What's next for the Muppets?

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
That sounds top draw
My wish is that the Muppets focus on quality and not quantity. I have long thought one of the reasons the recent show was not a success was that it was rushed into production. The pitch reel was so good and executives so impressed that the green lit the show immediately. That's good. But I think they only had about 60-70% of the premise fleshed out. So they were learning as they went. Were there great bits and very good episodes? Yes. Miss Piggy buying the gift was a stand out for me as was the Mindy Kaling and Jack White episodes. I do wish the Muppets' apparent disdain for Tom Bergeron was a running gag though.

To that end I would like to see the Muppets continue with their youtube videos. Not just the thought of the week, but also longer ones like Kodachrome and Flowers on the Wall.

I would love it if they developed a new holiday special. With Deadly becoming a core character (another great aspect of the new show) why not a Halloween special? Imagine a one hour Halloween special hosted/narrated by Uncle Deadly. The structure could be similar to The Simpsons' Treehouse of Horrors. Three shortish stories (either original or spoofs of classics - Dracula, The Mummy etc). They could possibly fit a guest star into each of the stories. The main cast of Muppets could be spread among the stories so they would not need to fit everybody into one. They could round out the hour with some cut a ways like The Chef making something with pumpkin spice or people trick-or-treating at Bobo's house. A song with the Electric Mayhem or such. Plus plenty of roles for the monsters and frackles. Plus I bet many a character would be eaten by the end of each story. I know Jim would approve of that part of the pitch.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Maybe a Netflix series? That's possible....
Actually Disney's planning their own streaming service in 2019, so the Netflix deal will expire due to Disney not really liking Netflix's strategy. If Disney's streaming service goes well, I think it's possible a Muppet film or series will go there instead since Disney's planning original films and shows for the streaming service.

los

Reaction score
I really think Tina Fey can revive the Muppets. 30 Rock was basically the Muppet Show

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I really think Tina Fey can revive the Muppets. 30 Rock was basically the Muppet Show
I think maybe she could, not because of 30 Rock (I haven't seen it yet), but because her other show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is amazing. It has witty humor, clever running gags, strong and likable characters, and it has heart. There's always a recurring message of characters learning to be positive no matter what life throws at you, and all the characters gradually overcome their personal flaws. That, and there's the fact that the writers are clearly Muppet/Sesame fans, as there are references in almost every episode. I really think if a new show had a mixture of writers from that show, and veteran Muppet writers (like Kirk Thatcher, Jim Lewis, and Craig Shemin) it would be amazing. The Muppet writers could, not only write episodes, but also oversee the others and help to maintain character consistency.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I think maybe she could, not because of 30 Rock (I haven't seen it yet), but because her other show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is amazing. It has witty humor, clever running gags, strong and likable characters, and it has heart. There's always a recurring message of characters learning to be positive no matter what life throws at you, and all the characters gradually overcome their personal flaws. That, and there's the fact that the writers are clearly Muppet/Sesame fans, as there are references in almost every episode. I really think if a new show had a mixture of writers from that show, and veteran Muppet writers (like Kirk Thatcher, Jim Lewis, and Craig Shemin) it would be amazing. The Muppet writers could, not only write episodes, but also oversee the others and help to maintain character consistency.
You really should see 30 Rock. It's hilarious.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I actually just started watching 30 Rock and it’s hysterical. It does remind me a lot of The Muppets (ABC).

DARTH MUPPET

Reaction score
the problem with streaming moving foreword there are to many it could get pricey especially if you do cable also like I do. :frown: I have Hulu for Futurama and Bobs Burgers and a whole slew of other FOX and non FOX Cartoons for adults. I get Netflix for Stranger Things and I cant wait for that Matt Groening show Disenchantment on Netflix. Apparently Disney who owns the GO Network who owns and runs ESPN, basically ESPN Is planning a sports Streaming service so like I said there's just to much if you get them all it gets pricey and then when you tack on Cable. the only way streaming is going to work moving forward is if all these streaming services merge and you can get what you want in a bundle kind of like the Roku Box but I am thinking way bigger. I am a fan of a lot of Studios and Networks but not enough money for all there streaming platforms.