What would happen if Sesame Workshop retired Elmo?

mikebennidict

Reaction score
es, but I mean the difference is that they specifically cater to that group most of all now. It's written specifically for them in mind... something I don't agree with one bit.
The pre-school age has always been ther shows main target audience and while they might of had older people in mind watching along with them, whether it was adults or older children, they were never equal with the main target audience.

At least I doubt they were.

My question is why should they make it any different?

Just because you want to continue watching it?

ferrell

Reaction score
they should just get rid of Elmos world and place him on the street with the rest of the characters,he's already an antisocial character who talks to his fish and his household objects in his house and the dude that lives in his wall....in some ways he's kind of creepy if you think about an actual human doing the antisocial things you see him doing you would think he was a creepy guy...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
they should just get rid of Elmos world and place him on the street with the rest of the characters,he's already an antisocial character who talks to his fish and his household objects in his house and the dude that lives in his wall....in some ways he's kind of creepy if you think about an actual human doing the antisocial things you see him doing you would think he was a creepy guy...
Lol, never thought of it that way. Sort of like a guy who gets his own local cable show in his basement at 3am and just does whatever he feels like, lol.

"Elmo's World! Elmo's World! Party time! Excellent!" :insatiable:

muppets2

Reaction score
1 sentence get rid of elmos world

and put elmo on the street

Drtooth

Reaction score
The worst part is that he's on both. Really. I admire what Joey wants to do with Murray... keep him separate from the others, and have him go off on his own "Uncle Matt" style adventures. In fact, the 39th season opener had Murray awkwardly placed in that random scene in the laundromat, and he didn't like it.

Now, I think Elmo, if anything, should be a character on the street like all the others. Provided he shares the spotlight... NO Elmo's World... no solo segments... just a street character... make the segments longer, and have one short scene or clip with him in it instead of the world segments. That;s where their experiment went wrong... taking the EW segments out of episodes that didn't have Elmo in them.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I wonder what the repercussions would be if they dared to show an episode with no Elmo at all. No Elmo's World, no street scenes, just a glimpse of him in the opening credits, and that's it.

Would children/adults go through withdrawal symptoms?

Would children be traumatized and need to be put on Prozac?

Would this be the end of civilization as we know it?:eek:

Who would suffer more, the children watching, or some of the people on this board?:search:

Of course this will never happen, but I can dream, can't I?:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I wonder what the repercussions would be if they dared to show an episode with no Elmo at all. No Elmo's World, no street scenes, just a glimpse of him in the opening credits, and that's it.

Would children/adults go through withdrawal symptoms?

Would children be traumatized and need to be put on Prozac?
Possibly... the way we're drilling "schedules" and "consistency" (e.i. Monotony, rigidity, and basically the entire opposite of spontaneity) into these kids because of conflicting reports. Apparently, this monotony "comforts" children. I think it just prepares them for an inflexible future... you know, something that our schools do, Sesame Street shouldn't have to :big_grin:

When they aired these EW-less episodes, from the reports, you'd think their test group was rolling on the floor, crying, whining, throwing furniture, and basically wandering around directionless because 15 minutes of a segment would have to wait an entire day. Really... THIS is the kind of kid you wind up with with this illogic of raising kids. This is what Baby Einstines breeds, in my opinion... If there wasn't a certain character on Sesame Street that day when we were younger, it was no big deal. Heck, all those episodes without Big Bird, and none of them protested.

Face it... SW created a Frankenstein. And they dug themselves so deep with it they can never go back, no matter how hard they try, how hard they want to please the old schoolers with kids... they're stuck with him. It's making them money, though, but they're stuck with him.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Elmo can stick around; but, doesn't need to be the main focus. I like him, but in tiny servings.