You Know What I'd Like to See?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Back in the 1990s and 2000s, various different older animation companies, such as Hanna-Barbera, Jay Ward Productions, Warner Bros, etc. released these CD collections of the various different, yet memorable sound effects, music cues, buttons, and such that they would use frequently in their cartoons.

Wouldn't it be great if Sesame Workshop could released a similar CD collection of all the sound effects and music cues that they've used over the years? I'd especially love to hear clean recordings of those quirk little music buttons we all know and love from classic Muppet inserts without any dialogue or other sounds interrupting them.

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
That might be pretty cool! Wonder if we could make a list of what that might include. How about that little music piece that plays after the Banana in My Ear sketch? Did that used to play on several other SS Bert & Ernie sketches too?

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
That's fine. :smile: Love your idea. I'm thinking a red or purple shirt with cartoon versions of all the characters and Big Bird in the center. It's sort of based off of something I saw in the November 2004 issue of SS Magazine; I'm not sure if I'll find a picture of it or not here on the web, but if you have the magazine, then it's the very last page.
Of course, actual photos of the characters might look cool as well. But whatever it looks like, my vote is for Big Bird to be in the center of the action with Elmo featured almost as prominently.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I really like that wacky chase music that plays whenever segments end with some kind of chase or conflict, like the "Kermit: Casting Director", "Cavemen Invent Paper" and, I think, "Ernie Cleans the Apartment: Part 2" (though that last one isn't really a chase).

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's a couple that I really like: one was used during the early-to-mid 70s at the end of various sketches, such as Kermit and Grover demonstrating short and long, Ernie surprising Bert for his birthday, the Little Miss Muffet sketch where the actor playing the spider kept getting his costume wrong... the other was used in the early 90s for both inserts and street scenes, the twiddling little tune like at the end of Robin Williams's stick bit with Elmo.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
That's fine. :smile: Love your idea. I'm thinking a red or purple shirt with cartoon versions of all the characters and Big Bird in the center. It's sort of based off of something I saw in the November 2004 issue of SS Magazine; I'm not sure if I'll find a picture of it or not here on the web, but if you have the magazine, then it's the very last page.
Of course, actual photos of the characters might look cool as well. But whatever it looks like, my vote is for Big Bird to be in the center of the action with Elmo featured almost as prominently.
Alright, that's a pretty great way to go about it. Thanks for contributing!

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
There's a couple that I really like: one was used during the early-to-mid 70s at the end of various sketches, such as Kermit and Grover demonstrating short and long, Ernie surprising Bert for his birthday, the Little Miss Muffet sketch where the actor playing the spider kept getting his costume wrong... the other was used in the early 90s for both inserts and street scenes, the twiddling little tune like at the end of Robin Williams's stick bit with Elmo.
I don't know if I've heard any of those except for the Robin Williams one. I've gotta go find that one on Youtube again. What if we were to start making an official list that we edited, and include sound bites on this thread? I'd like to hear all the different ones that you've mentioned.

cjd874

Reaction score
I can think of a couple at the end of several skits on the Old School Sets:
  • Old School Volume 1: at the end of the Waiter Grover skit in episode 406 (soup and spoons), there is a funny musical ending.
  • OSV1: Bert and Ernie: Counting Sheep, Fire Engines, and Balloons
  • OSV1: Ernie decorates the apartment for a special person
  • OSV1: The Great Cookie Thief
  • Old School Volume 2: Episode 1186 when Maria brushes Herry's fur and then Herry tries to brush someone else's hair...only problem is, Gordon (Roscoe Orman) is the only one around

And I agree, D'Snowth...sound effects should be included!
I think that SS has the best sound effects of any show. Period.
There was Bobbie Wood and Terry Ross in the 1970s, and Dick Maitland has been on SS as a Foley artist/sound engineer since the late 1970s. From breaking pianos and wind chimes for flashback sequences, to the Count's thunder and "BOING" sound effects when someone is surprised, SS has always used sound effects and music cues to great comical effect.
This would be a great idea, but finding all the sound effects from 43 of production would require a lot of work on SS's behalf.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know what I want to see? An "Animators of Sesame Street" DVD collection with as many of the animators/studios being represented as possible. Especially if they can call some back to do commentary on them.