What fabric is this?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
That's a sort of fake leather/vinyl material. It's fairly common. They used to sell it (or at least something very similar to it) in the fabric shops along Queen Street West in Toronto. If it's the stuff I'm thinking of it has a bit of a stretch to it.

Jinx

Reaction score
Generally it is not too difficult to find if you don't need a specific color. Start by looking in the upholstery section of your local fabric store.

As Buck mentions there are many variations available; different weights, surface finishes, etc. Some do stretch, others do not. Some are laminated to a woven backing.

Be advised also that it is not "breathable" so heat and moisture are likely to build up unless specific venting is factored into your design.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
In the 80's I had a Michael Jackson "Thriller" Jacket made from the same material. In those days we called it PLEATHER - I think that isn't the right name for the fabric, but I was the coolest person on the block...and use to get beat up daily...in retrospect I should have been a Van Halen fan.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
In the 80's I had a Michael Jackson "Thriller" Jacket made from the same material. In those days we called it PLEATHER - I think that isn't the right name for the fabric, but I was the coolest person on the block...and use to get beat up daily...in retrospect I should have been a Van Halen fan.
HA HA! You made me snort just now!