Who owns the rights to what?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Dantecat said:
(1)What year was the adventures of Super Grover?
(2)How long is it?
(3)How is it?
(4)What channel did it first just air on?
(5)What Super Grover skits are on there and what year were they?

5 questions please because this special seems to be really really really interesting!
Back in 1987 Grover, the loveable muppet from Sesame Street has his very own animated TV special. In the special we see the origins of Super Grover. Grover's mommy makes him a superhero costume for Halloween and as soon as he put's it on, he becomes a superhero. Smarter than a speeding bullet. More furrier than a fast locomotive. Able to eat tall sandwiches in a single bound! Grover then uses these new powers in many amazing adventures.

My favorite of the adventures is the one where, Super Grover tried to saved Prairie Dawn from some "wild bears". It turns out she was doing a play of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" (the bears were played by Bert, Ernie and Herry). But Grover didn't know it was a play. There were other adventures Grover encounted and wuicky changed into Super Grover and tried to save the day - from a friend's "run away" sled, to a leaking boat on a fishing trip.

The special featured the voice talent of the actual Muppeteers and Sesame Street stars (including Frank Oz as Grover). This is such great and a memorable cartoon! If you can find it, I recommend taking a look at it - but sadly it is hard to come by these days (so happy hunting)!

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
Are you kidding me? I had no idea they were that splintered. I greatly appreciate the list, albeit depressing.
Yeah, that episode is in a sticky situation. The segments talking about Fraggle Rock, DogCity, Monster Maker, or The Song of the Cloud Forest - that's all Henson's.....but the parts about MuppetCentral/Intertube, the Muppet Show, the Muppet movies, and the Muppets - that's all Disney's

:stick_out_tongue:

Also a few corrections/additions to the listing:
** Correction: "The Street We Live On: A Celebration of 30 Years" should read "The Street We Live On: A Celebration of 35 Years"; that was a typo on my part.

**Addition: "The Jim Henson Hour ("The Song of the Cloud Forest" mini-movie)" should be added to "The Jim Henson Family Showcase"; some how I forgot about this segment and it was left off the listing.

If you have questions about any productions not listed let me know, and I'll track down the owners.

Gonzo's Goof

Reaction score
Thanks for the list I too was wondering where everything was. Didn't Henson also have the creature shop and all? Do you know how some of the actual places got broke up?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Gonzo's Goof said:
Thanks for the list I too was wondering where everything was. Didn't Henson also have the creature shop and all? Do you know how some of the actual places got broke up?
The creature shop is all still Henson's. Disney did not get any of that. Infact the puppets themselves are still made, maintained, stored by Henson for Sesame and Disney. The buildings, shops, studios, equiptments, ect. that Henson owned, Henson kept. When Sesame broke off the Sesame sets/studio/offices were transfered to Sesame Workshop. But Disney did not get anything like that. The physical properties pretty much were unchanged in that term. The deal with disney was more for rights and ownership of characters rather than ownership of properties.

pppapazo

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Muppet Film & Television Library
Owned by: The Muppet Holding Company (a division of The Walt Disney Company)

Television Series
Little Muppet Monsters
Do you know if Disney purchased the unaired episodes of Little Muppet Monsters?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
pppapazo said:
Do you know if Disney purchased the unaired episodes of Little Muppet Monsters?
They are part of the Muppet Television library which Disney bought. The bought the show, unaired episodes and any production material would be included. When they got the show they got everything that goes with it (name, characters, music, episodes, ect). When they got the show the unaired episodes were included.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
Back in 1987 Grover, the loveable muppet from Sesame Street has his very own animated TV special. In the special we see the origins of Super Grover. Grover's mommy makes him a superhero costume for Halloween and as soon as he put's it on, he becomes a superhero. Smarter than a speeding bullet. More furrier than a fast locomotive. Able to eat tall sandwiches in a single bound! Grover then uses these new powers in many amazing adventures.

My favorite of the adventures is the one where, Super Grover tried to saved Prairie Dawn from some "wild bears". It turns out she was doing a play of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" (the bears were played by Bert, Ernie and Herry). But Grover didn't know it was a play. There were other adventures Grover encounted and wuicky changed into Super Grover and tried to save the day - from a friend's "run away" sled, to a leaking boat on a fishing trip.

The special featured the voice talent of the actual Muppeteers and Sesame Street stars (including Frank Oz as Grover). This is such great and a memorable cartoon! If you can find it, I recommend taking a look at it - but sadly it is hard to come by these days (so happy hunting)!
I've got it; it's a part of a video called "Five Sesame Street Stories", where Golden Books made a video version of some of their Sesame books. On this tape, four stories (the ones GelflingWaldo mentioned) are there, but there are only a few animated portions (sort of what "Reading Rainbow" does). The only Muppeteers who lent their voices for the stories were Frank Oz, Fran Brill, and Caroll Spinney. A few other voices were done by voice actors.

There are two videos:

Three Sesame Street Stories
Inclucing:
Everyone Makes Mistakes
The City Worm and the Country Worm
Wanted: The Great Cookie Thief

Five Sesame Street Stories
Including:
The Adventures of Super Grover (the four stories)
Big Bird Brings Spring to Sesame Street

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Great job, GelflingWaldo! Just one thing, why is Labyrinth under the Henson Family Showcase, and not the fantasy library?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Why is Labyrinth under the Henson Family Showcase, and not the fantasy library?
Whoops. Why didn't I catch that? I wonder what I was thinking.

So, another correction to the listing:
** Correction: "Labyrinth" and "Inside the Labyrinth" should be in the Jim Henson Sci-Fi & Fantasy Library; they are NOT part of the Henson Family Showcase - at was a stupid mistake I made and did not catch when posting.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Also just in case anyone else is wondering...to go along with the listing of who owns what, here is a list of how to contact the people who own the stuff you love...

--

Muppet Holding Company
Mailing Address:
The Muppet Holding Company
1201 Grand Central Avenue
Glendale, CA 91201

www.muppets.com
Phone:
818.549.2018 (The Muppet Holding Company Office)
818.560-1000 (Disney Customer Service)
E-mails:
debbie.mcellan@disney.com (The Muppet Press Center)
customerservice@disney.com (Disney Customer Service)

--

Jim Henson Company
Mailing Addresses:
The Jim Henson Company
1416 North La Brea Avenue
Hollywood, CA 90028

The Jim Henson Company
30 Oval Road
Camden, London NW1 7DE

www.henson.com
Phone:
323.802.1500 (Company Headquarters)
212.794.2400 (Alternate Offices)
E-mail:
Use form at http://www.henson.com/company/fanform.html

--

HIT! Entertainment
Mailing Addresses:
HIT Entertainment
PO BOX 9000
Allen TX, 75002

HIT Entertainment
1133 Broadway
Suite 1520
New York, NY 10010

HIT Entertainment
830 South Greenville Avenue
Allen, TX 75002

www.hitentertainment.com
Phone:
1-866-405-7625 (Customer Service)
1-212-463-9623 (New York Offices)
1-972-390-6000 (Texas Offices)
E-mail:
consumerservices@hitentertainment (Customer Service)
simon.pearce@hitentertainment.com (Company Secretary)
sforrest@hitentertainment.com (Corporate Communications)

--

Sesame Workshop
Mailing Address:
Sesame Workshop
1 Lincoln Plaza, 2nd Floor
New York, NY 10023

www.sesameworkshop.org
Phone:
(212) 595-3456
E-mail:
Use form at http://www.sesameworkshop.org/aboutus/inside_contact.php

--