"The Muppets" early script draft

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I recall someone posting it for download here awhile ago, but I deleted it. Does anyone have it (it's called The Greatest Muppet Movie Ever!)?

JimAndFrank

Reaction score
I'm glad someone brought that up. I've been meaning to try and find it. Thanks for reminding me! If I can track it down, I'll let you know.

Weirdo96

Reaction score
Wow, I'm glad they made some changes to the rough draft. Walter being a ventriloquist dummy? Kermit making pee jokes? Miss Piggy having a crush on Gary? What?!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've read much of the script, haven't read the whole thing but have skimmed through it, and there are a lot of great things in this. Pepe gets more lines, Rizzo gets a line, I like many of the triple-cut-aways and flashbacks. I kinda prefer the way this script got the Muppets back together, as a signal instead of traveling, if only because in the movie, Kermit acts like they've got everyone when there's only a small group of them in the car there, but in this script, that behavior occurs in the mansion, where many could be in other rooms and still have it seem as if almost everyone is.

Though this script doesn't give a sense that a lot of obscure characters are there.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Yeah, that it; thanks ToodlesTeam!

I didn't read through much yet either, but my favorite bits they lost were Walter bothering everyone on the bus and Rowlf working at the cat-run Kinko's.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's cool that they referenced the internet videos in the script. Though I don't like that they were called "internet movies". They aren't movies, just short skits/music videos of the Muppets singing. So at least in that draft they acknowledged that the Muppets have done stuff in the last decade.

And it's interesting how the executive asked them why they don't just stick with their internet movies. The Muppets need 10 million dollars, internet videos won't make that kind of money (right?).

And it makes sense that Kermit wasn't aware of them, since he's barely in any of the viral videos. The argument could be made that the Muppets all made their videos separately from each other.

As much as I like the montage flashbacks, I am glad they didn't use the one where Kermit frequently has to go to the bathroom. Kermit has never been known to have a bathroom problem. If it had made it into the movie it would have probably been in the promos as much as the fart shoes.

That joke with Kermit being the only one too fit in the "O" is awkward. It's big enough for the average-sized character to fit (and Gonzo was able to fit in it at the end of the opening). And Kermit is not the smallest Muppet. Robin, Rizzo, or Pepe could surely fit.

I do kinda like the fact that the Muppets broke up because of a misunderstanding with the group photo better than because Kermit and Piggy had a fight leading to the others breaking up.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
I read it all. All 103 pages. I liked some of the lines and scenes in the early script. Didnt like Uncle Deadly not being there and I liked Pepe and Rizzos lines. I liked that there was a lot more of Dr Bunsen Honeydew. The Swedish Chef sketch would have been awesome!

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I wish I could download it but at the same time I want to respect copyright. Besides I'm sure if I seen it including the toilet humor and whatever awkwardness didn't get into the film, It would still probably tick me off. It's like Muppets From Space in a way, there's good things and not so great things. I've seen the new movie and other then fart shoes, I thought it was good but it could have been better in my opinion. As I hear about the Kermit bathroom gags, it just reminds me of what Frank Oz said in an interview on how it was disrespectful towards the characters. I've noticed there was some negative reactions to Frank Oz mentioning on how he felt the 2011 movie was a little too sweet and cute and not the cutting edge anarchic irreverence The Muppets used to have. People have told me that I am forever more stuck in Nostalgia but I agree with Frank Oz 100%. But I do understand and respect that there's people who like the current stuff like the Queen music video and the C Loo music video even though I didn't care for those. But speaking of Frank Oz, didn't he write a Muppet Movie screenplay? I actually thought that was going to be the next Muppet movie was Frank's script. I think someone asked him about it and he said he'd do it if Disney asked him. Has anyone heard if Frank will be involved in a future Muppet movie after Muppets Most Wanted? I'm quite excited too see Louise Gold perform Annie Sue again both as a Muppet Show fan as well as a Spitting Image fan. :smile: