The MuppetCast - Show #40 - Over The Fool On The Hill

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
It's Beatles week on The MuppetCast! Not much more you can say to that. It's just a rockin' show!

Also, make sure you listen to the most recent Henson.com Official Podcast. Not only does the host, a man with a certain affinity toward toasters, give us the list of the recently announced Henson Honorees, but we are given a definitive answer to a question about the Power of the Dark Crystal which was raised last week. Great stuff as always!

Next week brings the Richard Hunt tribute show. Thanks to everyone who's sent in their thoughts on Richard via email. There's still time to contribute something to the show if you haven't sent anything in and would like to. The email address is me@muppetcast.com.

Have a great week!

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Oh one more thing; I'd advise against PM'ing me right now. My inbox is hopelessly full, lol. Is there some way to archive PMs without filling up your inbox here?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Meanwhile, at MC's forums meeting place.
Hey, you hear about this Steve guy?
Yeah, he's an OK sorta guy.
So, we gonna throw him out?
Nah, he's a friend... Besides, he does great work on that podcast show...
*Steve comes in and all yell "STEEEVE!" much like we would for Norm.

Finished Show 40. What a great one, I'm pumped now.
1 That alphabet with the classical music behind it, it's known as "Madrigal Alphabet".
Check the Wiki, they might have the source of the background music.
2 The song "With A Little Yelp From My Friends", that was performed by another parody character by the name of Moe Cocker.
3 Born To Add... Bought the record when I was younger. The cover, and I'll try to get it photographed and sent to you buddy, featured Bert and Cookie Monster. Bert's dressed in a leather jacket over his normal threads, handling a rock guitar. He's also wearing this round red pin that shows off the equation 2 + 2 = 4 represented vertically. He's sort of leaning in next to Cookie Monster. As for the furry blue cookie-eater, he's dressed up too, probably in as best an impersonation of Zoot as you'll find outside of Saturday Night Live's recent sketch. Funny thing is, when I bought the album, there was no LP inside. Instead, I got a Sesame Street cassette which I probably played the heck out of in my childhood.
4 You shoulda told me about the Beatles focus for this week. Why? Cause I happen to have, and I'll try to get you photos of this too... From the fully-painted fully-articulated almost final version prototypes of Palisades Toys would-have-been Sesame Street Series 1... A little plastic record album in it's sealed baggy sleeve of The Beetles' Letter B with ficticious track listings on the back. Also have the one made of Mick Swagger and The Cobblestones I'll throw in for no additional cost.
5 Coulda sent you the song "Thinking of U" for the show too. LMK if you'd like it though.
6 As far as the two main parodies of the Beatles in the Muppet universe... Like Big Jim said, "you've pushed one of my buttons."
The group that sang "She Loves You" from the Dudley Moore TMS episode were mislabeled. These beetle Muppets are in fact known as Alexander Beetle and The Bug Band. The group of Muppets parodying the Beatles that are truly named "The Beetles" are from Sesame Street. These look more like buggy Anything Muppets, dressed in grayish suits with orange mop-top topped haircuts. Since they were never given individual names I sorta gave them my own, but that's neither here nor there.
7 Amazed to hear some of the songs that turned out to be Beatles' covers.

That's all I got for now... Oh yeah, please LMK if we're still on for later this week. Take care buddy. Just don't let the Cincinnatti Kid dirty up your ISP.
*Kids in the Hall reference.

Yeah, I can go all over the TV culture map like that sometimes.
Have a great week Steve.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Heh... That happens sometimes. If you mean archiving in terms of keeping your PM's forever, yes. Just don't ever delete any of them. Unfortunately, that means they'll take away from the max space of 30 PM's allowed between your inbox (messages received) and outbox (messages sent) combined. Wonder why it hasn't been upgraded to 50 or 70 like at the ol' Palisades forums or Ken's new CMX forums.
At any rate, would advise you delete some of the older ones you no longer want to keep to make room for people to contact you once again. Either that, or save them to some PM personal message file on your computer and then get rid of the lot o' 'em.

Oh yeah, before I forget... You might want to contact Lisa known here as TogetherAgain, as she speaks fluent German and can probably help translating the text from that TM Samson.
Again, good week to you sir.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
1 Thank you! I knew that someone would know what that song was.
2 I remember reading about Moe Cocker on Muppet Wiki, just forgot to mention the name. I think it's cool that the Muppets did both the Sgt. Pepper and the Joe Cocker version of the tune!
3 That's really weird! Yeah, send me the pic!
4 Send those pics too!
5 Send the song. I couldn't find it when I was putting things together.
6 Haha, nice James reference. Thanks for clearing up the Be(e/a)tles references. I knew that there were at least two different incarnations of the Beatles, but I didn't know about Alexander Beetle and the Bug Band. Hehe.
7 Glad you liked the show!

Incidentally, Joe and James have a website up, www.itsunbelievablemagic.com.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Being so excited about the Richard cast next week, I almost forgot about this one, lol. But being a Beatles fan, I have a duty to check this out.

"And when I feel down hearted, there's a sound I know will comfort me. It's the "buh buh buh buh" sound of Letter B..." :wink:

I agree, I wish Paul McCartney could have been on the Muppet Show. However, being a George fan, I wish "The Quiet One" could have been there even more! I read somewhere that the Muppet gang was at Saturday Night Live during the episode George Harrison appeared in. There's also a photo I've seen many times of George Harrison at SNL with a Kermit doll, lol. Also, in an old interview, George's girlfriend (later wife) Olivia had the Kermit doll put his hands over his eyes and said, "Look, he's doing one of our meditation techniques! He's blissed out!" Hehe :smile:

And actually, I'd said Floyd and George are sort of similar. They both took their musicianship very seriously and got frustrated when others didn't. And they both recorded "While My Guitar Gently Weeps." (One of my favorite Beatles tunes!) :sing:

Also, I went to Beatlefest years ago (a sort of Beatle convention) and they always have this puppeteer guy doing various shows. One time he got these make shift Muppet puppets out and had little kids come up and puppeteer him while the Muppets' version of "All Together Now" played. It was so adorable, lol. To this day, I can't hear that version of the song without thinking of it, hehe.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Wow heralde, those are some great observation about George and Floyd that I completely overlooked! It seriously blew right by me about "While My Guitar Gently Weeps".

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks! Well George was known for going against expectations, hehe. But again, the cast this week was really good!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It seems like there was some sort of weird audio edit before In My Life was played. It begins with a question that appeared before the segment, then suddenly swithced to another scene from the Twiggy episode for no apparant reason, before going to the beginning of that sketch. What happened there? Did "the phantom of the Muppet Show" have anything to do with this? Or is this some weird Beatles refference?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Creeping in...
Uncle Deadly: And what if I did? Did it ruin your enjoyment of the song in Steve's Muppetcast? Well, did it?
*Glares. *Eases up. *Sighs. A phantomly dragon's work is never done. *Skulks back to the shadows awaiting the next episode.