passenger. They make up an adventure so that Oscar can play, too.

This episode features an all-new street story, Andy Grammer singing "Plan the Play", an all-new Cookie Monster's Foodie Truck ("Peanuts") and Elmo's World ("Wheels").

If you saw "Elmo's Happy Little Train" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Would've been really lame if Oscar weren't involved.

The Andy Grammer song might be my favorite this season (aka the only good one so far).

I'll admit, I kinda skip around the Foodie Truck bits. The only really funny parts are Gonger's reaction to Cookie screwing up again.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I agree, Oscar brought some much-needed conflict to the story, and I love how he got so dead-into playing the ogre bent on stopping the train from continuing on its trip to Hooper's Store (even though he looked more like a viking than an ogre with that horned helmet and long shaggy wig).

And I'll say it again, of the recurring Cookie Monster segments we've had in the last four years, Foodie Truck is perhaps my least favorite, because of how formulaic it is. Yeah, Smart Cookies could arguably be formulaic and repetitive as well, but it was far more engaging. Crumby Pictures was, by far, the best of these segments though.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
I did really like how Oscar ended up liking playing with Elmo, Zoe and Rosita. I know two of the pickles were played by Leslie, and two were played by Stephanie, not sure who played the remaining 2. The Andy Grammer song was pretty catchy. I loved Gonger saying "What have I done to deserve this?"

Oscarfan

Reaction score
And I'll say it again, of the recurring Cookie Monster segments we've had in the last four years, Foodie Truck is perhaps my least favorite, because of how formulaic it is. Yeah, Smart Cookies could arguably be formulaic and repetitive as well, but it was far more engaging. Crumby Pictures was, by far, the best of these segments though.
Educational-wise, I dislike Smart Cookies the most because every segment is the same educational goal (stop and think). The Crumby Pictures and Foodie Truck bits each all have the same theme, but each individual bit of each has a different, specific thing to teach. Smart Cookies was the exact same lesson over and over again.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I did really like how Oscar ended up liking playing with Elmo, Zoe and Rosita. I know two of the pickles were played by Leslie, and two were played by Stephanie, not sure who played the remaining 2.
I kind of thought I heard Matt's voice coming from one of those pickles; not sure about the last one though.

Educational-wise, I dislike Smart Cookies the most because every segment is the same educational goal (stop and think). The Crumby Pictures and Foodie Truck bits each all have the same theme, but each individual bit of each has a different, specific thing to teach. Smart Cookies was the exact same lesson over and over again.
This is why Crumby Pictures was perhaps the superior of all of them: a parody segment with great humor (sometimes going over kids heads), with a variety of different educational topics, and all with fan-favorite Cookie Monster in the center.

I agree educational-wise, Smart Cookies could have been much better if the educational structure wasn't almost exactly the same in each segment (much like Foodie Truck), because the premise, at least to me, had a lot of potential to be something more.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Well, I don't know. Foodies does seem to be a good concept. Heck, I've even got a few snack ideas from that segment that I haven't thought of before like peanut butter/apple sandwiches and banana chips. But I agree the formula does get repetitive. I always find it strange that Gonger always gets angry at cookie for eating the food that's needed to make the recipe at the beginning, then at the end sharing the food with him. (Sort of like he's 'rewarding' him for causing problems.) It would be nice if for a change, Gonger would say, "No more for you, Cookie. You've had enough." :big_grin:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
"Elmo's Happy Little Train" premieres on PBS this Monday October 7. Tune in and let us know your thoughts.