The rebuild I've wanted to do for two years...

ashkent

Reaction score
I love the build stages. It still looks magical to me when I see a set of progress pictures of a build.
Really love it!
I think during the builds it is great when you look back at them, the only thing is that while you are building they tend to look nothing like the puppet they are meant to be, usually until the very end. Even just without pupils they look wrong and you constantly question if you need to change the shape or size of certain parts.

Ian Mac

Reaction score
ashKent I totally agree with your comments and that's part of the magic. Without doing s drawing or having a visual reference to work from I find it hard to visualise the stages.
And if I'm honest it's only by seeing the work stages of others thats enabled me to know starting blocks and how to build upon them.
Credit to you and everyone else who share these stages that help us newcomers to Muppet/Puppet building.

ashkent

Reaction score
ashKent I totally agree with your comments and that's part of the magic. Without doing s drawing or having a visual reference to work from I find it hard to visualise the stages.
And if I'm honest it's only by seeing the work stages of others thats enabled me to know starting blocks and how to build upon them.
Credit to you and everyone else who share these stages that help us newcomers to Muppet/Puppet building.
I think everyone starts the same. My first builds were based on pictures from the internet and when you see the workings, the joins, the different methods people use it is a lot easier than buying a pattern and thinking that you have to follow it exactly. I seem to remember that the first professional puppet I bought was a second hand Pavlov snake. I bought it from eBay and basically took it apart to see what was connected where and how. So to me, without people sharing work in progress pictures I wouldn't have been doing what I do now.

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
I think everyone starts the same. My first builds were based on pictures from the internet and when you see the workings, the joins, the different methods people use it is a lot easier than buying a pattern and thinking that you have to follow it exactly. I seem to remember that the first professional puppet I bought was a second hand Pavlov snake. I bought it from eBay and basically took it apart to see what was connected where and how. So to me, without people sharing work in progress pictures I wouldn't have been doing what I do now.

That's the great thing of these new tools, internet and its blogs, youtube and more sites, people have learned to share, growing by sharing, asking, answering. And expanding the world of options and possibilities. This further develops divergent thinking, there is no single way to achieve a result. We can see a puppet in a photo and suspect how it was made. Even if we mistakenly think it was made in some way, and we solve it following that idea, it's a magnificent achievement, we create a new way to reach.

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score

Now I'm trying to build my own generic puppet, like a Whatnot, but with the materials I can find here in my country. I never knew if they have some kind of liner and, if they have it, how I should attach it. Unfortunately I can't buy a real Whatnot here in Argentina. There should be a store here.

ashkent

Reaction score
Now I'm trying to build my own generic puppet, like a Whatnot, but with the materials I can find here in my country. I never knew if they have some kind of liner and, if they have it, how I should attach it. Unfortunately I can't buy a real Whatnot here in Argentina. There should be a store here.
For the lining of the puppets you can really use any soft fabric. I tend to use fleece and just see it into the base of the head inside whatever neck the puppet has and then I normally also sew it into the bottom of the body so it creates a full tube from head to entry hole. I think like most things there is no right or wrong when it comes to lining material as long as it is comfortable.

Diego Fiorucci

Reaction score
For the lining of the puppets you can really use any soft fabric. I tend to use fleece and just see it into the base of the head inside whatever neck the puppet has and then I normally also sew it into the bottom of the body so it creates a full tube from head to entry hole. I think like most things there is no right or wrong when it comes to lining material as long as it is comfortable.

Ok, thanks a lot. I need to try.