Lips

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
TwoHeadedLlama said: So I was just informed by a tumblr friend that

SPOILERS BELOW: PLEASE HIGHLIGHT

Lips does no have a solo speaking line in the film. Which means that either it was cut or the thing that was recorded in January wasn't part of the film. So it's still a mystery.
In response to the spoiler:

Well, to be fair, Dave never specifically said what production the line was for. And for all we know, it could have just been something Steve did while the cameras were off.
*I would have used the "reply"/"quote" option, but the spoilers are too noticeable in the box.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That's too bad. I know that he's listed in the credits, but I guess that's not too different from Zoot being in the credits for The Muppets despite not having any lines in that.

galagr

Reaction score
Holy Moly! I see not one, not two, but THREE different pictures of Lips in the participators of this thread. That's gotta break some kind of record.

TwoHeadedLlama, I'm not calling you or your friend a liar, but I think I'll wait until Friday before we can officially say if he has a line or not. Let's see for ourselves. I mean, from the scenes we've seen, he's gonna be in this movie pretty frequently!

Not to mention, on the Muppet Mindset review of MMW, it said that every member of the Electric Mayhem (besides Zoot, of course) got at least two lines of dialogue in the film. Now, I'm not sure if that includes or excludes Lips, but it gives me further hope that he'll get not one, but TWO lines of dialogue!

Oh well. Even if Lips doesn't get any lines, we still have Robin's cameo to look forward to.

TwoHeadedLlama

Reaction score
Holy Moly! I see not one, not two, but THREE different pictures of Lips in the participators of this thread. That's gotta break some kind of record.

TwoHeadedLlama, I'm not calling you or your friend a liar, but I think I'll wait until Friday before we can officially say if he has a line or not. Let's see for ourselves. I mean, from the scenes we've seen, he's gonna be in this movie pretty frequently!

Not to mention, on the Muppet Mindset review of MMW, it said that every member of the Electric Mayhem (besides Zoot, of course) got at least two lines of dialogue in the film. Now, I'm not sure if that includes or excludes Lips, but it gives me further hope that he'll get not one, but TWO lines of dialogue!

Oh well. Even if Lips doesn't get any lines, we still have Robin's cameo to look forward to.

:big_grin:: Too true, too true.

TwoHeadedLlama

Reaction score
Well, I think it's ok to spill the beans now. I went and saw the movie today, and Lips does not have a line. I think I know what happened though.

In the junior novel, there's a sentence that states that after Constantine tells the Muppets they can celebrate, the Electric Mayhem 'goes crazy and destroys their instruments.' Which means that Lips probably commented on this, but the scene was cut.

galagr

Reaction score
Well, I think it's ok to spill the beans now. I went and saw the movie today, and Lips does not have a line. I think I know what happened though.

In the junior novel, there's a sentence that states that after Constantine tells the Muppets they can celebrate, the Electric Mayhem 'goes crazy and destroys their instruments.' Which means that Lips probably commented on this, but the scene was cut.

Yeah, I noticed he didn't get a line. :sympathy: *sigh* Well, hopefully the scene is included as a deleted scene on the DVD.

minor muppetz

Reaction score

I was wondering what the context of the "buh we don't got any instruhments" line would have been about.

I noticed that Lips is there quite a bit for maybe the first hour, but then he seems to disappear for the rest of the movie. He's not at the wedding, he's not in the gulag finale, he's not with the band in the interrogation scene but I can't remember if he appears again afterwards... I doubt there was a deleted scene with him being left behind or kicked out or something (even if there was I would think he'd be on the wall at least).

It's interesting how Steve Whitmire now knows how to do the character, and he's been seen a bit more in the last year, yet he's still silent. He could have gotten a line in the Lady Gaga special, or sung on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (though he was with the band there, it seems they were avoiding showing him with the band until the final group shot, though there's a few earlier shots where part of him could be seen). In fact they seem to be inconsistent on including him with the band (he's not in any of the Toyota commercials, but was in a print advertisement for Toyota).

And it's interesting Steve found a character hook for Lips after giving him some attitude with one line he was supposed to have. After reading about the line, I feel like it has the same kind of attitude as his line in "Barnyard Boogie" or his "let's hit the road! how about a little traveling music?" line in The Great Muppet Caper.

TwoHeadedLlama

Reaction score
I noticed that Lips is there quite a bit for maybe the first hour, but then he seems to disappear for the rest of the movie. He's not at the wedding, he's not in the gulag finale, he's not with the band in the interrogation scene but I can't remember if he appears again afterwards... I doubt there was a deleted scene with him being left behind or kicked out or something (even if there was I would think he'd be on the wall at least).
Agree completely. I have absolutely no idea what Lips's status is in the Muppets now, since he tends to be like the 'where's Waldo' of the group. He pops up in the front lines and vanishes as quickly as he appears. Heck, trying to figure out what Disney or whoever is trying to do with him hurts my brain a bit.

As for vanishing from the movie, I like to pretend that it had something to do with the fact that Gonzo ran him over with a motorcycle in his last scene, lol.

SkeetScootSquat

Reaction score
Agree completely. I have absolutely no idea what Lips's status is in the Muppets now, since he tends to be like the 'where's Waldo' of the group. He pops up in the front lines and vanishes as quickly as he appears. Heck, trying to figure out what Disney or whoever is trying to do with him hurts my brain a bit.

As for vanishing from the movie, I like to pretend that it had something to do with the fact that Gonzo ran him over with a motorcycle in his last scene, lol.
my guess for Lips sudden disappearance is that one of the bulls from gonzo's IROB stunt tripped and landed in the orchestra pit,squashing Lips,leaving him in not good enough condition to make it to the second part of the film.