Kermit and Miss Piggy Officially Split!

Ladywarrior

Reaction score
oh good grief. let people be upset. it's like celebrities. like when your favorite hollywood couples break up. you get upset. it's not your life or anything but you still get upset.

Iscah

Reaction score
oh good grief. let people be upset. it's like celebrities. like when your favorite hollywood couples break up. you get upset. it's not your life or anything but you still get upset.
Yes, and no. Celebrities are real people, and a breakup is a real breakup. There's no larger narrative they're following. We have no idea what will happen to them in the future. Whereas for Kermit and Piggy, we can know that this is one step in a story arc, and look forward to their (highly probable) reunion.

(Yes, you are entitled to feel upset. I just want to point out that there is also a reason to not feel so upset - not in a "you shouldn't be" but in a "don't worry, this is temporary and it will get better" way.)

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Which I don't get, yet sort of do at the same time. Still, the fact that they refused to mention any behind the scenes anything in the TV Guide thing but didn't feel the need to respect the same of ALF was a little...off. And especially all the horror stories I heard about Paul Fusco trying to do the same thing, making him a virtual celebrity, it's a little...off.
Yeah. I know what you mean because I checked imdb.com the other day and Kermit the Frog himself had a profile, talking about the actual Kermit the Frog rather than Steve Whitmire. I liked the ALF comparison too. I actually never knew that Paul played him until years later.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Are people seriously complaining that the mainstream media is treating this story as real?? THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF THE MUPPETS. THAT'S HOW THE MEDIA IS SUPPOSED TO TREAT THESE STORIES!
It's AWESOME that they all played along. What surprises me is how many "so called" fans here REFUSE to. COME ON.
There's a longwinded rant anyone can give about the state of the news media and goofy little uplifting side stories and entertainment news being tacked on. I say, if anyone feels this is the unnewsworthy puff piece story that broke that, they've been living under a rock. This story was meant to be spread around as a fun little thing to get interest in the series and to establish why Kermit's with Denise instead of his iconic partner. Some of us do indeed want to play along knowing it's the fictitious relationship of fictitious characters. By all means anyone can agree/disagree with this publicity stunt, it's that some are taking it waaay too seriously that's a turn off.

Yes, and no. Celebrities are real people, and a breakup is a real breakup. There's no larger narrative they're following. We have no idea what will happen to them in the future. Whereas for Kermit and Piggy, we can know that this is one step in a story arc, and look forward to their (highly probable) reunion.
Actually, I almost believe that the Kermit and Piggy split is less orchestrated than some of the carefully crafted by PR agents breakups they put on the news. :big_grin:

But yeah. I get that some people have real personal ownership and some are just annoyed Disney would bother doing this. Some are taking it way too seriously. The conversation shouldn't be "OMG teh Dizzney is evil because Kermit and Piggy were always a couple because deleted scene in a comic book adaption of MTM." The conversation should be "is this a good idea or a bad idea from a marketing standpoint, and will this get the interest in the show it's trying to get," and, "I like/don't like this knowing that it's all fiction anyway."

(Yes, you are entitled to feel upset. I just want to point out that there is also a reason to not feel so upset - not in a "you shouldn't be" but in a "don't worry, this is temporary and it will get better" way.)
I'm shocked that anyone who actually caught the plot synopsis, teaser, trailer, and finally the actual pilot pitch and already knew that the couple broke up and it's a major plot point are so shocked this is a thing. There's a difference between feeling upset because they feel this is a stupid stunt, and taking it personally because childhood. There was never any Muppet canon no matter how much the last 2 movies tried. Piggy and Kermit were only an official couple in the 80's, when there really wasn't much Muppet media outside of a TV special and an alternate age cartoon series. Even then, they've been on again off again since the 90's. Don't see why that's a problem, unless it's a general "everything not done by Jim himself is awful" complaint.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Watch some of the S2 S3 episodes. He wasn't just a jerk...he was cruel and said terrible hurtful things sometimes about her weight.
You mean Muppet Show? The jokes about weight weren't too bad there because they were usually in retaliation for Piggy's diva attitude. All the characters had their quirks and got picked on and it was just a charmingly dysfunctional showbiz family. Plus you knew Piggy could give as good as she got. The weight jokes in the 90s and 2000s weren't executed quite the same way and made it seem like it was the gang vs. Piggy.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Miss Piggy was the one forcing her romantic love on Kermit all these years.She could never get it in her head that the feeling is not mutual.
The relationship was never really mutual from the get go.
Kermit and Piggy are your classic "will they/won't they?" dynamic. That isn't the same thing as "the relationship wasn't mutual." People can have mutual feelings but let a ton of things get in the way.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Kermit and Piggy were always a couple because deleted scene in a comic book adaption of MTM."
And because why would Piggy replace Gonzo with some random guy unless he was actually a minister? Was Gonzo just that bad an actor? :concern:

Plus, again, 30th anniversary special. :wink:

I don't even mind this break up thing that much, it's all in good fun. Just wanted to clear that MTM thing up. :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And because why would Piggy replace Gonzo with some random guy unless he was actually a minister? Was Gonzo just that bad an actor? :concern:
In the comic book adaptation, Gonzo is actually the one who brought in the minister. At one point when the Muppets are trying to cure Kermit's amnesia, Miss Piggy asks Gonzo if he found a doctor, Gonzo says "No, but I found a minister!"

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
In the comic book adaptation, Gonzo is actually the one who brought in the minister. At one point when the Muppets are trying to cure Kermit's amnesia, Miss Piggy asks Gonzo if he found a doctor, Gonzo says "No, but I found a minister!"
Exactly, and again, you don't even need that explanation from Gonzo for it to be implied.