"The Sunshine Factory"---anybody else remember this show?

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
I remember I used to watch this at my dad's folks' around the time I watched "Dumbo's Circus" and "Welcome to Pooh Corner", but it didn't come on the Disney Channel---it came on somethin' called "The ACTS channel" (I think?---it was satellite).

Anyway, so it was on around mid-80s to '90ish, and it took place in this li'l building where kids would come 'n visit this man. He was like a handyman or repairman or some'in', 'n there was this tunnel or door thing (filled with SUNSHINE) where they would go through 'n come out into the Sunshine Factory.

Here are the characters I remember:

• Haywire---a big ol' Sweetumish-sized puppet who was like the janitor
  • Computer---sorta like on "Star Trek", a computer with an electronic female voice
  • Clarence & Penelope---a caterpillar 'n bird, respectively (male 'n female...respectivley, lol) who lived in or on a tree
  • Crabtree & Smudge---Crabtree was a "rotten" human who lived in a room below the factory, with his pet smudge "Smudge" ("Awww, Cwabtweee!")

I liked Clarence & Penelople a lot, but Smudge was muh fav'rite---heehee!:big_grin:

And the kids would play games 'n stuff ('n maybe learn some kinda lesson, I dunno, lol), 'n then at the end o' ev'ry half hour they'd follow the main guy (whatever his name was---he wore overalls 'n had a moustache) back through the "sunshine tunnel" or whatever to the fix-it-like shop. And the kids would go home all happy.

So does anybody else remember 'is?...:confused:

It was a nice li'l show! :smile:

Really!

It was!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Sounds like a cool show :smile: but it doesn't ring a bell. :confused: There sure were a lot of great shows around that time though. I don't remember the names of a lot of the ones I used to watch. It's a shame they're not around anymore... :frown:
Erin

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Oddly enough, I remember ther main guy you're talking a/b, & the whole sunshine thing, but absolutely none of the rest of it.

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Janice & Mokey's Man said:
I remember I used to watch this at my dad's folks' around the time I watched "Dumbo's Circus" and "Welcome to Pooh Corner", but it didn't come on the Disney Channel---it came on somethin' called "The ACTS channel" (I think?---it was satellite).

So does anybody else remember 'is?...:confused:
Unfortunately, I don't...and I'm usually good at remembering all those old 80s shows. The ACTS channel never made it up to Minnesota (or at least our cable system). From what I could find on the web, it sounds like Sunshine Factory was designed as a Christian kids show--that's pretty cool.

Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Sounds like a cool show but it doesn't ring a bell. There sure were a lot of great shows around that time though. I don't remember the names of a lot of the ones I used to watch. It's a shame they're not around anymore...
I agree. You'd think with hundreds of cable/satellite channels someone would pick on the recent 80s nostalgia craze and re-air some of these long lost shows. There IS a market out there--especially given that us "children of the 80s" are starting to have kids to share them with.

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Well Manda, at least you do remember it a bit. :smile:

Originally posted by Amazing Mumford

You'd think with hundreds of cable/satellite channels someone would pick on the recent 80s nostalgia craze and re-air some of these long lost shows. There IS a market out there--especially given that us "children of the 80s" are starting to have kids to share them with.
You said it, AM...and not only that, but those of us who were kids then now have jobs 'n money to buy 'em on, like, DVD 'n stuff!

(HINT, HINT US market!)

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
This is all I've been able to find on the web so far:

"In 1984, Michael Meece created "The Sunshine Factory," an educational television show to help children develop character values. The series won a Best Children's Show award in from the Christian Film Distributors Association."

and

"SUNSHINE FACTORY - For ages 6-10. Teaches grade-school children how to morally resolve problems and deal with emotional issues. Produced by FamilyNet."

and this page at IMDB:

"Sunshine Factory"

I can't believe I can't find more yet...hmmmm...man, they really need great sites out there for things like 'is, "Dumbo's Circus", 'n "WB to Pooh Corner"! :smirk:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
and not only that, but those of us who were kids then now have jobs 'n money to buy 'em on, like, DVD 'n stuff!

(HINT, HINT US market!)
NO KIDDING!! Even if it's not the complete series, I'd definitely buy a DVD containing a few episodes of these (and many, many other) shows. I'm sure many others who grew up with this stuff would too. (sigh) Maybe someday...

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Me too, AM...and, okay, I may not have a job or $ now, but that's the norm o' folks my age! lol :stick_out_tongue:

(and I hope to again SOON!!)

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Me too, AM...and, okay, I may not have a job or $ now, but that's the norm o' folks my age! lol :stick_out_tongue:
Hehe, that makes me feel better! :stick_out_tongue: Better yet, they should put them all on the air again, on non-premium-cable channels, so we can watch them until we're rich enough to buy all the DVDs! :wink:
Erin