Indiewire: Does Muppets Most Wanted Have Oscar "Best Song" Potential?

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that too! Great news! It'll take a little more good luck to get one of those in the final nominations, but I like MMW's odds!

I'm still pulling for "We're Doing A Sequel" to be a major Oscar production number with several other "franchise" actors and characters joining the Muppets. And I'll stick to that wish even if it DOESN'T get nominated for Best Song!

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
Good news: The AV Club's Jesse Hassenger thinks "Cockatoo in Malibu" is a deserving Best Song candidate and gives the MMW music some Oscar love in a new article.

Bad news: The article goes to great lengths to explain why the most deserving Best Song candidates from 2014, including MMW, may not make the cut when the nominations come out on January 15:

http://www.avclub.com/article/everything-isnt-awesome-how-rules-ruin-oscars-best-213439

Muppet Master

Reaction score
Well, I guess there were no nominations, well that is sad, really would have been a reason to be rooting for something.

Minstrel Murray

Reaction score
I'm pretty disappointed that there is no MMW song nominated. I wasn't necessarily expecting a nomination, because I certainly didn't have much knowledge of what songs might be competing for a spot, but it just doesn't make sense to me when comparing it to the one nominee I am familiar with. I don't see how "Everything Is Awesome" could be selected over any potential MMW song. I think the song worked well for its movie, but I find it very simplistic in both its lyrics and music. To me Bret's songs are much more well-crafted, I love some of his instrumentation, and I don't understand how "Everything Is Awesome" could be considered "better".

Obviously the "what makes a good song" debate is not unique to this case. And others here have already mentioned the same things I would have: the song or movie's popularity, the South Park example, etc. But it still bugs me.

Whether or not it would have been the right song to pick from MMW, I would have loved it if a live Piggy/Celine duet could have happened!

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't see how "Everything is Awesome" is getting the brunt of the complaint when, no doubt, a bunch of crappy, emotionally manipulative, dreary and shallow songs always get the cut and are no doubt on the list and will no doubt win. I've seen plenty of awful songs win Oscars.

It is disappointing the Muppets got a big fat snub, but let's face it... even when they were nominated, they were snubbed. Except that one time when the only other song that was nominated was in meh third party CGI film Rio. And even then, that was a stroke of luck that didn't win. Mind you, they completely snubbed the song from Captain America, even though the music was written by Alan Menkin. Seriously, if that were nominated, it would have won.

I don't see why this is the big outrage when it took Man or Muppet to give the Muppets a win. Didn't they lose to some lousy song from a Sally Field movie? It's like the outrage over Brave winning over Paranorman and Wreck it Ralph instead of the Satashi Kon's film released that year not getting a nomination and Happy Feet winning. That's, like, a thousand times worse. I'm pretty happy with the animated movie selection, but let's face it. The Oscars are where the dreariest, most depressing, political message-iest films go to get acclaim so Hollywood's off the hook for Blended.

I'm pretty happy at least "Everything is Awesome" got the nod instead of "Death is Sad" from "Some guy dies through the whole movie."

Muppet Master

Reaction score
A song that could have been written by a preschooler gets a nomination, but any muppet song does not, the oscars are just bizarre.

WalterLinz

Reaction score
A song that could have been written by a preschooler gets a nomination, but any muppet song does not, the oscars are just bizarre.
While I do love Everything is Awesome and am so happy for it, I had no idea it'll become an Oscar nom.XD

Also, I read that the Lego Movie is nominated for Best Animated Film at the BAFTAs.:stick_out_tongue:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I guess my Best Animated Picture preference goes in this order:

Boxtrolls
Big Hero 6
How to Train Your Dragon
Song of the Sea
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

Drtooth

Reaction score
Facepalm.

You actually saw the Lego Film, right?

Love how that's the song that gets the hate and not the same maudling crap that usually wins the awards. In fact, Everything is Awesome's probably the only song from a movie people have actually seen. I'm disappointed too, but considering the other nominations, the Academy has it's head up itself for going for the artsy fartsy cred. Last time I checked, they didn't even nominate Paul Williams's work in Book of Life. It's a somber song in a fun movie, and it's probably a LOT deeper than the other entries here.

Blame the Academy, not The Lego Movie. And never forget "Rainbow Connection" lost to some forgettable crap from Norma Jean or Nora Joan or whatever that thing no one remembers is called.