The Year In Review

Reaction score
I guess the closing of the "New York Muppet Workshop "did not warrant any kind of special recognition.Seems to me with out there tireless efforts in the last year , we wouldn't have had half as many of these events as there were.

but thats just a angry former puppet builders opinion.

down with Charlie Rivkin ,Paula Spooner and the rest of the corporate morons!!!!!!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by skankin-frackle
I guess the closing of the "New York Muppet Workshop "did not warrant any kind of special recognition.Seems to me with out there tireless efforts in the last year , we wouldn't have had half as many of these events as there were.

but thats just a angry former puppet builders opinion.
Oh my...I had completely forgotten abou this. Indeed, I thought this was quite an aggregious thing to do(in regards to the closing of the ny jhc workshop)

I was hoping they would reopen it or something...I mean that is the backbone of everythign they do.

Well, any hush hush secrets you can indulge us with that we might not know for the coming year?

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Frackle, of course the closing of the NY workshop is a terrible thing. I just chose to focus on things that made me happy in the past year rather than the things that angered me that I can do nothing about. I figured saying "rotten news behind the scenes" was enough to cover just about everything.

It sounds like you're one of the puppet builders that got let go, and if that's the case I'm very sorry to hear it. To end this post on a positive note, the tireless work of the puppet builders was one of the *best* things about last year.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Sorry, I've read things about the "NY workshop" closing down, but haven't completely understood it. What exactly happened?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I've always thought the closing of the workshop was horrible. I think someone might remember my comparing that decision to the "Corporate America" decisions Disney usually makes regarding its own company. I thought it was very un-Henson and thoroughly Disney-esque.

:frown: :mad: :frown:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
So the whole "Jim Henson's Muppet Workshop" in NY closed?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
It was my understanding that the main workshop closed and they reopened a smaller version back at the main offices or something.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Hold on, is this the same workshop featured in "Secrets of the Muppets" from "The Jim Henson Hour?"

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
It was my understanding that the main workshop closed and they reopened a smaller version back at the main offices or something.
Yeah they gave up the space and laid off the majority of people, then moved into the main offices with a smaller staff. In my book thats more a relocation than a closure, um i guess.

Although this is gonna sound real bad, i think they needed to get rid of some people and give up some facilities. In fact, when Valentine or whoever buys the company comes in, i think they'll cull the main staff back even more and maybe even give up the Henson studios too and move everything to New York and rent studio space when they need it like in the UK - all they ever do in Hollywood is rent their own space to rock bands rather than do anything Muppety. The general public see staff cuts as a bad thing, but really in media terms it's way better in the long run for Henson if they are more streamlined and cost effective - that way if they go through periods without much in production they can afford to survive rather than getting into money trouble.

I'm guessing these comments are gonna come back to haunt me and i'm going to be fried like a chicken steak by puppet builders at some point or another.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Yeah they gave up the space and laid off the majority of people, then moved into the main offices with a smaller staff. In my book thats more a relocation than a closure, um i guess.

I'm guessing these comments are gonna come back to haunt me and i'm going to be fried like a chicken steak by puppet builders at some point or another.
Man, at this rate, JHC will be nothing but an employee breakroom at a Downtown Chuck E Cheese and some broken animatronic parts from Creature Shop^_^

As for comments coming back to bite ya in the butt, well apparently Ive thrown so much 'venomous rhetoric' according to people...why stop now? hehe