1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Things you miss

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by galagr, Sep 30, 2012.

?

What do you miss the most?

1. The old Charcters

79.2%
  2. The animations

33.3%
  3. Certain Cast Members

37.5%
  4. The Setting

20.8%
  5. Nothing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.

1. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

The show has gone through a lot of changes thorugh the years? Do you miss anything in particular? NOTE: I know people miss the "Elmo-less" days, but please refer all comments about "it" in this thread, otherwise, we'd have a whole thread about Elmos! So, what do you miss? The One-shot characters of the 70's? The animations of the 80's? Or the.......... er, 90's?

Just as an example, I miss the "old" Rosita. Remeber when she was the affectionate one? That was another aspect Elmo took over. I miss the "old" Rosita, especially her wings. She was the first character to really bring that to the street. For Example: http://www.sesamestreet.org/play#media/video_bd033d87-1561-11dd-a62f-919b9832668

Now when was the last time you saw that? Another thing. Murray Monster. Not that he's a bad character, but when I go to turn on Sesame Street, and I see this Red Monster yelling at me, I'm quite surprised. I just wish he would yell less. Okay, rant over.
  2. vettech28

vettech28 Active Member

I do miss the old animations the show had, "Ladybug's Picnic", "That's about the size", and "Teeny Little Superguy". I wish they would reuse those. Some of the remakes made kind of stink, however, the remake of "A loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter" that was on this new season was good, I liked it.

I know I've said this before somewhere else, but I miss a lot of the old sketches with characters like Guy Smiley, Forgetful Jones, Sherlock Hemlock, etc. I wish they could use them again.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I guess I kind of miss the simplicity of the street in general: I mean, back in the day, the set pretty much had two major structures (123, and the tenement building with the Fix-It Shop and Hooper's), and a secondary structure (the carriage house), with additional minor locations (Big Bird's nest area, Oscar's can, etc), the rest was pretty much painted flats that gave the illusion that the street was a bigger location than it actually was. Nowadays, there are so many secondary structures, you could get lost in (Elmo's apartment, the apartments behind the garden, the subway station, the flower shop, the abandoned store next to Big Bird's nest, etc).
  4. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, such is the way of a NY city street. I don't even think I've a seen a street like theirs that's curved with yard in the middle like that. There COULD be one, but I've yet to see one.
  5. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

i voted for the old characters i miss the characters like guy smiley,sherlock hemlock and especially don music :(
    Plaid Fraggle and Sesame Skates like this.
  6. D'Snowth

Certainly not curved so much, but I think the closest thing to a yard like theirs would be maybe vacant lots, much like Big Bird's nest area used to be.
  7. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Active Member

In addition to everything mentioned in the poll above, I miss how the episodes used to have an actual plot storyline, with all the inserts and stuff in between. Plus, I also miss seeing any insert from the first 3 decades of the show, especially anything where Jim Henson's voice was heard.
  8. i like old charecters like guy smiley,sherlock hemlock and don music:)
    Sesame Skates likes this.
  9. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

So happy that I could vote for more then one thing . First I miss the old Sesame Street theme song (the first style). I miss seeing Slimey and as for cast members, I miss Susan.

10. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Certainly the older characters, but also the live action segments that gave you a chance to breath.
  11. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

Big Bird being the show's main character.

The magazine format.

Seeing classic Ernie & Bert sketches.

Prairie Dawn.

"Around the Corner".
  12. D'Snowth

Prairie Dawn's gone now?
  13. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

Agreed. More than anything in the above poll, I miss the "old" format.
  14. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

I haven't seen her in new material on the tv show since like season 39.
  15. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Prairie made a silent, 4-second cameo in the "Furry Potter" ep. last season. She does appear in a sketch made for the new Kinect game though.
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I miss the not block format. I mean, I get what they're going for, and they're somehow making the main show like the international versions, which are all segment based compilation shows now... but I really miss the street story being broken up and shown through out the episode. It's a shame that when they tried it more recently, it flopped with test groups.
  17. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

I still say if Elmo were included in those street story's there may have been a better response. Elmo was barely featured in any of those 2 episodes at all. I have a funny theory that those episodes were filmed without Kevin Clash knowing so he wouldn't find out they were trying to phase out EW, lol.
  18. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

It's a shame they painted themselves into such a corner relying so much on one character. ;)
    Sesame Skates and galagr like this.
  19. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

I do miss that too. I can't see how kids will learn with the format they are doing now.
  20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

They could go with Elmo and not the block format. It is giving them higher ratings, and the character specific segments are pretty good (just repeated too many times). But I've been missing the old format since the dramatic shift in the 2002 season. And once they tried to move away from it, they got pulled back in.

That was clearly the case. Except I don't think there was a conspiracy theory with Kevin and EW at all. They were starting to produce much less of them by then anyway. Why they chose to experiment with very Elmo-less episodes is beyond me. I get what they were trying to do, but they set themselves up for failure without just jamming some Elmo skit around the 40 minute mark.