Three Seperate Journeys

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Hi guys. This story is a continuation of Everybody has a Song, and is a bit complex, so for clarity reasons I have stated the name of the chapters’ main character(s) after the chapter number. Hope you guys enjoy!

Disclaimer: I do not own Fraggle Rock. I do this for pleasure, not profit.

Chapter 1

Red and Gobo

As soon as Gobo touched the archway, he felt the wind envelop him. He shut his eyes, still barely believing what had happened just hours ago. The only thing that made it seem real was the awful pain in his chest. It was agony to go back over the weeks and days, trying to figure out what it was about Boober that made Mokey love him enough to want to be his mate. What did Boober have that he lacked?

Gobo had wanted to introduce Mokey to a new world- his world, a world where excitement was around every corner, and instead, she’d chosen Boober’s world, a world of pessimism and socks nobody wore. Gobo didn’t understand it.

Suddenly, Gobo heard Doc’s door open. Sprocket and Doc came into the room, arguing.

“I know I should propose to Ms. Ardath, Sprocket, but I can’t get up the nerve to do it! People don’t get married at my age!”

“Rowf!”

“I know she’s the same age as I am! I’d just feel like a fool…”

Sprocket shrugged, and then noticed Gobo sitting forlornly by the hole in the wall.

“Ro-ro!” Sprocket barked, running over to greet his friend.

Gobo’s mouth twisted into a pitiful half-smile. “Hey, Sprocket.”

“Gobo, what’s wrong?”

Gobo stood up, gulped, looked Doc in the eye, and said, “I’m ready to see Outer Space.”

Doc blinked. “What brought this on, Gobo?”

“Nothing,” said Gobo, breaking eye contact with Doc.

Doc didn’t reply. He was deeply troubled. From what Gobo had told him about Fraggle Rock, Doc gathered that Gobo’s home had a society that was much more giving and loving than that of any human’s home. Until people could learn to be as kind as Fraggles, or until Gobo learned more about how cruel some living things could be, he knew a visit to what his young friend called Outer Space could be traumatizing. After all, Gobo wasn’t as dense as his uncle- he wouldn’t just dismiss the facts.

“Gobo…I don’t know if you’re ready for that. You don’t know enough. You could get hurt.”

“But I can’t go home!” Gobo burst out before he could stop himself. “Mokey-”

“Wait a minute. This is about a girl?”

“I’m going now. Watch me.”

“Gobo, wait!”

Gobo ran through the open door and into the road. Suddenly a car speeded down the lonely desert path towards him. Gobo turned and froze in the headlights like a deer.

Doc ran after Gobo, and the car swerved out of the way. The driver stuck his head out the window.

“Hey buddy, what d’ya think yer doin’?” His face was red with anger. He didn’t wait for an answer; he sped off.

Gobo was quivering with shock. After making sure no one was hurt, Doc led Gobo back to the house, explaining about cars and how dangerous they could be.

“You mean Silly Creatures ride in those things?” asked Gobo, still shaking. “Those could really hurt someone!”

“Obviously he couldn’t see you, like I couldn’t for all those years,” said Doc, stepping over the threshold. “Few people in this world see anything but what they want to see. It takes a very special person to look past the surface, I suppose. But Gobo, this is why I don’t think you are ready. You’ve spent barely five minutes out here and already you got in trouble. You need to go back where you belong.”

Gobo nodded mutely. Yes, he would go, but he wasn’t about to go home. He was going someplace that was perhaps even more dangerous than Outer Space, to prove to Mokey that he should be her mate. He would go to the place Boober had run away from. The Grove.

0o0
“It’s not you, Boober, I just don’t think I’m ready to move into your cave yet.”

Mokey sat near the pool in the Great Hall, feet dangling in the water. Boober sat next to her.

“I knew this wouldn’t last,” he fumed.

Mokey smiled at Boober’s paranoia.

“Oh, no Boober, I still love you! I’m just worried about Red. Yesterday, she tried to break Gobo’s old records.”

Boober’s mouth dropped open. “All of them?”

“Yes, all of them. She winces whenever she hears his name. She acts like she can’t stand him whenever the subject of him comes up.”

“You haven’t been able to figure out why he left?”

“Not yet.”

Suddenly, Red ran up to them. “Hi guys! Have you seen Lana? I need to get rid of some stuff Gobo g- I mean, some of my things.”

“Lana’s not here,” said Boober, his unseen gaze calculating. “She’s preparing for her Minstrel test.”

“Oh,” said Red. “Well, I guess I’ll see you later then.” Her laugh sounded forced.

“Mhm,” said Boober as Red ran back to her room.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Looks like Gobo perhaps misunderstood Doc's advice, haha. Thanks for posting!

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Note: This Chapter won't make much sense if you haven't read my previous fanfic, Everybody has a Song, so you may want to read or reread that before you proceed here.
Chapter 2

Boober

Boober said goodbye to Mokey and walked to Gobo and Wembley’s room. His thoughts were with Red. Red was like his sister, and he hated to see her in pain when he was so happy. He would ask Wembley to keep an eye on her. That would make his worry go away.

As he grew closer to his destination, Boober thought he could hear things being thrown around inside the room. He hurried to the door and gasped at what he saw.

Red was on Gobo’s side of the room, and most of his possessions were scattered around her feet, broken. As Boober watched, Red picked up Gobo’s banjo. She didn’t even seem to realize what she was doing. Her expression was angry, showing a kind of brokenhearted fury in which one can easily get lost.

“Red, stop it!” said Boober. He grabbed hold of the banjo and tried to tug it from Red’s arms. “Stop!”

Red’s eyes shifted, and she seemed to come back to herself. She looked in bewilderment at the mess around her, realizing what she had done.

“Did I do that? Boober, what’s wrong with me?”

“I think I have some idea,” said Boober. ”But let’s get this stuff cleaned up first, okay?”

The two Fraggles cleaned in silence. When they were done, Boober said, “Now sit down.”

Red sat obediently on the floor.

“Say ah.”

Red rolled her eyes but complied. ”Ahhh.”

“Uh-huh. It’s happened.”

“What? What’s happened?”

Boober looked at Red gravely. “You’re in love.”

“I’m not in love! I hate him! I absolutely loathe Gobo!”

“Because he went away. Why don’t you tell us where he really went, Red? He’s not really mappimg the Cushy Caverns, is he?”

Suddenly, Wembley ran into the room, closely followed by Lana and a Fraggle in a long, hooded gray robe.

Red and Boober barely had time to exchange a puzzled glance before the strange Fraggle lowered her hood, which had been obscuring most of her face. She had lavender fur and a mop of curly indigo hair.

Boober looked at her for a moment, as if trying to place her. Then-

“Erin!” he gasped. “What are you doing here? You live in the Grove!”

“Lana’s been helping Grove Fraggles escape. The Grove’s Oldest Fraggle has been getting more and more irrational. We don’t know how to explain it, but as soon as Lana clears it with Cantus and the others, she’s going down to investigate.”

Boober wanted to protest, but then he remembered something the spirit of his mother had said when he’d been trapped in the Undergrounds a few weeks ago. Prepare for the refugees. He nodded.

“Boober?” said Wembley. “We have something else to tell you.”

“On the way back from the Grove, one of the Fraggles we decided to take back with us has amnesia. We didn’t even know he’d escaped until today.”

“Escaped what?”

“The fire.”

In that moment, Boober realized two things. First, that the Fraggle in question was his father. Second, that his father had no memory of him.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
Wow! I do not believe this. First, Boober thought his parents died from the fire, but he didn't know that his father escaped from the Grove. So, that's the secret! Hmmmm! Please more story! I'm in hunger to hear more details. We know Red has a fight or is angry with Gobo, but the way she feels about him once he leaves, she is sad at first then mad at him for leaving. That is so Red! :excited: Ha ha! Good work, mostlikemokey!

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Don't worry! I've only abandoned one fanfic, and it's not an expierience I intend to repeat. I type slow, though, so be patient! I'm really glad you like it! In the meantime, read The Fraggle from Outer Space by Gold Demona. It's epic. You can find it in the Fanfic Library Index. Rest assured, though- there will be more of mine!

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Here's more story!
Chapter 3

Lana

Fraggles often don’t realize that their Songs can change.

