Weinstein rolls with Fraggle Rock movie

Beauregard

Reaction score
If nothing else the tunnel walking will be wonderful now :big_grin:.
*finds that last comment hilarious*

Bea:zany:{Sorry if this seems like a waste of a post...I just had to let people know I was sniggering loudly in a room full of relations and they were all looking at me oddly...imagine if I tried to explain?}regard

Redsonga

Reaction score
*60 mins of walking later*

Boober:
"I have to say Gobo this has been the most enjoyable adventure of epic proportions I've ever been on! :big_grin:"

Beauregard

Reaction score
Wembly: *being carried by this point* Yes it was. Epic! Was it? Wait...

Redsonga

Reaction score
Red:
"Yeah, as epic as counting hanging cave moss :stick_out_tongue:"

Mokey: *happens to actually have been counting hanging moss clumps all this time*

"One thousand nine hundred and fifty five...."

Beauregard

Reaction score
*laughing again much to my embarrassment when, again, asked what is so funny*

Redsonga

Reaction score
Gobo:
"Aw c'mon guys, look on the bright side; the cave walls are real pretty 'eh?"

*hee* I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself, I'm just feeling very fraggley today :3

Luke

Reaction score
But no, there will be no kung-fu fights in slow motion.
Not even one? Well thats it, i'm boycotting the movie.

No seriously, It doesn't need to be Fraggles walking around talking like Snoop Dog but i do think its entirely possible to give the Fraggles a bit of an update, and write an adventure thats a little more fast paced and relevant. It needs that update to have any chance of getting the kids to watch, and yes, it doesn't neccasarily need to fly against everything the original stood for to be able to do that. Sprocket, Doc, Gorgs, Fraggley Songs ... they can all still work and fit in well with any movie - maybe it'll be even funnier to see that set in todays world.

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'm with you! *joins the cotswolds of the boys*

To be honest, they do need to have something Adventurous in order to be themselves. Back in the day, adventures meant gathering radishes and avoiding Gorgs...Now, adventures mean breaking into factories to try and stop global warming (Or is that just the Sarah Jane Adventures?). It won't (hopefully) be changing their dynamic...just putting their dynamic into action in a bigger, more fleshed out, fuller way.

Think about it...If there had never been a Muppet Movie until now, we would be nervously hoping it includes all the characters and doesn't drift too far from the Muppet Theatre. We'd never have imagined that it would start at a swamp and show Kermit meeting new friends and working his way into a "Rich and famous" contract! It was so much more epic than something set in the theatre, with car-journeys and great big helicopter shots and Doc Hoppers (whatever they are), and stuff and things like that.

Hopefully the Fraggle Movie can be the same.

Redsonga

Reaction score
Well the thing about a FR movie vs. the first muppet movie is that the muppets even when they were just doing the show were still doing it in the human world since it had human guest stars, so taking that idea and going back to the beganing in the human world and showing how Kermit got to the point of having a show was not too much of a jump if you think about it...

Where as with the fraggles it was more always starting with their world, which is not ours at all and going outward from there and showing how we are the same and different..So to keep that fraggley feeling a lot more of the fraggle pov on things and their culture has to be kept IMHO. It's not just window dressing, it is them :stick_out_tongue:.

I guess my point is when someone comes from a different culture and the whole soul of the show is about that culture and how it is different from ours 'updating' that culture (or only showing bits of it or 'toning it down') to better fit with todays world doesn't make much sense IMHO. The fraggley culture is a very give peace a chance hippyish one (in a good way), but their own timeless brand of it, not our human worlds version ; ). In fact now that I think of it, our worlds' hippies might have learned their ideals from fraggles and not the other way around..it makes you think....

I think it's funnier when the focus is not so much on updating and todays world (as the more of 'today's world' you put in anyway the more dated it gets right away for that matter. Today's world comments were always more of a main muppet thing than a fraggle thing anyway :stick_out_tongue:) but in telling a good story that could take place at anytime, and timeless comments on human habits :smile:. And to me that doesn't mean kung-fu fights. If it scares off a few short attention span viewers..well, maybe they'll go and *gasp* read a book or something :wink:.

For that matter it is sort of silly to say that no children what so ever would watch a less than hyper movie *lol* Not all of them are like that, some like slower and thoughtful :wink:...If they did'nt there would be no new fans the the older series, which I know for a fact there are...and that said to, the older series wasn't IMHO exactly boring in pace to began with, it had lots of energy :3

Beauregard

Reaction score
Well, yeah, I get that too. I'm not saying that it should be Kung-fooey...that wouldn't make sense at all!

But at the same time, Fraggles have always included "human" references in their songs, such as, "Death and taxes and all" Do Fraggles pay Taxes?

I'd love to see it start in Fraggle Rock, *then* come into the real world, which would be a wild and confusing place for a Fraggle. Make some sort of impact on our world, and then return to their own.

I still wanna see Gorgs on the Golden Gate Bridge...