Your Thoughts: The Muppets Take The O2, July 13-14th 2018

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
so how were the crowds?
I don't know about the other two but the Saturday afternoon show there was about 10-12 thousand people there. And everyone was in such good form and gave such a great reception at the end for tea guests, and for the muppet performers

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I've been reading some reviews and from what I have read the shows were a success.

In a recent podcast JD Hansle made a cute little bit about bringing the Muppet Show back. He brought up the point that we don't really have shows like The Muppet Show of the 70's, but I think in some way we do with shows like the Voice America Got talent and so on.

I think they have truly found what works, and this may even be what they need if they do make another attempt at a show of some kind.

That old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it.

cjd874

Reaction score
I watched a couple of videos from this performance and it looks absolutely sensational, inspirational, and celebrational! A few bits are recycled from the Hollywood Bowl show (such as Movin' Right Along, Muppet Labs, and the Electric Mayhem songs), but I have no problem with that.

Highlights: Adam Hills and the Swedish Chef did a hilarious bit that showed their chemistry; and Matt Vogel has improved A LOT as Kermit, not just in terms of the voice but also in getting the true essence of the character.
Lowlights: Gonzo's time travel stunt didn't quite do it for me...I much preferred the version from the Hollywood Bowl. And apparently, Rizzo wasn't in this show even though it was hinted that he'd be part of it. :shifty:

I hope that the Muppets will eventually take this show to New York or New Jersey so that I can go see it. Perhaps Madison Square Garden or one of the outdoor sports stadiums might work. Keepin' my fingers crossed, folks.

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
I've been reading some reviews and from what I have read the shows were a success.

In a recent podcast JD Hansle made a cute little bit about bringing the Muppet Show back. He brought up the point that we don't really have shows like The Muppet Show of the 70's, but I think in some way we do with shows like the Voice America Got talent and so on.

I think they have truly found what works, and this may even be what they need if they do make another attempt at a show of some kind.

That old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it.
I've always thought this, from the original iconic opening sequence, that even now gives me goose bumps to the skits of a true variety show, it is a niche that no other show has. They should bring it back in its original format.

LeanneRivett

Reaction score
I watched a couple of videos from this performance and it looks absolutely sensational, inspirational, and celebrational! A few bits are recycled from the Hollywood Bowl show (such as Movin' Right Along, Muppet Labs, and the Electric Mayhem songs), but I have no problem with that.

Highlights: Adam Hills and the Swedish Chef did a hilarious bit that showed their chemistry; and Matt Vogel has improved A LOT as Kermit, not just in terms of the voice but also in getting the true essence of the character.
Lowlights: Gonzo's time travel stunt didn't quite do it for me...I much preferred the version from the Hollywood Bowl. And apparently, Rizzo wasn't in this show even though it was hinted that he'd be part of it. :shifty:

I hope that the Muppets will eventually take this show to New York or New Jersey so that I can go see it. Perhaps Madison Square Garden or one of the outdoor sports stadiums might work. Keepin' my fingers crossed, folks.
I agree Matt Vogel, to me, has more of the essence of Jim. After going to the O2, I started watching season 1 of the original show and their performances are very similar.

Whataday

Reaction score
Not much more to add than what's been posted here.

What I will say is that I have never been so confident that The Muppets are match-ready for a new Muppet Show. Their interaction with the guests, their pre-recorded skits, their musical numbers. All fantastic.

BUT...

It pains me to say that Matt Vogel is not working as Kermit. It's not the voice - I thought that was pretty good on the night. It's that Kermit's personality is just not there. He was like a robot. I felt Scooter was holding the whole thing together rather than the main man (frog).

The show was fantastic - better than my wildest dreams, but it outshone its star.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I was at the Friday night show and it was a thoroughly entertaining evening. Being in a room and with Kermit and singing Rainbow Connection along with thousand other people was quite the experience!

I loved the little British touches. The Pigs in Space Doctor Who skit with the Muppet equivalents of the various regenerations was a genius touch (and would be a really neat little sketch to film for Children in Need or similar.) Rowlf’s singalong version of “Maybe it’s because I’m a Londoner” was a lovely nod to the music hall sketches of the Muppet Show days. That having been said I’d have liked to have maybe heard a bit more on the actual history with The Muppet Show having been filmed at Elstree and of course the Great Muppet Caper with it’s London setting.

I had no idea who Bobby Moynihan was prior to the show but I thought he fitted in really well as the human foil (and occasional fall guy.) Scooter in particular was on top form in his sections and the Bobo moments were not just unexpected but spot on.

As for Kermit, I have no complaints about Matt’s performance. If the chemistry wasn’t quite what we’re used to I think that’s just because there wasn’t a huge amount of, for example, Kermit and Fozzie interaction or Gonzo and Rizzo interaction etc.But if there had been there wouldn’t have been time for Wayne and Wanda or a parade of obscure characters for the benefit of the superfans so I’m not complaining!

I hope that the show was a commercial success and that the Muppets will be ‘taking’ other arenas for a few years to come.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
For anyone not familiar with Bobby, he was on a show called SNL (Saturday Night Live) and recently appeared in a short lived CBS show titled Me Myself & I.

He's in the Ducktales reboot as well.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I was thinking yesterday while walking the dog about why the muppets can do well on tv. Not as a new version that brings them into modern day (like the ABC/SKY1 show) but as the original muppet show

1. Everyone would watch- Just look at the numbers for these live shows people are interested in them
2. The Muppet Show format works with these characters
3. Muppet writers will get behind it and it will be as good as the 02 show if not better because Jim Lewis and Kirk Thatcher and the 6 performers have recaptured that original spirit that they always had