writing for a puppet show

muppetfan89

Reaction score
how do I go about writing a puppet show that's aimed at both kids and adults? I'm having a lot of trouble, I keep going kiddie and I can't seem to find the right material that adults could enjoy as well. I'm asking anyone here to write something for, I just want some advice. Thanks in advance!

mrhogg

Reaction score
This may not be applicable, but if I were making an all-ages show, I'd either make the framework kid-friendly (as in, making with the kid logic), and make the jokes more adult-friendly, or go the other way around.

I always remember an episode of the Simpsons I watched with my nephew a few years ago. Bart and Lisa got lost on a field trip, and Milhouse is named the proxy Bart. When the kids find their way home, and Milhouse realizes he can't be Bart anymore, he says "Ay Carumba!" I laughed because of the references to the one-time Bart catchphrase, and all of the other jokes layed in there. My nephew, who was eight or so at the time, laughed, too, but it was because he thought the catchphrase itself was funny.

I also imagine that if you put in the adult-level dialogue -- not "adult," but sophisticated and intelligent -- the adults will respect it, and find the humor in it that you want, and kids will feel like they're being talked to honestly. I'm sure that when you were a child you liked seeing the precocious kids on screen, the ones you imagined you and your friends were like, rather than the shows that talked down to you. Kids are much more interested, as far as I'm aware, in content meant for a couple years above their age, rather than content meant for their age.

Don't know if that would help at all, but hopefully it does.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
I'm with MrHogg, however with a less intellectual approach.

How I do it:
Write for myself--I happen to be a grown-up. If I find something funny, chances are other grown-ups might as well. If grown-ups are laughing, children will laugh because they're still learning, socially, when things are funny. (This is all personal theory, feel free to either debunk or elaborate on it.)

If you really want to you can throw in a few easy-laugh stand-by's--sight gags, people falling down (oh wow, people falling down is HILARIOUS if you're 5), the "where did he go?" bit (He's BEHIND you! BEHIIIIIND you!) and the ever popular saying of the word "underpants."

In general I write for me. Above all tell a good story. Tell it well. People will appreciate that more than anything.

mrhogg

Reaction score
Yeah, I suppose it really depends on how young the kids you want to appeal to are.

Also fart jokes work with a surprisingly large number of children AND adults.

Redsonga

Reaction score
I still love the falling down joke and I am twenty-five. Something about the joke just makes the puppets all the more real to me..I have no idea why but the Dododo..ACK! thingie still gets me every time :3.

staceyrebecca

Reaction score
If you're doing the show live, don't forget to stomp your foot on the stage (or kick a box if its not loud enough) about when your puppet would hit the floor. Man..noisy falling is amazingly wonderful.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I think it all depends on your sense of humor. My mom claims I have a dry sense of humor, which I'd have to agree with, seeing as though the jokes I make fly right over the heads of my friends, but the adults get 'em.

muppetfan89

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses. Could someone tell me if this is good? In my last show, I was meant to perform for pre-school kids. My show consisted of a nerdy character who meets a genie, so I knew I had a good kid story and jokes. I also tried to include some adult-friendly jokes, for the adults who were watching the kids. For example, the nerdy character says he wishes his social was better. Then the genie comes and explains that he can grant wishes. So, the nerdy kid gets so excited about it, that he forgets about his and starts thinking of things he enjoys, to wish for. Finally, the genie gets so mad at him becuase already said what he wanted and he's tryingn to tell him that, but the nerdy character keeps saying more stuff he wants. So, the genie has finally had it and yells at him telling him what he said eariler. So, the nerdy character says, "Alright, you don't have to shout, just tell me next time." The genie gets fustrated.

Anyway, the adults laughed at this joke right away, but the kids laughed after a couple seconds. So, is this the right way to do it?