Your dream 2011 Muppet Promotions

DTWolf

Reaction score
Movie Soundtrack CDs

First, I like a lot of the ideas I've been reading in this thread, particularly the release of Muppet Show Season 4 (naturally) and new action figures. I loved the Palisades figures and would buy new characters in that scale, but really I'd prefer smaller figures. In any case, get them out there before the movie hits!

Second, my own idea:
I know CDs are a dying format, but some of us old-timers still like them. And HOW long have I been looking for the CD soundtrack for the first Muppet movie? Why not put out a box set with the CD soundtracks for The Muppet Movie, Great Muppet Caper, Muppets Take Manhattan*, at least, and maybe some of the more modern movies as well? (Has there EVER been a soundtrack CD of GMC?) Get that box out there a month before the movie opens and remind everyone how great some of the old movies were!

And, hey, movie soundtracks can be released before the movie opens, so add in the new movie as well!

*Or does somebody else have the rights to MTM?

dwmckim

Reaction score
For what it's worth, i love (and prefer) cds (and dvds) too.

rowlfy662

Reaction score
i really hope disney air the muppet show the movies on the week the film is coming out and have the muppet appear on leno and others and a muppet video game would be nice i want muppets on the wii :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
First, I like a lot of the ideas I've been reading in this thread, particularly the release of Muppet Show Season 4 (naturally) and new action figures. I loved the Palisades figures and would buy new characters in that scale, but really I'd prefer smaller figures. In any case, get them out there before the movie hits!
I'd tend to think anything similar to Palisades is not just out of the question, but impossible in the toy market. Though, the only toys I ever see are of movies, so the Muppets may get a shot there. I just wanna see a decent product, even if it's a PVC collection of the commonest characters they usually make (the Kermit/Piggy/Animal/Fozzie/Gonzo crowd). I really would love to see a smaller Fisher Price scale line (due in part to the fact anything imitating Palisades is just that... an imitation) if possible... as long as they don't have Star Wars figure prices (no way should those dinky things go for that much, no matter what excuse they throw around).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This idea was posted at the muppet mindset http://themuppetmindset.blogspot.com/2011/01/product-idea-muppet-rock-band.html and it sounds like a good idea to me, even though I've rarely played any of the Rock Band/ Guitar Hero-type games.

I wonder how long it typically takes to produce a video game. Quite a few of us have been suggesting/requeting video games, and I wonder if it's too soon between when the thread was started and when the movie comes out for Disney to develop any Muppet games based on our wishes (at least when it comes to good quality).

beaker

Reaction score
For what it's worth, i love (and prefer) cds (and dvds) too.
Same here. While so much is on virtual media(on demand, netflix/streaming, digital files, etc) or on new media(blu ray); Im still kind of stuck in the 90's with some things. Its really more of a collector thing. Like I bought the Scott Pilgrim dvd, but downloaded the blu ray version to watch, and just keep the dvd mint for my collection. Same with cds, I'll rip the cd to my computer and keep the cd as a collector item. It's just nice to have something tangible. Like everyone on here I have the "uncut" MFC movie on dvdr, but I also have the 2001 official dvd release too.

beaker

Reaction score
I'd tend to think anything similar to Palisades is not just out of the question, but impossible in the toy market. Though, the only toys I ever see are of movies, so the Muppets may get a shot there. I just wanna see a decent product, even if it's a PVC collection of the commonest characters they usually make (the Kermit/Piggy/Animal/Fozzie/Gonzo crowd). I really would love to see a smaller Fisher Price scale line (due in part to the fact anything imitating Palisades is just that... an imitation) if possible... as long as they don't have Star Wars figure prices (no way should those dinky things go for that much, no matter what excuse they throw around).
What's the usual protocol for Disney live action movies? I guess the closest is "G-Force", but its prime characters were cgi. Usually we get figures for most of Disneys movies. But where does The Muppets fit? Pirates of the Carribean and Sorcerer's Apprentice fit in their live action brand...Tangled and Cars with cgi brand...Princess and Frog in their 2d brand. G-Force in the live action with cgi characters. But the Muppets, being a musical comedy adventure, who nows what merchandising angle they'll go with...given the characters are iconic, we'll be seeing lots of merch no doubt.

But here's the catch: Notice we didn't see much Tangled merchandise? That was Disney's tentpole family film for 2010's second half(Tron was more their wider audience release) Yet I saw no merch, no toys, or anything. To contrast, Toy Story 3 probably had the most toys released Ive ever seen for a Disney movie...to the point of sickening over saturation.

By Toy Fair in february, I think we'll get more of a better idea.
But yeah, smaller figures in the old Fisher Price scale, or even the Phineas and Ferb scale would rock. We'll probably see lots of figurines or even the "buddy" 2-packs that every brand from star wars to wrestling is doing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But here's the catch: Notice we didn't see much Tangled merchandise? That was Disney's tentpole family film for 2010's second half(Tron was more their wider audience release) Yet I saw no merch, no toys, or anything. To contrast, Toy Story 3 probably had the most toys released Ive ever seen for a Disney movie...to the point of sickening over saturation.
There IS Tangled stuff, you're just not looking where it obviously goes... right into the doll section. After all, she is one of the Princesses, and the character will no doubt be aded to the roster same way that the one from princess and ther Frog was. I haven't seen figure sets, though I did see a lot of dolls and her pet chameleon plushies... though, not even a third of what Toy Story got.

DTWolf

Reaction score
Muppets Invasion

The other night I was being so greedy for merchandise that I forgot to add my support for what's probably the most effective idea in the thread (as far as motivating people to go see the movie): Muppets invading talk shows.

Throughout the coming year (not just bunched up in the month or two before the theatrical release) they need to be popping up on TV shows to remind people that the Muppets are still here, they're still great, they're still unpredictable.

My suggestions:
I'd love to see Miss Piggy on Ellen.

Jimmy Fallon reminds me a lot of Fozzie, so it would be wonderful to see Statler and Waldorf heckling Jimmy during the opening monologue. And not just once—have them show up to give him a hard time several times in the months leading up to the movie release.

If Kermit could host the Tonight Show in Johnny Carson's day, why couldn't he or someone else guest-host a talk show this year? Gonzo might be my first choice, with Rizzo as sidekick.

Now here's a long shot: contact Paul Solman of the PBS NewsHour and ask if the Muppets could be helpful in one of his "Making Sense of the Economy" segments. While he's never done anything as wild as Muppet guests, his segments often take a playful, humorous approach to explaining financial matters in easy-to-understand ways. You never know, maybe he'd love the idea. (Yes, I thought of this because of the old "Bull Market/Bear Market" bit the Muppets did with Ted Koppel way back when.)