The Muppets Episode 5 - Walk the Swine

What did you think of "The Muppets" episode "Walk the Swine"?

• Absolutely positively! This episode was great!

• Bork bork! This episode was good.

• Mee mee. This episode was so-so.

• You're all weirdos! This episode was disappointing.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, I wasn't going to take much stock in this episode because I never liked the Piggy feud with celebrity stuff. Not even in the original show, especially in the original show (though, to be fair they did do it pretty good with Annie Sue). And while they did give her a nice reason to be ticked off at Reese, most of it went predictably like it has since said original show.

But then it surprised me. Piggy felt shame. Self shame, but still shame. She didn't all the sudden love a celebrity because they loved her back. She felt actual shame and humiliation for doing the stuff she did. We saw her actually regret what she usually does. I...I don't think I've ever seen that. This is much deeper and better written than the other rivalries on the show. Heck, it's a surprising bout of humility from a character that characteristically never felt any. We got movie quality Piggy in a TV show. I am impressed. That's the mature, not adult, Muppets I want to see more of. Plus, I kinda dislike Reese Witherspoon, but she did some great Adam Westing here. Glad to see the guests having fun with this show.

And I also loved what they did with the Fozzie story. It's not so much that he humiliated his girlfriend (through ribbing, not insult comedy...someone's going to oversimplify that) in his comedy routine as a last ditch attempt at trying to get laughs (which the character has been known for). It's what they added to that B plot at the end that made it work. Having his girlfriend realize that all Fozzie wants is a laugh, and seeing him bomb on stage was worse than having him joke about her sweating. And then kinda dialing back on that with the credits stinger. But always saying that he does indeed love her.

The C story was actually decent as far as these C stories go. Nice to see Scooter used a lot in the series. And there was some good stuff there with Rizzo. I still think these are holding back the A and B stories a little, but this one felt self contained enough to be a decent aside.

But other than that, I've seen mark improvement over this episode. A musical number? Less emphasis on "adult" jokes that are admittedly kinda awkward at times? Better pacing than the last 2 episodes? I think this show is starting to get there. it's not perfect and has a ways to go, but for an episode I didn't think much of before, I was pleasantly surprised by how this one turned out.

Just... hopefully there won't be too many more Piggy vs. Female celebrity episodes in the future. Unless they can at least do something with them like they did here.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Once again, Piggy was portrayed as shallow and self-aggrandizing, and Kermit was an insecure, ineffectual producer. He did NOT lead Piggy in the right direction--he nagged her, he nagged AT her and his willingness to lie about what caused Piggy's behavior left him little moral ground to stand on. As "not nice" as they are trying to portray Piggy, Kermit's beating her by a longshot.

And WHAT about Piggy singing the "apology song" cost the show money? Kermit's complaint was weird and dumb. They already had a band, already had back-up singers and dancers---so what was the big expense, Kermit? Confetti?

Piggy is not being well-served by those her are handling her--either in HER show or in "the muppets." Eric's work with Piggy, as always, is superlative, but it can't make up for horrible writing. Piggy's most humble and human moment was glossed over, even by Kermit. (I thought they had a "code" for Piggy being in tears.)

I adore Miss Piggy. She had been my idol for years, and a role model on many levels. They are doing her--and her many fans--wrong.

Fix it, fix it, fix it.

animalrescuer

Reaction score
I think this was the weakest episode so far. I don't like how Miss Piggy is portrayed on the show at all. Especially in this episode, she's way too selfish and only focused on overtaking Reese Witherspoon for the expense of charity! Her "I'm sorry" number didn't help matters much either. I agree on the puppetry of tha number, that was fantastic! I loved Rizzo's part of the episode, he's back to his sneaky ways! I think there was a part where Rizzo didn't understand what Pepe said, that was gold! I have to admit, I cringed a little when Fozzie made jokes at his girlfriend's expense.

Overall, it was an okay episode.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Once again, Piggy was portrayed as shallow and self-aggrandizing, and Kermit was an insecure, ineffectual producer. He did NOT lead Piggy in the right direction--he nagged her, he nagged AT her and his willingness to lie about what caused Piggy's behavior left him little moral ground to stand on. As "not nice" as they are trying to portray Piggy, Kermit's beating her by a longshot.
Did you somehow tune out when she realized how stupid her actions were? I didn't care much for the set up myself (never liked her doing that on TMS), but that payoff was mind blowing.

And WHAT about Piggy singing the "apology song" cost the show money? Kermit's complaint was weird and dumb. They already had a band, already had back-up singers and dancers---so what was the big expense, Kermit? Confetti?
Eh... his complaint was that it would have cost the amount of money to do actual charity work. Don't see why that's out of character or dumb. I personally liked it when he called Piggy out on doing charity work for all the wrong reasons. That seemed like the Kermity thing to do there.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
We saw her actually regret what she usually does. I...I don't think I've ever seen that.
You saw it in Muppets Take Manhattan. Not with a celebrity, but still a female "rival." :smile:

Just... hopefully there won't be too many more Piggy vs. Female celebrity episodes in the future. Unless they can at least do something with them like they did here.
Well after this, they'd probably have to turn the tables and have a guest star actually deserve Piggy's scorn, lol.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I enjoyed Fozzie tearing up at hearing Becky and the others sing "True Colors", and Zoot playing the melody later on to rub it in. A nice little comeback after the desperate insults he gave her in his standup.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Now I know they mentioned his uncle was deceased on one of the holiday specials, but the continuity of the Muppets is a bit fluid especially, I think, for a side character like J.P. Plus it would be a nice reference for die hard fans.
Aside from including elements of The Muppet Show Theme into this shows theme song (and appearances by a number of obscure characters, if that would count), has this show had any references for the die hard fans? I haven't really noticed any.

One way that would have made for a good way to end the Fozzie subplot: After Becky lets Fozzie joke about her again, the audience laughs, but Statler and Waldorf heckle the material, making Fozzie feel bad about it.

Stephanie Evjen

Reaction score
The episode had a good plotline with Piggy and Reese Witherspoon's rivalry due to the fact that Reese won an Oscar for the movie "Walk the Line". My favorite part would definitely have to be the ending where Piggy did her apology song with Dr. Teeth rocking the turntables like the hip DJ he truly is. :flirt::big_grin: Honestly, I think Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem can really keep up with the times. I have to say, him spinning those records made him, as Rainbow Dash would say, 20% cooler in my eyes; he never ceases to amaze me. It's official: I really LOVE Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem!! :big_grin::sing::flirt::cool::halo::fanatic:

Muppet Master

Reaction score
It was a good episode, but a pretty weak one, probably my least favorite, but still was enjoyable. The Miss Piggy and Reese Witherspoon plot was good, but nothing special. I liked the Fozzie plot, and its cool that we got to see one of his performances. The Scooter and Rizzo plot was good, but I wish we got to actually see what happened. Overal, a good episode, but not as funny as the others, still a good time, and want to see the next episode's promo.