Muppet Babies DVD Box Sets

muppetfan16

Reaction score
I think a big reason for it not being available on DVD is rights issues because the show would use video clips of other movies or TV shows in the background all the time as the titular Muppet Babies went on their adventures around the nursery.
I agree completely. It makes me really sad, though, since I had several on tape, and a couple years back, my VCR broke. :sigh::frown:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Disney bought Lucasfilm and Disney own the Muppets. Could this mean it's more likely that Muppet Babies will be released on DVD?

Drtooth

Reaction score
If there was any hold up on video rights, Star Wars would not have been one of them. One of the writers claimed that the video rights have all been paid for, though. But Lucas and Disney have had a great relationship in the past... it's just all of Sony's film rights (Three Stooges Shorts and Ghostbusters to name a couple) were granted when Henson was working with Columbia at the time. That doesn't really help explain what would go on with Roxanne, Family Ties, and various other bits like that.

catherine

Reaction score
I would love to have the boxset but am thinking of having something else for christmas.

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
There actually is not a box set. This is a thread about hoping for a Muppet Babies dvd collection. I agree, it would be nice to have.

Hubert

Reaction score
It would be nice to see happen...I personally have only seen probably 5 or 6 MB episodes ever...a full set would be nice...

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I saw a DVD set on Amazon.com a few months back for like $50. Do you guys think it was real?

mimitchi33

Reaction score
I saw a DVD set on Amazon.com a few months back for like $50. Do you guys think it was real?
No, it was possibly a bootleg. Unlike Garfield and Friends, Animaniacs or Alf, this won't be put on DVD without major butchering due to movie clips being used in the episodes, according to TV Tropes.
Also, I found a Muppet Wiki article about the plush dolls that came with DVDs. I had Miss Piggy when I was little, and I still have the dress she came with. I also remember watching some episodes of Muppet Babies when I was little, even though I'm a 2000's kid.

MBPRODMAN

Reaction score
Haven't been to these boards in a while so the "Muppet Babies" section is new to me, but I don't think we'll be seeing "Muppet Babies" in season sets on DVD anytime soon.

Basically, it comes down to rights issues...They used so many movie and TV clips (as well as the occasional bits of music videos and news footage) that they would be paying practically every studio under the sun for rights to use the clips.

Also, another potential hold-up is the extensive usage of "Star Wars" trilogy clips. Let's bear in mind that Lucas isn't a fan of the older versions (when Han Solo shot first and the like) and if we won't be getting them on DVD, why would we get clips of them in season sets?

My prediction...If it does come to DVD, prepare for heavy-duty editing.

Sincerely,

John "manoftheSTREET" Kilduff
Unless the Henson Company lost the original contracts, there shouldn't be a problem with most of the clips rights on Muppet Babies. Those shows couldn't air without universal rights in perpetuity being signed off in the clip contracts.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then I guess the big problem is Disney being Disney and not wanting to bother getting any TV series season sets get made.