Phil Robertson "Fired"

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Not to mention, people are still getting married at young ages these days, it just doesn't seem as common as back then, and there are fewer elopings, and more traditional weddings - a majority of the people I knew and grew up with are married now, and they're either my age (24) or younger.

My only concern is the signs of the times... I look back on my parents' time, and how couples were able to raise good-sized families, live in really nice homes, have all the commodoties and amenities they wanted or needed, and all with just the husband working a typical 9 to 5 job... but fast-foward to today, you have both the husband and the wife working, sometimes multiple jobs (and sometimes in the same day), and they just barely managed to scrape by in their tiny, rundown apartments (and again, that's with both of them working).

jvcarroll

Reaction score
A case could be made for anything, I suppose. But marrying at 15 should not be something that's encouraged and Mr. Robertson's characterization of females is atrocious.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ick! Here are some sexist and disturbing remarks he made encouraging guys to marry underage girls. I hadn't seen this particular clip before. A fifteen year old girl is a child. That's apparently not how Mr. Robertson sees it. I hope he was joking. :eek:
Anything this guy says now just underlines how completely backwards, out of touch with reality, and completely UNChristian he really is. Unless this is all part of a backwards mountain folk ruse (which I'm starting to believe) they put on for the TV series. Something's going to surface that he said something so outrageous that hiding behind Freedom of Speech isn't going to save him.

Seriously... his views are skewed. Marrying women when they're teenagers. Forget the 21st century, this guy needs to get to the 20th first.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It's not a ruse when he really did marry his wife when she was 16 and he was 20, lol.

Like I said, I don't approve of marrying someone that young, clearly it's inappropriate. For that matter I'm not sure marrying at 20 is that much better!

But it's also clear society's standards used to be different and I won't condemn everyone over the age of 60 for being stuck in the past. At some point you can't teach an old dog new tricks, you know? I seriously doubt a ton of people are suddenly going to start marrying 16 year olds just on his say so. And if they do, they were probably already disturbed to begin with! :stick_out_tongue:

And I don't mean for it to seem like I'm defending this guy specifically. I just don't like when things devolve into a media witch hunt. It's all our rights that are at stake.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's not a ruse when he really did marry his wife when she was 16 and he was 20, lol.
That's not the ruse I'm talking about. The whole bearded mountain person schtick is clearly for the show. They might not have been the WASPy Yuppies that they clearly looked like in that picture. But I doubt they're the backwoods Heck's Angels types they portray on television.

Like I said, I don't approve of marrying that young, clearly it's inappropriate. It's also clear society's standards used to be different and I won't condemn everyone over the age of 60 for being stuck in the past. At some point you can't teach an old dog new tricks, you know? I seriously doubt a ton of people are suddenly going to start marrying 16 year olds just on his say so.
Unless what he said was a joke, that's some values dissonance for someone born in the modern era. He can't possibly have been born any further back than the 60's. On the one hand, it's only a 4 year difference... on the other hand, he seriously couldn't wait 2 years when she was legal? Yes, it's not the MacCarthy era, and we shouldn't pick apart what the guy says. But then you have this guy marrying a 16 year old girl (sex would be considered statutory, but marriage is okay... sure) and extolling the values of it (which is worse) passing judgement on gays, again, it smacks of this guy being a huge hypocrite.

Anti-Gay, anti-government, marriage based values are standard boilerplate Christian conservative stuff... but his views on women usually come with a stove top pipe hat, a cape, and a twiddly mustache.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yes, it's not the MacCarthy era, and we shouldn't pick apart what the guy says.
No, it isn't and no we shouldn't. And again I'm not defending this guy so much. It's not like I watch the show every day, I really could care less. I just care about the rights of Americans to be able to speak without being terrified the "Death Camp of Tolerance" is going to start banging down their door.

People say stupid, foolish things everyday. We can't be so thin skinned about it. We teach children to watch what they say and punish them when they don't because they are young and still learning. But you can't treat an grown adult like that. If they never learned manners, that's their problem, not yours.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Not to sound like a fangirl here, but I don't consider following South Park foolish. :wink: