Your Thoughts: Lady Gaga and The Muppets Holiday Spectacular on ABC

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Other than the fact I still think the Muppets cannot work on a major broadcast network, AFV is never going to die because it's so cheap to produce. And I'm sure someone will bellyache if it did go away, begging it to come back. We do indeed have Youtube and vine. AFV has never been more culturally irrelevant, and it's hour long block sits like a moss and mold encrusted cinderblock on the network's schedule. Still, I don't see the Muppets on that time slot. That's probably better suited for last week's rerun of Once Upon a Time.

AFV's ending soon actually.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The best place for it would be at 7:00 or 7:30 on Sunday nights that's currently taken up by America's Funniest Home Videos. Seriously, everybody has YouTube. Does that show need an entire hour?
Uh, no, not everybody has YouTube... a lot of people out there don't even have regular internet access, or even home computers... but almost everybody does have broadcast television.

And besides, nobody goes on YouTube to watch the kinds of things they show on AFV, they go to look for old shows and movies that aren't available on DVD or being shown on TV.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Uh, no, not everybody has YouTube... a lot of people out there don't even have regular internet access, or even home computers... but almost everybody does have broadcast television.

And besides, nobody goes on YouTube to watch the kinds of things they show on AFV, they go to look for old shows and movies that aren't available on DVD or being shown on TV.

Shows like AFV are becoming more and more obsolete. Most people have internet access by way of laptop, smart phone or library card. Internet access something that accommodates rich and poor alike. I have friends who plug their laptops in McDonald's. Free wifi is everywhere for the cost of a chicken sandwich. But I'm sure there are some people who fall outside of that.

Anyway, shows like AFV are geared toward elderly audiences and they don't really drive programming choices. That's obvious from the amount of risque programs and lack of Matlock. Anyway, the kind of auds that would watch AFV on a Sunday night, would probably just as well watch it on a Friday night to help clear the way for a Muppets show on Sunday. It's moved timeslots before and Friday night would cut off a huge segment of youthful Muppet fans who'd likely have plans for the weekend. Sunday really is the best time for a Muppet Show because the weekend is over, families are settling in and everyone is ready for a good laugh. That's my point. :wink: It's really the only place it fits on ABC and I'd want it to be on network TV.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Boy, we're really ready to get off topic, aren't we?

Shows like AFV are becoming more and more obsolete. Most people have internet access by way of laptop, smart phone or library card. Internet access something that accommodates rich and poor alike. I have friends who plug their laptops in McDonald's. Free wifi is everywhere for the cost of a chicken sandwich. But I'm sure there are some people who fall outside of that.
I'm completely dumbfounded by television shows about what's on the internet. Stuff like Culture Click (they're mostly low budget pap for kids or something). If you don't have the internet (and there are some that do), why would you want to watch a TV show about it?

As for AFV:

AFV's ending soon actually.
I certainly hope so.

But yeah. Youtube. Even if you don't have access, chances are, you'll see viral videos somewhere. One of their friends, maybe... Ellen shows them non-stop on her talk show. There's no need for AFV when the same exact videos are available other places. And AFV never got the bonus of completely inappropriate far right racist comments. :wink: But I've noticed that they stopped producing filler TV shows (mostly for NBC) about crappy found videos like that. The TV media has never been faster to kill a meme by referencing it (Gangam Style was worn out in less than a few months, it took a couple years for them to ruin "Never gonna Give You Up.")

