Are these good for replicas?...

TheBanjoKazoo

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I just wanna say this site looks great so far! This is my first post at all on this site. Any way I've always wanted some Puppets of the Muppet characters! I remember for a whiIe I was upset that I couldn't find any for sale that looked like the ones from the show and movies while other people did. Little did I know at the time that those people made them on their own. So know I understand that they don't sell real Puppets and that if I want one I have to make it alone. I'm planning on making Fozzie:embarrassed:. He's the one Muppet I feel I need to make(He's always been my favorite) . Problem is now that I'm older I realize that making such a thing is going to be much more difficult than I had hoped. I think Kermit may end up being my first seeing as he's much more simplistic. While searching the internet I found this little website called project puppet and saw that they sold patterns! The ones I am interested in are "The glorified sock puppet" with slight add ons to make a Kermit. "The Pinhead" for Fozzie's head. And "The Roly" for a Rowlf head. Now the question lies, Are these good for replicas? If any one can answer this question it would be very much appreciated! If you read all of this text thank you very much! Bye!

Muppetlab

Reaction score
Hiya, welcome to the forum :smile:

Project puppet are great patterns. The glorified sock pattern will be a great basic puppet to start with. I suggest following the instructions and making it how it says first before trying to turn it into a kermit. You will learn lots that you can put to use later with the replicas :smile:

The roly and pinhead as they are will be to small for a fozzie and Rowlf so will need enlarging.

Good luck :smile:

TheBanjoKazoo

Reaction score
Hiya, welcome to the forum :smile:

Project puppet are great patterns. The glorified sock pattern will be a great basic puppet to start with. I suggest following the instructions and making it how it says first before trying to turn it into a kermit. You will learn lots that you can put to use later with the replicas :smile:

The roly and pinhead as they are will be to small for a fozzie and Rowlf so will need enlarging.

Good luck :smile:
Thank you very much! I'll be sure to remember enlarging the Pinhead when I make Fozzie. But I'll start with the sock puppet most likely (never made any Puppets before).

FoxWorthy

Reaction score
Hi BanjoKazoo,

I began making puppets with high hopes to build my own Muppets as well. I've made my own original characters and things have really taken off locally for me as I perform regularly now.

I suggest making a Muppet that you like but don't love. That way, after the countless hours you've put in to it and the fact that it may be exactly what you went for, it will be easy for you to move on to the next one feeling accomplished.

I started with a Prairie Dawn and then Elmo. I kept a pattern for each piece of my first Elmo and then produced two more. A pattern really is wonderful.

I have big plans to make a Rowlf, Gonzo, Piggy and Dr. Teeth this winter.

Why not get the patterns for Fozzie and use them to make an original puppet; you will learn so much from your first build. Go for it!

Good luck and keep us posted.

TheBanjoKazoo

Reaction score
Hi BanjoKazoo,

I began making puppets with high hopes to build my own Muppets as well. I've made my own original characters and things have really taken off locally for me as I perform regularly now.

I suggest making a Muppet that you like but don't love. That way, after the countless hours you've put in to it and the fact that it may be exactly what you went for, it will be easy for you to move on to the next one feeling accomplished.

I started with a Prairie Dawn and then Elmo. I kept a pattern for each piece of my first Elmo and then produced two more. A pattern really is wonderful.

I have big plans to make a Rowlf, Gonzo, Piggy and Dr. Teeth this winter.

Why not get the patterns for Fozzie and use them to make an original puppet; you will learn so much from your first build. Go for it!

Good luck and keep us posted.
Thank you very much for the advise! I recently found the pattern for Kermit's head so one I get some matireals I will start with that. For me when I have something to go bye I kind of ace it for some reason so I shouldn't have to worry about that. I'm also making two kermits. (The kids I babysit would probably love one) so I can have a bit of knowledge when I make one full on. Unfortunately I can't use a pattern for Fozzie.I've looked for what feels like forever (about 2months XD ) for a Fozzie pattern but I just can't find one! Also, I can't wait to see your doctor teeth! He's my favorite member of the electric mayhem! I'm sure the others will be great to! Good luck!

Last edited:

Mavway02

Reaction score
I saw this post and I just had to chime in. I've been making puppets for just over a year now, and just as FoxWorthy said earlier, you should REALLY try making an original puppet first. When you try to make your first puppet a Kermit replica,(even when you have found a pattern for him) you might be extremely disappointed when he doesn't turn out too well. (Keep it noted that your talking to a guy very close to your own age.) That being said, don't get discouraged and decide not to make puppets. As I said before I've been making puppets for a single year, and my profile picture is one of my latest ones. My first puppet looked at the time, (and looks even more now) like a piece of garbage. All that said, I would highly suggest that you start with your own characters even if they are extremely simple, and then grow to making muppet replicas. I hope this helps :wink:

Edit: the patterns you showed are where I started. They are probably the easiest patterns out there to start with :smile:

TheBanjoKazoo

Reaction score
I saw this post and I just had to chime in. I've been making puppets for just over a year now, and just as FoxWorthy said earlier, you should REALLY try making an original puppet first. When you try to make your first puppet a Kermit replica,(even when you have found a pattern for him) you might be extremely disappointed when he doesn't turn out too well. (Keep it noted that your talking to a guy very close to your own age.) That being said, don't get discouraged and decide not to make puppets. As I said before I've been making puppets for a single year, and my profile picture is one of my latest ones. My first puppet looked at the time, (and looks even more now) like a piece of garbage. All that said, I would highly suggest that you start with your own characters even if they are extremely simple, and then grow to making muppet replicas. I hope this helps :wink:

Edit: the patterns you showed are where I started. They are probably the easiest patterns out there to start with :smile:
Thank you for the advise! I am planning on making something new as a first puppet. Only thing is I have no money to buy the patterns and supplies to make one. Btw its really inspiring that your not to much older than me but making a puppet as professional as that! Right now all I'm doing is testing some methods of sewing and making the mouth for when I buy the patterns. Either way Thank you very much for responding!

EDIT: btw I didn't mean I'd be using the pattern as a first puppet. I'm not very good at wording things over text some times. I meant I'd be making the Kermit before Fozzie.

Mavway02

Reaction score
Awesome! Sounds like a plan. Just a tip if you are in the US, you can get some decent fleece at Hobby Lobby for around $5 per yard, and for the project puppet patterns, you only need around 1/2 to 1/3 of a yard depending if you use the fleece wisely. You can also get some higher quality fleece at handcock fabrics if there is one near by. Also, you can get a 15% discount on the project puppet patterns if you sign up on the website. I hope that this helps. :smile: Have fun puppet building!

TheBanjoKazoo

Reaction score
Awesome! Sounds like a plan. Just a tip if you are in the US, you can get some decent fleece at Hobby Lobby for around $5 per yard, and for the project puppet patterns, you only need around 1/2 to 1/3 of a yard depending if you use the fleece wisely. You can also get some higher quality fleece at handcock fabrics if there is one near by. Also, you can get a 15% discount on the project puppet patterns if you sign up on the website. I hope that this helps. :smile: Have fun puppet building!
I did see that discount on the website so I'll definently be taking advantage of that! Unfortunately I can't go to those stores as I live in Canada. But eh I'll find some where to buy some :wink:

TheBanjoKazoo

Reaction score
Thank you for all the help guys! I have heard some Fozzie replicas use the punto pattern from project puppet. Would this be a better alternative? I would really like to know. Still not saying Fozzie's coming any time soon but still.