What's going on with Farscape?

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Hey, all, sorry I've been gone so long. I hope to be back on a more permanent basis soon. But for now, I have a couple of questions that have been bugging me.

I missed the crucial second episode of the season by accident. Can someone please explain how John was reunited with Jool and Noranti, but not Pilot or Moya, when they were all on the ship together when Moya got sucked into the wormhole?? For that matter, how did Scorpius come back from the dead? (Not just in "Promises" -- I know they haven't explained that yet. But at the end of Season 3, he once again appeared to be on a base that got blown up while he was still there. Did they ever explain this?)

Another question. In "Promises," why was everyone so mad at Scorpius and anxious to kill him? They seemed to be mad at him for something he'd just done recently. But if anything, it should be the other way around. John and company used Scorpius to get their hands on wormhole technology, and gave him nothing in return. Granted, Scorpius' motives were evil. But by the end, Scorpius was a broken shell of a person, because John had destroyed his last chance of being able to defeat the Scarrans. After all that, Scorpius saves Aeryn's life. So why on earth was everyone coming at Scorpius, guns blazing?

Scorpius has done a lot of nasty posturing, and yes, he has tortured John in the Aurora Chair and kidnapped D'Argo's son at one point. But what the Moya crew has done to him on multiple occasions seems to far outweigh what he's done to them. Scorpius has some extremely compelling reasons for wanting to stop the Scarrans. His evil is largely one of revenge out of hand, like Captain Ahab in "Moby Dick." Not excusable, but far more sympathetic than he's usually given credit for.

So again, I must ask: why was the Moya crew so mad at Scorpy, other than the plot convenience of them not trusting him when he's actually done something good? Was there something I missed in an episode? Or is this more of a philosophical question than anything else?

Sorry for the long and rambling post. I hope someone's able to make sense of out of it. D.W., et al, looking forward to your insights!

Thanks,

dwmckim

Reaction score
In the second episode, John had gone to a planet that Jool had mentioned to him before the crew got seperated that she wanted to go to in hopes of finding someone. D'Argo, Jool, and Noranti were there.

The kicker is a lot of your other questions still haven't been explained. When John asked Jool about what had happened to them, she told him to ask Noranti. Noranti's answer was that Pilot knows what happened. Now it seems that Pilot doesn't remember (or didn't want to say anything at the time)

They're really playing the mystery card this season with a lot of things to be explained later. I have a feeling that the "what happened to Moya at end of "Dog w/ 2 Bones" will be a mar part of most of season 4. How Scorpus survived the grave incident was not yet explained though they will probably be getting around to revealing that later. However it looks like they aren't oing to answer how he survived the collapsing command carrier at end of thrid season...apparently they made it to one of the escape pods but still the writers tend to get lazy about filling in these details (they never expalined how Scorpy/Braca survived the attackon the Shadow Depository at the end of season 2!)

As per crew's reaction to Scorpy in Promises, i would chalk it up to a mixture of general mistrust of him given their histories and also their not knowing at the time if he really helped or hurt Aeryn.

doctort13

Reaction score
I "need" ADV Films to put more than 2 Farscape episodes per DVD! Even a season boxset (like many other Sci Fi shows have done) would be c-o-o-l.

Then I need to buy the DVDs!:big_grin:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Thanks, D.W.! So long as I didn't miss anything important. I don't mind a certain element of mystery; what I don't like is when they never bother to explain anything, a la X-Files.

DrT13: I agree. Every other respectable genre show out there is getting the full season treatment. Farscape's discs are pretty pathetic by comparison. What, do they not WANT our money? (Perhaps it's the Henson DVD curse...)

beaker

Reaction score
Chilly!

Hey Tom! We missed you on here! Good to see ya back!

Anyways, so much farscape goodness. Finally at the local video store they carry a lot of the dvds. And the monthly farscape
magazine is available everywhere. Theres even a video game coming out I read. So what is the newish season like?
I dont have cable so all I know is from the dvd.

I know this has been asked, but why has 'jim henson's signature been taken off the top of the farscape logo on all the products?(like the magazine, shrits, etc)
What, sci fi buffs will think its 'Muppets From Space'?

Btw DW, are you going to farscape con? Didnt ya say there will soon be 3? east, west, and vegas? Ack, too much for fans!
I'd hate it if they did that with muppetfest^_^

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Hey, Cory! I missed you guys too.

I didn't realize they had taken the logo off. I'm not surprised, though. You wouldn't believe how many people I talk to about Farscape sneer and call it "Muppets from Space." Obviously these are people who haven't given it a chance. If anything, they go TOO far the other direction!

Take care,

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I didn't realize they had taken the logo off. I'm not surprised, though. You wouldn't believe how many people I talk to about Farscape sneer and call it "Muppets from Space." Obviously these are people who haven't given it a chance. If anything, they go TOO far the other direction! <<<

man, are these the same people who think puppets are lame and that everything should be dominated by cgi? this may sound like sci fi sacrilege, but out of babylon 5...enterprise...andromeda...etc I think Farscape has been the freshest 'trek' type show to come out in a long time. I just wish I didnt need to have cable to see it, ack! Anyways, good to see ya posting again Tom!
PS: You will be attending Muppetfest 2003 right?^_^

dwmckim

Reaction score
DVD's:

The situation is improving. A best of season one box set was made available comprising six essential season one episodes with a lot of the extras that were on the season one discs and it looks like a proper "all of" season one box set will be coming out.

And the new season 2 DVD's are following the UK format of "double DVD releases" so two DVD's come out at a time (the first one includes Mind The Baby/Vitas Mortis and on disc two Taking the Stone/Crackers Don't Matter)

Re: con

Originally i wasn't intending to because of MuppetFest being in fall but now that it looks like it's been pushed back til spring i had been toying with the idea of going to a Farscape con this year...however i'm not in the greatest boat financially since even though i have a job at present after being fired for being gay at my last one, it's part time hours, making close to half of what i was used to, and no benefits - it's essentially a "get SOME money now while i continue to search for something better" job. So i'm a bit hesitant to be splurging on something that's going to cost hundreds of dollars considering travel,ticket,hotel, etc. If i go to one it will more likely be the Vegas one since it's a little closer and just for variety sakes. (cheaper too!)

Logo:

The name "Jim Henson's" has never been a part of the "Farscape" logo. (Like "Jim Henson's Bear in the Big Blue House" or "Jim Henson's Fraggle Rock"). On the show, the Jim Henson television logo is very prominent during the closing titles and on just about all the merchandise you can see the Jim Henson logo usually pretty big in comparison with other text, even if it's not "with" the Farscape logo. Usually if you see anything with the Farscape logo itself it's "Created by Rockne S. O'Bannon". This could be because Farscape is a co-production of not only Henson, but also Hallmark and initially Nine Networks Australia. But also there probably was a bit of strategy in the beginning since Farscape is really the first series done *specifically* for an adult audience (yes, The Muppet Show was to be a puppet show for adults in one sense, but still one that the kids could watch and enjoy). Since the Henson name has become so synonamous with family entertainment, they probably decided not to make the logo "Jim Henson's Farscape" so as not to make people think it was going to be that "fluffy" or lightwight and have people not even tune it or give it a chance. People know it's Henson as the logo's there very prominently at the end and on the merchandise but it's also not hit-the-viewer-over-the-head either.

beaker

Reaction score
aw, thanx for clearing that up dw! tho, i coulda swore they used the jh handwriting above farscape logo in early stuff.

anyways, sorry to hear about your financial situation, mine is pretty bunk right now too. but i must ask...what do farscape fans htink of THREE cons? thats too crazy for me!