Speculation: Sesame Street 45th Anniversary Possibilities

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
I know I read that the producers want him to stay on the show until season 50, and I haven't seen where he plans to retire, but it seems like a good time to do so. Big Bird would certainly be in good hands; I wonder who's been understudying for Oscar.

The press release mentions the song remakes this season ("Let's Go Driving" and "Believe in Yourself") are part of their anniversary celebration. So...there's that.
I thought Jim Martian is Oscar's understudy.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually, Matt Vogel is only the understudy for Big Bird. I think he talked about Oscar in an interview, can't exactly remember what he said, but Oscar doesn't seem to have an understudy. Of course the whole point of having Vogel be an understudy for Big Bird in the first place was because Sesame Workshop (and maybe Henson) wanted Big Bird to make public appearances that Carol Spinney didn't really feel like doing, and they didn't want him to just be there and be silent.

And even after Vogel started performing Big Bird on the show, there have been times when Big Bird and Oscar interracted yet Spinney still did both voices (examples include What's the Name of That Song? and A Celebration of Me, Grover!).

If Oscar's voice sounds like it's been different in the past decade, keep in mind that many character voices change a bit over time, even when there aren't recasts. Compare Kermit's voice from up to the early 1970s with his voice from the late-1970s and then with his voice from Jim Henson's last few years and there is a bit of a difference.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'm still baffled by those who would rather see the same old clips available everywhere else on the full hour show. Yes, there's a completely idiotic reasoning for this, and yes, they love to show things that are only in widescreen, except when they don't... but we whined for DVD releases, we had Youtubers upload stuff which lead to SW doing it themselves with not off of a 20+ year old SLP speed VHS recording.

They're literally a couple clicks away. Why wait for one of 26 episodes to watch something a simple YT search can bring up instantly? Heck, with the amount of current on show YT uploads by SW, there's almost no reason to watch the show at all.
Well, I feel it would be great for many old clips to appear on the show, to audiences that don't neccessarily buy DVDs or use the internet (though there's not many who don't use the internet these days). Especially since, if they did continue showing older clips, maybe they'd randomly show some really rare ones, ones that don't exactly have objectible content but aren't online (at least not in English) anywhere.

Though I do wonder, if Sesame Workshop decided to once again air clips from the very early years, if something very rare was suddenly featured in a new episode, would they also put that clip online (assuming it's one that's not online at sesamestreet.org or Sesame Workshop's YouTube chanel), like they seem to do with every new insert these days?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I think I've suggested an idea somewhere where many performances of the same song appear on one release, but a new idea I've had would be a DVD of the songs that have had the most performances... And combine the various renditions in one montage. Like the "C is for Cookie mash-up" that appears in C is for Cookie Monster.

It could have mash-ups of the various versions of Rubber Duckie, C is for Cookie, I Love Trash, ABC-DEF-GHI, Sing, and What's the Name of That Song? In fact there could be a super-long mash-up of The People in Your Neighborhood, showcasing a lot of different people in the neighborhood over the years (i'd say the same for One of These Things, considering all the versions there were during the early years, except that song is kind of short for a big mash-up).