As for the Muppets having a primetime slot on a major network, I just keep thinking of JHH (barely a season) and MT (one season on broadcast, the second on cable) vs TMS (five years), Fraggle Rock (5 years), and Sesame Street (45 years). The only Muppet program to work on a network was that Saturday Morning cartoon. And that's because it was a Saturday Morning Cartoon and had a lot of merchandise. There are so many reports of TV watchers wanting The Muppets back on TV... but will that translate to actually watching it?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Anyway, shows like AFV are geared toward elderly audiences and they don't really drive programming choices. That's obvious from the amount of risque programs and lack of Matlock.
I get a little sick of the whole, "We must, must, must reel in the younger crowd, because they're the only ones who watch TV," mindframe that networks have, because older people do watch TV. I know networks have been that way since, well, really, the beginning of television (after all, that whole Rural Purge of the early 70s was canceling shows right and left because apparently only old people and rednecks watched them), but I mean, to cater only target audience is really doing more harm than good to the television industry, because there's really no meeting of the masses anymore... a new Muppet show could very well be a solution to that, but it was have to be done right.
I'm completely dumbfounded by television shows about what's on the internet. Stuff like Culture Click (they're mostly low budget pap for kids or something). If you don't have the internet (and there are some that do), why would you want to watch a TV show about it?
Because the format of the show makes it all the more interesting. Take CLIPAHOLICS on truTV, for example: you've got Jason Alexander providing wonderful dry and sarcastic, yet hilariously funny narrations for the clips featured, and that's really what makes the clips funny, because the clips by themselves really aren't that great to begin with, unless they're being made fun of.

And like I said, people don't go onto the internet to look for this stuff at all, they really don't, they go to look for shows and movies that aren't available else where in other formats (VHS, DVD, whatever).

Drtooth

Reaction score
Because the format of the show makes it all the more interesting. Take CLIPAHOLICS on truTV, for example: you've got Jason Alexander providing wonderful dry and sarcastic, yet hilariously funny narrations for the clips featured, and that's really what makes the clips funny, because the clips by themselves really aren't that great to begin with, unless they're being made fun of.

That's probably an exception to the rule. Culture Click isn't so much about web vidoes as it's about dry educational facts that they pretend to look up on the internet.

I shouldn't complain, since it's banished to the depths of qubo where no one can see it, but still... if kids have internet, they're going to play games... not look up dry facts.

As for the crazy clip things... they never actually show fun clips. I never really cared much for AFV, but really liked America's Funniest People. There's an effort to having to be funny there. Plus, the best place I've been to find the weirdest internet clips possible? Conventions. Anime H**l, to be precise (they air little to no anime, strangely enough. And what they do is ironic). I've woken up to great stuff like Jone's Big @## Truck Rental and Storage and Jones' Good @## BBQ and Foot Massage. not to mention a violent German safety video, the French Pac-Man theme song music video, and just generally funnier stuff than "Man getting hit by football." TV isn't exactly a good place to pass those around. They'd have to pay for them for one thing.

terrimonster

Reaction score
And like I said, people don't go onto the internet to look for this stuff at all, they really don't, they go to look for shows and movies that aren't available else where in other formats (VHS, DVD, whatever).
I just have to interject that you're way off base on this one. Yes, some people go to look for shows and movies, but that's certainly not what all people do. It's not even what the majority do. If you look at the YouTube videos with the highest views, they're viral sensations. I think you'll find more people are going to YouTube for clips of current shows, amateur news/event footage, videos from friends and family, and YouTube-based channels/shows. The analytics and viewership data just don't hold up to the notion that people go to YouTube just for shows and movies they can't find elsewhere. Like I said, some people go solely/primarily for that reason, but it's a niche market.

That said, AFV still has a viable audience. A lot of people still want content served up for them rather than searching it out. Also, as previously stated, the commentary is a big draw. It's a shrinking market to be sure, but it's still big enough to justify the small budget of AFV. I find myself oddly placed in this target audience despite my not-that-old-yet age. I can find whatever shows/movies/music I want online without much trouble, and do on occasion, but I'd rather watch pre-programmed TV as it airs than even watch from my DVR. I'd also rather listen to a radio station than iTunes. I love the hands-off nature of it. But I know I'm a dying breed, and even find myself more in DVR/Hulu/iTunes than live TV or radio.

I like to watch AFV.

