Sesame Street Special "The Magical Wand Chase"

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
As for the voices, I would still take Caroll's over Vogel. I don't think Vogel is right for Big Bird anymore. Caroll needs a new understudy. Vogel's BB is too deep and nasally to the point that it's essentially an entirely different character. Even Vogel has acknowledged the fact that the two sound very different and has stated that his Big Bird is not Caroll's Big Bird. When Matt Vogel was younger he could do the voice, but now it just sounds too rubbery, deep, nasally and cartoonish (if that makes sense.)

I think Jacobsen does a good Oscar, but I'm sorry, I don't buy Vogel as Big Bird. It doesn't feel like the character should feel. Feels more like Barney and less like a 6 year old.

Perhaps Noel Macneal or Peter Linz? (who have both performed Big Bird when Spinney and Vogel were not available.)
Look at it this way: The reason Matt's Big Bird sounds like it does now is because, he has to keep the illusion that Big Bird's still played by one person. Once Caroll's done completely, Matt's Big Bird will sound a lot better. When he sang in this special, it was great. He didn't even need auto-tune like Caroll needed in the Meet Julia episode.

D'Snowth

Reaction score

I don't think Vogel is right for Big Bird anymore. Caroll needs a new understudy. Vogel's BB is too deep and nasally to the point that it's essentially an entirely different character.
I've often felt that Matt's Big Bird sounds much like Caroll's did during the period where Caroll was transitioning Big Bird from the country bumpkin he was during the first season to the more childlike character we know today.

And man: with that short hair and those glasses, Eric is unrecognizable!

HiHo3892

Reaction score
Look at it this way: The reason Matt's Big Bird sounds like it does now is because, he has to keep the illusion that Big Bird's still played by one person. Once Caroll's done completely, Matt's Big Bird will sound a lot better. When he sang in this special, it was great. He didn't even need auto-tune like Caroll needed in the Meet Julia episode.
I doubt that when Caroll does stop playing his character that Vogel's Big Bird will
I've often felt that Matt's Big Bird sounds much like Caroll's did during the period where Caroll was transitioning Big Bird from the country bumpkin he was during the first season to the more childlike character we know today.

And man: with that short hair and those glasses, Eric is unrecognizable!
Right. You could certainly make that argument, but is it right for the character development wise? I just think he would be better off in the hands of another performer. Big Bird has a distinct, instantly recognizable quality to him and while, yes there will always be an adjustment period for the public to accept the new performer as the character. I have never bought into Vogel as Big Bird. Personality wise, something is way off.

With a character like Prairie Dawn or Bert or Oscar, even with the new performers, I still feel like this is the same character we've been watching for over 40 years. With Big Bird, I don't get that same connectivity. And that's vitally important.

Matt is a fantastic performer, I just honestly don't think it's the right fit for him anymore.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, up until Matt, Caroll was wanting Noel MacNeil to be Big Bird's understudy, but Noel couldn't get the voice right, which I can kind of understand, because Noel's is a particularly distinct voice that I can imagine would be difficult for him to do a Big Bird voice.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
I honestly don't believe Matt's Big Bird will change all that significantly once Caroll stops. Say what you will about that Julia episode, I still think it was better to have Caroll come in and record for Big Bird than have Vogel do the voice. Yes, I acknowledge that it sounded a bit weaker. But the point is, it was distinctly Big Bird and without a doubt Caroll can still do the voice (even if he can't do it as well as he used to) better than Vogel can now.

Big Bird is iconic. And for an episode of such importance, introducing a new character to the street, teaching children about autism. I think to drive the point home it's better to have a recognizable presence of a character like Big Bird. Having the original Big Bird just establishes a sense of familiarity for children to accept a new character on the street and be open to learning about something like autism.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
Well, up until Matt, Caroll was wanting Noel MacNeil to be Big Bird's understudy, but Noel couldn't get the voice right, which I can kind of understand, because Noel's is a particularly distinct voice that I can imagine would be difficult for him to do a Big Bird voice.
Right. I could be wrong but I believe Noel supplied Big Bird's voice briefly on the tonight show phone booth? (6:07)

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
Oh god. Caroll singing with Auto-Tune.

Way to ruin a show.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
This is a phase we haven't really reached before with the performers. We've seen character voices evolve as the performers get older (i.e. Frank as Piggy or Grover). But, no one has gotten to the point where their age was detrimental to the performance; they either retired or passed away (unfortunately).

We all want the performers to keep going for as long as they can, because we fear change because we're obsessive. Caroll is a treasure and I love him, but even when he can't physically perform, the voices have suffered. BB doesn't sound young at all and Oscar's lost some of his deeper tone.

EDIT: And in that Fallon clip, it's Matt's voice.

HiHo3892

Reaction score
This is a phase we haven't really reached before with the performers. We've seen character voices evolve as the performers get older (i.e. Frank as Piggy or Grover). But, no one has gotten to the point where their age was detrimental to the performance; they either retired or passed away (unfortunately).

We all want the performers to keep going for as long as they can, because we fear change because we're obsessive. Caroll is a treasure and I love him, but even when he can't physically perform, the voices have suffered. BB doesn't sound young at all and Oscar's lost some of his deeper tone.

EDIT: And in that Fallon clip, it's Matt's voice.
I thought Caroll did fine as Big Bird in the Julia episode. Not as good as he used to, but still distinctly Big Bird.

And I completely agree. My point is even with Caroll's voice for his characters being weaker. I still believe it sounds better than Vogel doing the voice. Vogel just isn't the right fit for the character anymore. I honestly think he would be better off in the hands of another performer.

Big Bird just doesn't feel like the same character as the original performer the way Grover, Oscar, Elmo, Prairie Dawn, etc do.

Last edited: