It's Official: Caroll Spinney retires from Sesame Street after nearly 50 years

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Seriously...if anything on this forum deserves a "LOVE" react, it's this video of Caroll's retirement party.

Since Caroll Spinney has given so much love to the world over the years, he has truly earned the outpouring of love that he's getting now. I'm sure that other SS legends who have left us (Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, Jon Stone, Northern Calloway, Will Lee, and Jim Henson himself) would be proud of Caroll and everything that he's achieved. Again, bravo Caroll and thanks for making our days sunny and sweet.
And sweeping those clouds away as well.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I’m just so happy that they did all this! It makes my happy that Caroll celebrated his retirement with most of not all the people he spent a lot of time with on Sesame Street.

I’m sure it’s a moment he’ll never forget.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's really going to be sad to listen to Caroll's final performance as Big Bird and Oscar next year: people have been complaining enough about how "depressed" Big Bird has been sounding in recent years, but the strength in even Caroll's regular speaking voice has weakened significantly as of late - I have to admit, it was difficult to hear him clearly when I met him last year, which I believe was one of the reasons why Debbie answered or finished a lot of questions for him, which is very sweet and loving of her to do. Even during the Q&A panel, he trailed off a bit, and likewise, Debbie finished his story for him.

But either way, we can all say, again, Caroll more than deserves his retirement, and while we may be sad to see him leave, we should be grateful and appreciative of his dedication and hanging in there as long as he possibly could. There will never be another like him, though his characters are in good hands.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, Debbie answered most of my comments, too. She even sang along to me singing "I Just Adore Four (The number for me!)" :stick_out_tongue:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't recall them doing anything for Fran (aside from the in-joke in The Cookie Thief special). I do remember when Jerry passed away, the YouTube channel uploaded a few videos in a bulk that features his characters.
I remember them uploading/creating a playlist of performances by Jerry Nelson. Not really the same as creating a documentary-style video about his work. Then again, they likely had more time to put together a video honoring Caroll Spinney than they would have for Jerry Nelson.

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Here are some beautiful pictures from Caroll's final performance on Thursday courtesy of Sesame Workshop.

Forgive me for being a bit rude, but it while it was a truly touching moment, and I am getting emotional just seeing it.

I don't know if it was possible, but it would have been more epic if they brought in the old Adult cast to say good-bye to Caroll. It would have been touching to see the Original Sesame Street Adult cast and Caroll together one last time before he retired given the memories between the original Adult cast and Caroll. Right ? ?

mbmfrog

Reaction score
Sesame's Instagram has videos of Caroll's retirement party, including a performance of Sing with Loretta Long and Alison Bartlett! But what's really surreal is Fran Brill is there alongside her characters played by her current performers!

Strike my last post because this was what I wanted to see. I mean final good retirement party with some old cast members making an appearance or two. Now THAT is the Sesame Street Family that I remember via "Follow that Bird." :wisdom:

I even spotted Grungetta in this. :grouchy: