The MuppetCast - Show #88 - Christmas Eve on Sesame Street

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
This is a Special Edition of The MuppetCast, featuring 1978's "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street".

I realized as I listened back over the show that I talk a lot about Jon Stone in certain parts of this special. That's because most of the special came right from Jon's head and heart. The main plot line, in which Big Bird struggles to figure out how Santa Claus can fit down the chimney to deliver presents, came from a question asked by one of Jon's own children. The writing and directorial decisions made on CEOSS give us an hour of television the likes of which isn't made anymore. And I have a few comments about that in the show too.

Christmas Eve on Sesame Street is on YouTube, so make sure to head out and watch it for yourself sometime this week! Here's Part One to get you started, and the links to the subsequent parts are linked from YouTube.

I just saw in my email this morning the latest newsletter from Phillip and Muppet Central. Looks like both of us kept Scott Ganz, Andrew Samson, and Hugh Fink busy last week with interviews :smile: You'll hear all three of them on next week's episode, as the feature will be "A Muppet Christmas: Letters to Santa". I'm still working on my fourth VIP guest, and I'll let you know when/if we get to conduct that interview.

Merry Christmas, and a wonderful holiday season to you!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Listened to the episode earlier today and it made me happy, much like the actual special does. When I was younger, I would always try to catch Christmas Eve from the very beginning as it aired every year on PBS until they took it off. But for some reason I always caught it already started, which is why I'm glad to have a copy of the special in my Muppets VCD library. It makes me happy sad when I hear the full version of True Blue Miracle because of memories, not just from the special itself from when I had better sight, but from other sentiments mingled into it as well. If True Blue Miracle is the most well-loved SST Christmas song, then Keep Christmas With You must be the second most well-loved immediately after. And less us forget the inserts of humor... Kermit says he'll round up some of the guys, though only manages to draft Grover into interrogating the kids. One of the funnier bits is when Grover pretends he's Santa trying to get out of the house and keeps coming back to the kid who's pretending to be asleep, whispering to him to get help in achieving his destination. This, along with Emmet Otter and MFC are to me my quintessential Muppet Christmas specials, though there's room for Letters to Santa if it proves be every bit good as all of you who've gotten to see the online trailers claim it to be.

Happy holidays to all.

Reaction score
I don't think I've actually seen that Christmas Special since whenever the last time it aired on TV. Had some pleasant childhood memories like hearing Bob say "Happy Hanukkah" to Mr. Hooper...and then asking my mother what he meant.

And I'm curious...how many of you muppet fans read "The Gift of the Magi" in high school and thought "Bert and Ernie!"

aixia

Reaction score
This special has always been a favorite of mine. The music is superb, and the various storylines are masterfully constructed. Plus, it's simply hilarious, even for adults. Snuffy trying to stuff his feet into a chimney? Oscar dumping snow on the musicians? And the opening ice skating? Priceless!

Thanks for doing this show, it was so fun to hear bits from the movie and "play" it in my head. :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I love Christmas Eve on SS becuase of the wonderful Bert and Ernie story. I will listen to the Muppetcast tomorow if I have time. I might listen tonight after Letters to Santa if I have time.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
I loved this edition of The Muppetcast! "Christmas Eve on SS" has always been a favorite ever since I can remember.

My favorite part growing up, and even today, was seeing Big Bird out on the roof with the icicle growing from his nose. I always wanted to have one grow from my nose:smile: And then when he just about sees Santa! AWESOME!

Now that I'm older I can appreciate more those bits with the children being asked about how Santa gets in, especially when Grover acts it out and they are whispering! So funny and cute.

I also like it when Maria gets rough with Oscar. I always thought that was so funny!

Thanks again Steve for helping me relive one of the greatest Christmas specials ever!