Lana, having been able to hear Songs since the day before the fire, knew that while the melody of a Fraggle’s Song stayed the same all their lives, the tempo and rhythm could change based on a Fraggle’s mood or mental state. Boober’s Song was interesting to Lana. This was not only because of their close relationship, but also because of his sidebottom.

A sidebottom, Lana knew, was a part- usually the lesser or deeper part- of a Fraggle that was suppressed or denied. The sidebottom usually would try to become a part of its Fraggle’s personality again by appearing to the Fraggle in some form or another. Nevertheless, Boober’s split personality made interesting changes to his Song.

His Song had once been a series of light, happy notes with an undercurrent of deep bass notes that represented his depressed side. But now the two had flipped and split, so the happy part was barely audible. Add the fact that he was nervous about seeing his father, and his Song was a stilted jumble, a noisy mess.

They had used the excuse of a medical check-up to get him in to see his father. As far as they could tell, Boober’s father couldn’t remember what either he or Boober looked like, so there would be no danger of revealing too much too soon. Still, Boober was so nervous that he was having trouble carrying his medical tools. Lana gently took them out of his arms, cursing Teanna (for that was the name of the Groves’ Oldest Fraggle) and all she had done to her family.

Lana and Boober met Erin at the doorway.

“We’re going to have to be more careful than I originally thought,” said Erin quietly.

“What do you mean?” asked Boober and Lana together.

“He doesn’t remember minor details- what he looks like or anything like that- but he thinks he’s back in the time when Glenda was pregnant with you, Boober. He thinks your mother’s still alive.”

Just then, Mokey and Red came up. They caught Erin’s last sentence and gasped.

Boober was very quiet. Mokey wrapped her arms around him.

“I love you,” she said. It was enough.

Boober came through the door with his trail of friends behind him. Red and Mokey stayed near the doorway, giving them space.

Boober was still holding on to a bit of doubt. Maybe it won’t be him, he thought as he came closer, not daring to look, not yet.

But it was. In the middle of the room, sitting on a chair, was Boober’s father.

He was tall, with turquoise fur and red hair, like Boober’s. His eyes were visible. He looked healthy and strong, much to Boober’s relief. He looked at Boober and smiled; it was a gentle smile, but there was no recognition in it.

“Hello,” he said. His voice was pleasant and warm.

“I’m here to check your health. Do you mind?”

“Not at all, but I won’t be staying. I was out getting something for my wife and lost my way.”

Boober paused for a second, looking towards Mokey. Lana put a hand on his shoulder.

“Well it can’t hurt, can it,” said Boober.

“I suppose not. But I really must get back. She’s due to have a baby soon. A boy. We’re going to call him Boober. She’s so excited- she painted his room yellow. She’s a wonderful artist.” He sighed. “I just wish he could grow up in a better place than the Grove.”

Red stepped forward. “Don’t worry- I think he’ll be fine.”

0o0
“Teanna has to be taught about music!” said Lana to the Minstrels. “If she doesn’t learn that music is a good thing, who knows what could happen?”

“Many have tried to teach Teanna, and many have failed. She is…complex,” said Cantus wearily, seeming even more lost in thought than he usually was.

“More like a terror,” said Murray, chuckling.

“All right, Cantus, understand that I now have no choice. I, Lana Fraggle, declare my trials.”

“The Minstrels gasped. Cantus would usually give you some kind of test to determine your worth as a Minstrel- making your own test was an option, but rarely done.

“I request Cantus to be my guide and the Grove my place of jurisdiction, effective tomorrow,” Lana concluded.

“Very well,” said Cantus said,” his voice soft. “But before you choose me as your guide, Lana, there is something you must understand.”

“What?”

“Teanna is my sister.”

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
(Gasps) Tenna is Cuntus's sister? That's strange, but shocking. Now I know why that when Dave started the Muppet Show, he was worried and terrified of death and laundry. Now I know why Boober was developed based on the puppeteer who was afraid of anything. I read further when I researched that he lived in New York, a crowded place with unhappy and busy people. Interesting! Thanks for the update, Mokey. I tell you! Silly Creatures are so weird, but they get interesting. Please update more! Thanks!

mostlikemokey

Reaction score
Yep, she is! There's more to her (and Cantus) than meets the eye.