I think there's an audience out there for a Muppet show, but I'm also not sure that network TV is the right place. I would love to think families would sit down together on Sunday night to watch the Muppets, but I don't see it happening.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just have to interject that you're way off base on this one. Yes, some people go to look for shows and movies, but that's certainly not what all people do. It's not even what the majority do. If you look at the YouTube videos with the highest views, they're viral sensations. I think you'll find more people are going to YouTube for clips of current shows, amateur news/event footage, videos from friends and family, and YouTube-based channels/shows. The analytics and viewership data just don't hold up to the notion that people go to YouTube just for shows and movies they can't find elsewhere. Like I said, some people go solely/primarily for that reason, but it's a niche market.

That said, AFV still has a viable audience. A lot of people still want content served up for them rather than searching it out. Also, as previously stated, the commentary is a big draw. It's a shrinking market to be sure, but it's still big enough to justify the small budget of AFV. I find myself oddly placed in this target audience despite my not-that-old-yet age. I can find whatever shows/movies/music I want online without much trouble, and do on occasion, but I'd rather watch pre-programmed TV as it airs than even watch from my DVR. I'd also rather listen to a radio station than iTunes. I love the hands-off nature of it. But I know I'm a dying breed, and even find myself more in DVR/Hulu/iTunes than live TV or radio.
I honestly use YT more for watching episodes of stuff and openings to obscure international TV shows. And I do slightly agree that it's easier to have the clips sent to you than to have to look for them. Which is what AFV does best. But then again, the difference lies in this. AFV only really offers people getting hurt, babies and animals doing insufferably cute stuff, and the occasional telling an old woman she's going to be a granny with predictable results. While that stuff's on the internet as well, the best videos are staged, and often exist only due to fair use. Stuff you can't really show on TV unless you can work out all those copyrights.

And while AFV has a nice little place to put their videos, viral videos are usually seen in shows like Ellen and Morning News shows like Today. Virals spread through word of mouth and forwards. While not as convenient as seeing them all on television, they mange to hit much harder than any predictable video used on that show. Though, this will date me, I still remember "I'm HIIIIIIIIIiiiding.... in DA FRONT CLOOOOOOSSSSeeeeeeetttttt." I swear that's where they got the "I'm hiding in the cloooooseeeet... like an IIIIIIIiiiidiot." from Ren and Stimpy.

Still, AFV served it's purpose. If it came back as a series of specials like it did late 90's and early 00's, that would work. But ABC needs a new thing in their 7 PM timeslot. I just don't think the Muppets is really that.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just have to interject that you're way off base on this one. Yes, some people go to look for shows and movies, but that's certainly not what all people do. It's not even what the majority do. If you look at the YouTube videos with the highest views, they're viral sensations.
Yes, but it's all politics when it comes to viral videos on YouTube. Most viral videos go viral because the content owner pays YT to make them viral, either because they're a partner channel, or they're an average joe wanting to get noticed, and when YT's paid, they'll do pretty much whatever you want them to, so they'll start featuring the videos on the homepage, where almost everybody will see them, and most people will look, if only out of curiosity, and yes, a lot of them do grow in genuine popularity, but how well do you think some of those viral videos would do if nobody noticed them at all?

rexcrk

Reaction score
I just watched this for the first time (because I just saw that it was available on Netflix lol). It was... ok. It certainly wasn't a bad special, just kind of awkward and "off". And very obviously a glorified commercial for her Artpop album (which is a good album IMO).

I just wish that the Muppets had more to do in Gaga's numbers so it felt more like they were really part of the special.

Obviously the best parts were the Muppet-centric parts like trying to decide what to do for the finale (especially Pepe massaging Gaga) and the little interviews, especially Gonzo and Rizzo (as a '90s kid, I'm so accustomed to that duo). It was weird that the Electric Mayhem just didn't have much to say, except for some great Zoot jokes. Oh well at least they were on screen.

Kristen Bell was really good on this too, her bit with Bobo was absolutely hysterical.