The Muppet Show question

jgidley

Reaction score
Can someone give me a rough idea of what channel(s) The Muppet Show were originally on?

dwmckim

Reaction score
Wow, that's a way more complicated question than you probably realize.

I'm assuming you're asking about a particular country - but of course TMS was one of the most globally watched shows and each country would have its own answer.

As per the US, TMS was syndicated - so there was no network associated with it. It was aired on various local stations in each market based on who wanted to show it.

jgidley

Reaction score
I've heard that some CBS stations had it(mainly the owned and operated stations, like New York or LA or Chicago)

dwmckim

Reaction score
Key word: "some". Others didn't. Some NBC and ABC stations also carried it as well as independants.

David French

Reaction score
For "some" CBS stations carried it, read "all". Colour adverts from Daily Variety confirm that it was screened in the US by all the CBS-owned stations.

In terms of the UK, ITV aired the show.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Do you have a scan of one as reference? I have a feeling something's getting misinterpreted.

Hard though it may be for some people to believe, there are actually old dinosaurs like myself and many others here that were actually, like, HERE when TMS originally aired. Back in those exotic times when most tv sets only had 12 channels and you actually physically got up to the set itself to change a channel or turn it on or off! We lived through it. We can CONFIRM all those funky things about what the show was like and the airing patterns and the original Zoot closing and the ITC logo (with that majestic music!) that appeared right before and after the show was on!

But one needn't take our word for it. If you really really wanna know all the stations that aired it, i'm sure you can spend lots of jolly fun time in your library going through historical tv listings and seeing what stations aired the show and what their affiliations were (or weren't) Happy hunting!