your 2006 henson dvd predictions

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, then I think it would be more appropiate to say that I am predicting a lot for one year, not asking.

At the time that I wrote this, Brian Henson didn't say that Muppets Tonight! would most likely be released on DVD after every season of The Muppet Show. He said it in an interview a few months later, but not at the time, and I don't see why they should wait. After all, Muppets Tonight is a seperate series, not a season 6 (or season 7, if you count The Jim Henson Hour as season 6).

Luke

Reaction score
Oh i didn't see you wrote that originally back in June. The reason why they'll wait for Muppets Tonight is a) they'll want to see how well TMS sells on DVD before committing to anything else and b) they won't wanna overload the market with Muppet DVD's because if they did that peoples wallets and interests would only stretch so far and stuff wouldn't sell so well.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In a way, I agree with some of Lukes points, but then I also don't.

It might be good to not release too many Muppet DVDs at once, but it would also be good to release more than just a season set and possibly other things that might be expected (like a movie re-release or a release of a christmas special). I'm not saying that Disney should have Muppet releases like when Disney ahd the video rights in 1993 and several muppet videos were released at once. But I do think it would be good if we got plenty in one year, maybe one or two every few months.

It would be great if Disney would release stuff that casual fans probably wouldn't have thought to ask for, like some specials. It's okay if Disney wants to release a special on DVD in a one disc set with no other specials included.

Also, my list included predictions for releases from a few different companies, so there could be several releases in one year without them all being from the same company. Disney could release some, Hit! could release some, and Sony Wonder could release some sesame Street content. Every year Sony Wonder releases quite a few Sesame Street DVDs, including DVD releases of older specials that have been released on video, specials or even episodes of the show that haven't been previously availible on video, all new video productions, and Elmo's World segments.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
what's been correct

Well, so far, I've correctly guessed that there would be three new Sesame Street DVDs (the two Sesame Beginnings DVDs and Guess That Color and Shape would be those). The upcomming Nostalgia Box Set would make the count of new releases four. There has also been at least one new Elmo's World release. I have no idea if there have been/ will be any more. I have not heard any news yet of there being any DVD releases of previous video releases.

I am not sure how correct I am regarding the Bear in the Big Blue House DVD releases.

And finally, there has only been one single-disc Fraggle Rock reelase this year, with no more being announced, but season 2 has been announced for later this year. The Muppet Show: Season 2 hasn't even had an official date announced, and it has been rumored to be released in 2007 instead of 2006.

Well, there's still half a year left. I predicted some of the movies to be re-released this year, but then they were all annoucned for last year shortly after I made my predictions.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
At this point, I think it's safe to assume that there won't be any unannounced DVD releases comming out this year that we didn't already know about. @!#%$##

I am surprised by a few things. For example, I predicted that we'd have four DVD releases of previously-released SS videos, and this was the first year since Sesame Street DVDs started being made that Sesame Workshop didn't release any videos on DVD. I don't know what the deal was. I hope that the Old School set didn't discourage Sesame Workshop from releasing these on DVD (though I am happier with the Old School set). It would be good for all Sesame Street videos to be released on DVD.

Well, I guess I'll start another prediction thread for next year very, very, very, very, very, very soon.