Golden Globes - What's the Point?

Teheheman

Reaction score
The GRAMMYs are held in February, and I'm pretty sure the reasoning behind the 'Nominations concert' is to drum up interest in the show that had lost its allure in recent years.

Daniel

D'Snowth

Reaction score
"Hollywood Film Awards"? Really? Is that not what the Oscars are?!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ugh. Not only was Lindsey Stirling at one of the CMAs this year, for some reason, but she was reduced to playing back-up for somebody else, and didn't even really do anything that she's known for. That's incredibly disappointing.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here are the Oscar nominees for the awards this year:

http://oscar.go.com/nominees

I must say, I am liking the variety of animated features they have here: one CGI, two stop-motion, and two 2D. Though I'm shocked that The Peanuts Movie and The Good Dinosaur were snubbed while Shaun the Sheep got nominated instead, though there's nothing that seems undeserving here.

And even though the action-thrillers Mad Max and Bridge of Spies and sci-fi The Martian are in the Best Picture category, I have a strong feeling they're going to lose to the financial crisis-themed The Big Short or the period piece Brooklyn.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm pretty pleased with the animation noms. Shaun the Sheep is there because the Academy loves Aardman as much as Pixar as far as nominations go. The fact I haven't heard of one of the animation noms (the French one) is a good sign. Anomalisa I've seen ads for lately. I'm intrigued by it, I really want to know what it's about before I make any non-visual judgement on it. I'm actually mixed on the look. It's very innovative, but a tad Uncanny Valley-ish. All I know for sure they aren't giving it to the Japanese animated film. They rarely do if any. At least these films are artistic in there merits instead of "gaawwww... just pick a bunch of animated films out of lipservice" like the first awards for animated film were. Not going on that rant about Happy Feet getting nominated and winning when Satashi Kon's film was royally snubbed.

Meanwhile the song nominees once again show they have no taste in music. I honestly can't think of any original song from any movies I've seen this year, and I don't think the Bing Bong song counts (though it certainly became a tear jerking short piece). And what the heck?!?! Fifty Shades of Grey gets a nom for song? Speaking of which...

On the other side of things, the Razzie Noms were announced a day earlier.

Now, I got on this on the Chipmunks thread. I don't like where the franchise went after the second film, the movies are for lowest common denominator 3-6 year olds. Do I think it deserves a Razzie? Meh. I really think Jem movie was snubbed royally for "Worst Ripoff or Reboot" or whatever, and it's far more deserving than Chipmunks' "ugh! They made another one! How annoying" nom.

But It's nice to know while Fifty Sharts of Brown was undeserving nominated for best song, it's getting its fair share of completely deserved Razzie Noms. Pixels too. But if there's one thing I hope sweeps the Awards, it's Fantastic Four. Just for the sheer sake of it not needing to exist. It was made by a film company that wants to hold the less than lucrative rights to a franchise they failed with when the movies were (relatively) good and in spirit of FF's...well, batcrap insanity. And they still want them.

mr3urious

Reaction score
What does anyone think of Room (not to be confused with the similarly-named Tommy Wiseau picture), about a woman and her young son released from captivity and experiencing the outside world for the first time? That one also seems slated to win due to its subject matter.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree, what's the point in the Golden Globes? Heck, even it's host said it doesn't matter if we watch the show, he already got paid, so he asks what's the worst the producers can do to him. And I answer from my own home, they could always send you back to Gulag 38B, Dominick Badguy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still think the Oscars deserves its own thread and all, but I feel I need to weigh in on this.

The whole controversy about there not being any Black actors or writers or directors or anything getting Oscar noms. I mean, how come they're complaining about the Oscar academy being a bunch of old, out of touch white guys giving out popularity points now? I mean, I thought that was essentially the main complaint about the Oscars at the very least the past decade? It's like how when animation fans moan that Brave got the Oscar and I'm always like Happy Feet won it. Where was the outrage there? They always snub the Japanese film because they're old white guys who's only exposure to anime is their grand-kids watching Pokemon. That's like saying every American cartoon is..I dunno... made by Hanna Barbera in the 60's.

In this case, they snubbed the girl from Precious for a Sandra Bullock film that's unfortunate to say the least. Like I said, they twisted events to make the family look like a bunch of ignorant sides of beef that Mighty Whitey had to come in and save. By all means, a film more deserving of a Razzie than an Oscar. How come that went away with just a "whelp..." and not "you screwed a deserving actress who was in an actual emotional film over a manipulative lie that defamed an athlete and his family in the guise of 'inspirational.'" I believe the Daily Show had the right idea. They'll only nominate black actors or films if they're about slavery or getting revenge on slavery or something. But it's always been like this. Shame that Creed's only nom was Sylvester Stallone.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So I'm assuming they ended the Oscars with "Fight the Power" on purpose since they were "racist" this year?