Sesame Street Season 45 Episode 4501 - School for Chickens

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just a reminder that Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday on PBS stations across the country. Check your local times in your area. Find out all the details on Sesame Street Season 45 here.

New "Letter of the Day" and "Number of the Day" segments will debut. Sesame Street also begins it's second season of "Cookie's Crumby Pictures". The popular "Elmo the Musical" returns for it's third season. The street set will also get a makeover with more color. A bicycle repair shop will also debut on the street.

After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

If you've seen Sesame Street Season 45, please like this post and let us know your thoughts on the new episodes.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4501 - School for Chickens
Monday September 15, 2014

Professor Buck Awe (Taran Killam) is setting up a new school for chickens and invites Elmo to stay for the day. Professor Buck Awe tries to teach the chickens when they arrive, but the chickens are just too unruly. With Elmo’s help he teaches the chickens how to listen, raise their hands, and stand patiently in line.

Subject: Self-regulation
Brought to you by: N & 4
Word on the Street: Strenuous – When something is hard work and you need a lot of energy to do it.

If you've seen "School for Chickens" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
There's some format changes you may notice in the episode, aside from the new letter/number songs. The editing on it is a little...bad and sometimes a tad confusing.

cahuenga

Reaction score
I just saw 30 minute episodes from season 45 on PBSkids.com and found out that Frank Oz and Steve Whitmire aren´t on the credits anymore...does it means they didn´t film anything for season 45? although Ernie will be on 2 street secenes...I wonder why they aren´t credited anymore...

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4501: School for Chickens.
Sponsors: N, 4.

Word on the Street: Strenuous.

Street Story:Oh... It's actually Professor Buck's School for Clucks.
Free-range school for chickens... So there's no chicken left behind...
And the chicken puns just keep coming thanks to their school's fight song.
Cooped all day long in, whatever it is cheickens live in...
Finally, the merch opportunity emerges with a blatent chance for them to bring back Chicken Dance Elmo.

Typical schoolclass sheninagans ensue like getting the chickens to pay attention to the teacher, talking in turns instead of all at once, standing in line for snacktime, meh.

Song: "Raise Your Hand Up High", (sounds like a new song instead of a remake of a previously-existing SST song).

Muppets/Celebrity Word of the Day explaining Strenuous, I almost never know who these people are.

Murray Had a Little Lamb: Farm School.

Super Grover 2.0: Cheer School.

Yes, the cheerleaders clearly do have a case of floppy arms.
:stick_out_tongue: Floopy arms? My buddy Bert has floppy arms...
Sorry, entirely different segment. Grover seems equally compitent equally loveably scatterbrained in this sketch, I rather like it.

Try the cheer again... Brickabracka firecracker sis boom bah, Bugs Bunny Bugs Bunny rah rah rah!

Letter of the Day: Answering a question from the Coming Soon thread, yes, the dancing-clapping bit with the SST Muppets will be the standard intro, just got it today for the letter N.

Animation: The N Museum.

Animation/Film: N for nightinggale.

Muppets: Murray at farming school taking care of animals.

Cute moment with Ovejita trying to speak to the animals in Spanish, Murray telling her they don't speak her language.

Abby's Flying Fairy School: Clean-Up Time.

Okay, it's a repeat of the episode with the fairy dust bunnies.

Number of the Day: :batty: leads another dancing-stomping bit this time to find the number of the day, in today's case 4. The only interesting twist is how they apply this to Thursday's episode, Numeric Con, where the number will be 0.

Animation/Film: Counting 4 Chickens.

Muppets: Birdwalk Empire.

Muppets: Murray learns how to plant crops at farming school.

Elmo the Musical: Bird the Musical.

Other Observations.

It seems Sesame Street likes the number 4 for their season premieres, this is like the fourth season I can think of to feature it as their numeric sponsor.
This episode was the first time hearing Ryan Dyllan's Elmo, and I liked how he's taken over for Kevin.

I really like the fact that they did away with the Murray/kid intro tune-ins, the show flows much better this way. But by the same token I'm not impressed in the least with their dance/clap/stomping Letter and Number of the Day intros. Cookie's Letter Games and the Count's Organ were much better than this.

Will wait till at least Friday to see if they show a better handling of the main between-show segments like Super Grover 2.0 and Cookie's Crummy Pictures.

Good start, a highly pun-filled premiere.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's some format changes you may notice in the episode, aside from the new letter/number songs. The editing on it is a little...bad and sometimes a tad confusing.
My only real problem was the really bad edited in Murray bits added to the Murray had a Little Lamb segment. Other than that, I rather liked the flow with an obvious exception.

That exception is, I really hate the fact they kept Abby's Flying School back on the show considering that they've got their money back and then some with the endless reruns of the cartoon on "new" episodes alone. We had a whole season with no new segments. Time to put this one behind them with Journey to Ernie and Global Grover. There's better stuff to put in that 9 minute slot. Whatever happened to the Super Healthy Monsters segment?

As for the show itself....

The opening episode was cute. It served its purpose of being another self regulation lesson. It didn't seem as funny as it should have been. Taran's usually a bigger ham on SNL, he seemed reserved here. The humor just came out of chicken puns and Chris lampshade Hanging how short the class was.

It's refreshing to finally see a new SG 2.0. Anyone think the "floppy arm" thing was an inside joke? Wasn't this the one where that CBS this Morning contributor assisted in the performance of the elephant? Liked the call back to the wedge of cheese, even if unintentional.

And I am mixed about the dance number segments. They seem a bit long, and I kind of liked the Murray intros. The Number one seems more interesting than the letter one. Biased, cuz its the Count.

Other than that, disappointing to see they haven't done anything in show either with the 45th anniversary. Didn't even bother to change the theme song either.

JonnyBMuppetMan

Reaction score
I just saw 30 minute episodes from season 45 on PBSkids.com and found out that Frank Oz and Steve Whitmire aren´t on the credits anymore...does it means they didn´t film anything for season 45? although Ernie will be on 2 street secenes...I wonder why they aren´t credited anymore...
Frank Oz hasn't filmed any new material since 2011, so I guess I can see why he's not credited this season (although they used one of his performances for this episode, so whatever). However, Ernie features in two street stories and while Whitmire isn't listed in the credits, Billy Barkhurst (who previously voiced Ernie in a few stage shows) is.

... Yeah, I'm not jumping to any conclusions, but I guess we'll see why tomorrow =/

Last edited:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
My only real problem was the really bad edited in Murray bits added to the Murray had a Little Lamb segment. Other than that, I rather liked the flow with an obvious exception.
Yeah, that was the main-bad-thing.