Classic Disney Channel Early 80's-Early 2000's

Erine81981

Reaction score
Hey guys out there in Muppet Central land. I wanted to make a thread (hopefully there isn't already one) I did try and look to find a thread about Classic Disney Channel but couldn't find one. So I figured we could talk all things Disney Channel here. So post anything you like to pictures to collections about Disney Channel things you might have, magazines, videos, promos, TV guide listing of the shows back in the day. Just anything that relates to Disney Channel from the early 80's to the early 2000's.

So here is my first thing I'm doing on this thread. I'm asking a very important question (just for me) that some one might be able to answer.

Ok. I need some help here people. I too grew up with classic Disney stuff from the late 80's to the early 90's. Now I remember watching the Disney Channel growing up but later on we didn't get the Disney Channel. Now when Disney Channel first launched I would have been 1 year old and 7 months old. I don't remember any of the first several years till I maybe when I would have been 5 or 6 years of age when watching it. Here are a few questions I have and hopefully someone can help me here. Question 1: Did Disney Channel first broadcast on regular basic cable when it first broadcasted it self? Here is why I'm asking this particular one. I remember during the early 90's my family didn't get the Disney Channel. You had to pay extra to get the channel. I remember watching the previews when they would show them on Weekends. I don't ever remember seeing the it during the week. Only weekends but I would watch "Welcome to Pooh Corner" and "Dumbo's Circus during the week when I would be heading to school in the mornings. I don't remember ever see those shows shown on weekends. That leads me to my next question. Question 2: Did any of these certain shows ever air during the weekend? (Welcome to Pooh Corner, Dumbo's Circus, Mousecise, Donald Duck's Presents, Good Morning, Micky! etc.)

mr3urious

Reaction score
Question 1: Did Disney Channel first broadcast on regular basic cable when it first broadcasted it self?
I believe it started off as a premium channel to begin with until around 1997.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I believe it started off as a premium channel to begin with until around 1997.
Now when you say this. Do you mean that back when it first was broadcasted the only way to see the channel or watch any of it's content was you had to pay extra to get it. Correct?

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now when you say this. Do you mean that back when it first was broadcasted the only way to see the channel or watch any of it's content was you had to pay extra to get it. Correct?
That's exactly what I meant.

Erine81981

Reaction score
That's exactly what I meant.
Ok. When I was I would have to say around the age of 6 or 7 I remember watching the morning shows that Disney Channel would show. That was like "Welcome to Pooh Corner, Dumbo's Circus, Good Morning Mickey, Donald Duck Presents....and many others.

What I'm asking is that "Did Disney Channel's Free Preview back in the day go on longer then just a weekend viewings? Did the previews last a full week before going back to where you would have to pay to get the channel?

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Ok. When I was I would have to say around the age of 6 or 7 I remember watching the morning shows that Disney Channel would show. That was like "Welcome to Pooh Corner, Dumbo's Circus, Good Morning Mickey, Donald Duck Presents....and many others.

What I'm asking is that "Did Disney Channel's Free Preview back in the day go on longer then just a weekend viewings? Did the previews last a full week before going back to where you would have to pay to get the channel?
if i remembered right, i think that the free preview, went on for like a month.

Erine81981

Reaction score
if i remembered right, i think that the free preview, went on for like a month.
When you say this do you mean when it first was broadcasted or what? Cause I remember during the early 90's that it only lasted for three days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Now yes I was a lot older then but for some reason I can't remember the previews during when I was 6 or 7 or even 8 years old. Sorry to have made this thread and at the beginning of it I'm asking all these questions and all but I would like to know how I can remember watching certain shows only to find out that we never had the channel.

Yes I know of previews that would show only on the weekends but I don't remember ever seeing a whole month of Disney Channel for free.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
When you say this do you mean when it first was broadcasted or what? Cause I remember during the early 90's that it only lasted for three days, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Now yes I was a lot older then but for some reason I can't remember the previews during when I was 6 or 7 or even 8 years old. Sorry to have made this thread and at the beginning of it I'm asking all these questions and all but I would like to know how I can remember watching certain shows only to find out that we never had the channel.

Yes I know of previews that would show only on the weekends but I don't remember ever seeing a whole month of Disney Channel for free.
you know it might have been a whole week, i don't think that the Disney channel would do a free preview, for three days. by the way, i got sad when the free previews ended, the last preview that i seen, was right around the time when they were still airing Muppets tonight.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
In all honesty, with the exception of occasional broadcasts of movies ranging from classic Disney Canon, to non-Disney favorites like Muppet movies (even FTB) and such, Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network consumed most of my attention in those days that I rarely - if ever - bothered with Disney Channel. In fact, the only original Disney Channel series I ever got into was RECESS, and that was only after I saw the movie for free in theaters one summer and decided to check it out (otherwise, I just kind of ignored it). But now that Disney Channel's gone the route of silly, nonsensical tweencoms with ridiculously attractive and photogenic tween actors and actresses who start to look alike after a while, there's . . . Disney Channel's really not something to bother with still. Heck, MICKEY MOUSE WORKS (the superior-in-my-humble-opinion precursor to HOUSE OF MOUSE) was something I'd watch on ABC, not Disney Channel. Irony.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Well for me I watched Disney Channel back in the day when it was good. That is when I was able to watch it since it was a channel you had to pay extra for. But for me "Welcome to Pooh Corner, Dumbo's Circus, Donald Duck Presents, Good Morning, Mickey" were all good family entertainment that I would love to see come back. They need to make a channel only for the early 80's to early 2000's for Disney. I would watch it no matter what.

They could even maybe throw in some shows like "Fraggle Rock, Under the Umbrella Tree, Gummi Bears, Ducktales, Quack Attack!, Classic Mickey Mouse Club, New MMC and Walt Disney Presents or Disneyland Presents. So many things Disney could do to get their ratings up with more people watching but on the other hand just like any other channel it would end up just all the same. Newer shows would start to take over and then what. Older stuff would start to fade away once again. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.