1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Who's voicing Ernie here?

Discussion in 'Sesame Worlds' started by antsamthompson9, Oct 24, 2012.

1. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I found this video of a show at Sea World: . Does anyone know who did Ernie's voice for it? It sounds nothing like Steve or John.
  2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Artie maybe?

I dunno... to my ears, it DOES sound like Steve in some parts, but at other times, it sounds similar to Artie's Kermit, so I'm not sure.
  3. antsamthompson9

You have a point. Muppet Wiki says the show premiered in 2009, the year Artie preformed Kermit a couple times. Maybe we can get confirmation from Artie if he did it.
  4. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

That's definately Artie guys.
  5. D'Snowth

Well then, again, all I can say is that Artie REALLY does NOT deserve the flack he's been getting. I mean, we gave Steve a chance when we lost Jim, and he's managed to keep Kermit and Ernie alive all these years... Steve Whitmire isn't Jim Henson, but that doesn't mean he's better, or worse, just different. Likewise, Artie Esposito isn't Steve Whitmire, and he isn't better or worse, just different, and personally, I think he does a pretty good job at Kermit and Ernie; Kermit has a really unique voice, because his rather close to Jim's natural voice (I know what that's like, I have to be really conscious while performing Steve D'Monster since his voice is close to my own as well), and it's not an easy task to try to replicate that, and considering that Kermit IS the center of the Muppet universe, those are some REALLY big shoes to fill, so it's probably harrowing enough just trying to perform Kermit without people bashing you and telling you you did a terrible job.

Again, I think Artie does just fine, in fact, I think his Kermit actually sounds pretty similar to Jim's in a way, so I don't see what people's issue is, if it's simply because he's not Steve, without even remembering that Steve was not Jim either.
    Plaid Fraggle, Drtooth and Mo Frackle like this.
  6. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I agree. :)
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I think the main reason he got flack was because it was totally unexpected. Like literally, out of the blue and for no real reason. We were expecting Steve and when we got Artie instead, of course we reacted badly. Though to be fair, we were more concerned with what happened to Steve.
  8. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

In some cases people who liked him were told they must not want the Muppets to be good, lol. :confused: (Not you Oscarfan, just in general, hehe).
  9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

It was the other shoe waiting to drop that bugged us. Nothing was happening with Steve that we know of, and it was just those two times. But let's just say Steve's not going to be around forever, so I guess they were trying with a back up just in case. Other than the fact it caught us off guard, I agree there was no call to give someone who's life long dream was to work for the Muppets flack for fulfilling it.

I think more of us were annoyed by Disney at that point. We thought they were doing something underhanded.
  10. MWoO

MWoO Active Member

If this is Artie doing Ernie's voice then he's pretty good. At least the voice is good. My main issue with Artie's Kermit was the puppetry and Kermit's singing voice. Steve has made Kermit into a rather good singer. Jim could carry a tune but not to the extent Steve can. Artie was not that great, though to be fair the song wasn't either. It's possible with work Artie could one day take over for Steve and if he does I hope Steve is involved in the transfer to help guide and coach him. I still think of Steve as the kid of the group but he's 53. In a few years it will be time to start looking for an understudy.
  11. MrTheFrog

MrTheFrog Member

It's always odd to be browsing MC and find my name come up in a thread I'm reading :) Just to dispel any rumors, nope, this is not me. Chances are it was a voice over artist, and not a puppeteer. If you're interested in hearing my Ernie voice it's on my website: http://artworkbyartie.weebly.com/voices.html.
    SSLFan, DrDientes and Mo Frackle like this.
  12. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Glad to hear from your Artie!
  13. D'Snowth

So you're really Artie? I had no idea, it's nice knowing that actual Muppeteers mingle in with the rest of us Muppet Freaks on MC from time to time. :D
  14. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if it was John Tartaglia. He was the alternate Ernie in Play with me Sesame. The sound's a little too muffled to confirm if it's him or not.
  15. antsamthompson9

It sounds nothing like John.
  16. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for clarifying Artie! Sorry for this misconception.

Only thing now is if it wasn't you voicing him here, who was? Hmmm..
  17. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Maybe John Kennedy? I know he performed Kermit in most of "Muppets Ahoy!" Maybe he also filled in for Steve's Ernie for a few things like this?
  18. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

I just thought I'd put in my two cents here before they close this thread (I know that happens often when we get to talking about this). I see what you mean and I never really bashed Artie. As sad as it is to think about us someday Steve may no longer be with us and Artie will take over as :) and maybe :p as well, but hopefully that won't be for a long time. We all know that Steve is the official performer of these characters and hopefully will continue with them for as long as he is able. (Recall 'One Muppet, one voice.') I just feel that Jim is the heart of Kermit while Steve is the soul. Correct me if I got that backwards.

Wow! Artie actually posted here. I started this post before I read his. Anyway, Artie it's good to hear from you and we hope you didn't take offense at anything we said. I'll check out your site when I get a chance.
  19. antsamthompson9

I figured it out. Another member says he found out Billy Barkhurst voiced Ernie for Can't Stop Singing. I found audio for that here: . It sounds just like Ernie sounds here. So it's Billy Barkhurst!
  20. antsamthompson9

Here's the full show: . What do you guys think? Is it Billy?